Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
About the JBLs, they probably were custom made. They surely are not that accurate and they probably don't efficiently reproduce below 50 Hz. I wouldn't recommend them.

FIY, here is a link to a JBL library. This link also covers some of vintage Altec products as well. The names Altec and JBL are somehow related as Altec had bought the Lansing Manufacturing Company which had financial difficulties in 1941. But in 1946, James Bullough Lansing left Altec on the day his contract expired and his company was given a new name, the James B. Lansing Sound Inc. Eventually, it became shortened to JBL.

James Lansing was noted as an innovative engineer, but a poor businessman. As a result of deteriorating business conditions and personal problems, he took his own life by hanging himself in his home in San Marcos on September 24, 1949.

I'm definitely not interested in those, lol. That's why I put it here. It's not often you see a speaker claiming 109 dB efficiency.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Okay, these are different. KEF 104/2s.

View attachment 36013

Well... that's what they looked like new. These images are from the ad. He's asking $600 for them. No thanks! lol

View attachment 36016View attachment 36015View attachment 36014

So I did look these up tho. That port looks huge to me so I knew these weren't typical. I guess they're a band pass type of design? There are a couple of upward firing 8" woofers mounted inside the cab, operating in opposite phase in separate enclosures with about 18" of air between them. Pretty cool. Those woofers are also known to sag over time and dry rot. More likely than not they'd need to be refoamed, if not replaced.

Here's a link to one of the articles I found about them. That's where I got the "good" image too.

Blast from the past. I really wanted a pair of these when they first came out. Then again, I was listening to them on McIntosh monsters, which they desperately needed. Ultimately, I wasn't going to part with that kind of coin back then! Running a business and getting married and all that dumb stuff.

There's a pair of these I saw a few days ago over at AG for $900 (or M.O.), wood finish and look to be in amazing condition.

Earlier models like the ones at AG only had single speaker terminals, but KEF got with the program towards the end of their life cycle. IIRC the first KEF to use coupled cavity woofer alignment, creating a much more lively and dynamic speaker overall than past models. I had a friend with some 105/4's, which were awesome but like molasses in a lot of ways. Compared to my JBL 100's at the time, they were a revelation! Used to see these frequently $500-700ish about 10 years ago.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Weird4.jpg
Weird4.jpg

It looks like the salesman wanted to mask his big mouth :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Blast from the past. I really wanted a pair of these when they first came out. Then again, I was listening to them on McIntosh monsters, which they desperately needed. Ultimately, I wasn't going to part with that kind of coin back then! Running a business and getting married and all that dumb stuff.

There's a pair of these I saw a few days ago over at AG for $900 (or M.O.), wood finish and look to be in amazing condition.

Earlier models like the ones at AG only had single speaker terminals, but KEF got with the program towards the end of their life cycle. IIRC the first KEF to use coupled cavity woofer alignment, creating a much more lively and dynamic speaker overall than past models. I had a friend with some 105/4's, which were awesome but like molasses in a lot of ways. Compared to my JBL 100's at the time, they were a revelation! Used to see these frequently $500-700ish about 10 years ago.
They're still available.

For $600 in that shape I suspect they will be for a good long time too, lol. Did you see the C75s I picked up for 30 bucks in my other thread? Now these C85s just popped up for $300! WTF?!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/scottsdale-audiophile-speakers-kef/7107261875.html

They look exactly like the 75s I have, just taller and ported.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
"Genelec Speakers". That's it for the description along with this single image...
View attachment 36003

Asking $2000! Includes Audio quest cables...
Behringer ripped off that design in their famous Truth series monitor. The passive version of the Behringer monitors were an amazing value back in the day. You could get the 8" woofer version for $120 each at one point. Insane value for those who knew about their performance.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
They're still available.

For $600 in that shape I suspect they will be for a good long time too, lol. Did you see the C75s I picked up for 30 bucks in my other thread? Now these C85s just popped up for $300! WTF?!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/scottsdale-audiophile-speakers-kef/7107261875.html

They look exactly like the 75s I have, just taller and ported.
Hahaha!

So you grabbed C75s? $30?!?! No gun involved?

Man, you're going to need a warehouse to keep your spare speakers soon! Don't think I saw that, you're picking something up every other day!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hahaha!

So you grabbed C75s? $30?!?! No gun involved?

Man, you're going to need a warehouse to keep your spare speakers soon! Don't think I saw that, you're picking something up every other day!
Check 'em out. This is after I cleaned 'em up.

443.jpeg
449.jpeg
448.jpeg
447.jpeg
446.jpeg
445.jpeg
444.jpeg
442.jpeg
441.jpeg

Not too shabby for 30 bucks, huh? I have the grilles too, but they need reclothed. No biggie, I'm pretty sure I can handle that.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Dang! I hate you!

Those are gorgeous!
A little bit of oil (I used to use Watco back before VOC standards) and they'll positively glow!

Those are in amazing shape. Congrats!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dang! I hate you!

Those are gorgeous!
A little bit of oil (I used to use Watco back before VOC standards) and they'll positively glow!

Those are in amazing shape. Congrats!
Test it on the bottom first, but I believe "MinWax Antique Oil" is a very good (as in works well on most surfaces) modern (VOC free) oil to rub down most finishes with!

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
I swear I half expect to see Ripley using that thing to kill the xenomorph.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis