Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don't get your hopes up. Continuity within the SW universe seems to be more of an aspirational thing, as opposed to something the writers actually give two sh*ts about in practice. I mean, I'm still watching, so no judgement. :D
Agreed... and I don't disagree... :p

I think the plot point will be an important part of the story. I would expect it to happen in Part 5, though they will likely set it up in 4. Let's face it, this isn't about the downfall of Ben: he survives this story line. Something will clearly change. ;)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My prediction: Third Sister will change teams. It aligns with wokedom and it’s hardly unprecedented in SW.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
There’s a key plot point we are missing thus far. Any familiar with The Clone Wars and the ending of Revenge of the Sith should have caught the softball lead in at the beginning of part 1.
I’m not into dropping spoilers… but there is a key part about training that Ben needs to accomplish.
I wonder if there will be a surprise cameo… ;)
Don't say it. They got to get the band back together!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There’s a key plot point we are missing thus far. Any familiar with The Clone Wars and the ending of Revenge of the Sith should have caught the softball lead in at the beginning of part 1.
I’m not into dropping spoilers… but there is a key part about training that Ben needs to accomplish.
I wonder if there will be a surprise cameo… ;)
A lack of negative response is likely to be construed as a confirmation.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I hate the words Woke and Wokiness, but 4 episodes in, I can't help myself to agree with the reviews. They might as well be called Star Wars: Reva. Just go to IMDb and sort users' reviews by "newest."

It's not even the show's most significant issue. The writers never bothered to watch original movies, and IMDb's user reviews such as this one are 100% on point. I'd skip on spoiler tag since, C'mon - it's 45 years old by now.

The 'Obi-wan Kenobi' the limited series ignores basic canon. The series was created as fan-service, it delivers few memorable instances, and yet no one thought to include a director (or writers) who actually know the original story. The dialogue is terrible. The acting is laughable. The plot is garbage. I've seen low budget fan films that are more entertaining than this series. I'm a huge fan of the original 'Star Wars' film as well as 'The Empire Strikes Back'. It makes me sick to my stomach watching this nonsense.

The 1977 film 'Star Wars' showed the reunion of Obi-Wan and Vader. Every Star Wars fan can recite the line, " I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master." It isn't easily forgotten. Yet in the new series Obi-Wan meets Darth Vader and almost dies in their battle. This isn't about some strict continuity issue, this is an outright failure.

In the 1977 film Princess Leia leaves that hologram message for Obi-Wan Kenobi inside R2-D2. AGAIN - I don't know anyone who can't recall her "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." message... The complete line is a paragraph long, but it begins with, "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire." Because Leia never met Kenobi, and needed him to understand who she was. The new series recreates the 1977 rescue of Princess Leia (who is currently10 years old) after she is captured by the Empire. Every fan watching this unfold hopes that this Leia will only know Kenobi as a man named Ben, but NO the director and Disney writers allow Leia full knowledge of Obi-Wan Kenobi as the man who saves her. It angered me to no end.

This whole series has angered me, because it doesn't showcase a Jedi at all. We all want the Jedi action, but Disney completely neutered Obi-Wan Kenobi simply to present strong female characters to pick up his frailties. Then why not just make a series about them? Why use a well-known character, generate so much buzz around this beloved character, and then not utilize the character at all? Why not revive the essence of Star Wars and showcase why it's so beloved after all of these years? Kenobi is a Jedi Master, not some novice kid like Luke Skywalker. This is a repeat of the exact problems we had with the 3 prequels... It's nothing like Star Wars and it's really really bad.
The Force Awakens neutered Han Solo, The Last Jedi neutered Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett has been neutered in his own series and now it's time for the Disney character assassination of Obi-Wan, in the next in the systematic destruction of legacy characters.

But let's be clear: this is the Reva show. Obi-Wan has been made utterly incompetent to prop up Reva and Leia. The pattern is getting tiresome.

Also, pretty underhanded move conflating genuine criticism of the show and characters with the abusive messages Moses Ingram is receiving from a microcosm of trolls and gaslighting the fanbase. I'll be clear, I condemn the racist DMs Ingram is receiving, but showing a spotlight on it is only going to embolden the trolls to continue doing it. But Disney know this. Anything for marketing.

The pacing and writing of the show is abysmal. The canon and narrative are being rewritten for purely ideological reasons. This show will be forgotten as soon as the finale concludes and the next derivative show will be "hyped".

This idea that a fan should just accept anything with the Star Wars brand is ridiculous. Disney have corrupted the franchise and will continue to divide the franchise, make no mistake.

I'm done.
4 episodes in ouf 6 total and my current rating of the series is 4/10 and I am being generous about this rating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm forever amused by those being upset by some different roles being used....especially after a particularly one-sided view for so many years without particular merit

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm forever amused by those being upset by some different roles being used....especially after a particularly one-sided view for so many years without particular merit
The issue isn't making women's character strong. There are plenty of examples where is done well (Nikita, Killing Eve, Atomic Blonde, Aes Sedai in both books and tv shows, Dune, etc.) or that matter original grown-up Leila - she always was a real bad-ass.
The problem arises when the main woman character is flawless at the expense of the incompetent male character.

The below comment by "Femme" is especially interesting (The time stamp on it dated 12/19/2021)
Left-wing feminist here, and I completely agree. Hollywood has taken movements for equality and pushed it so far into extremism that it is a caricature of what it should be. What’s leaking through these movies is so extreme and twisted that it leans into misandry as opposed to actual equality. And let me be clear – – I do not want a female version of everything that has already come out. What these films are doing is stripping away what made the originals special. And they had best not come for the goonies. Slightly off-topic, but what’s even worse is when they close ranks around predators like Amber Heard. If Andrew Cuomo being outed has taught us anything, it’s that these movements sometimes provide a smokescreen and protection for problematic people. Heard is point-blank proof that females can be abusive and predatory, yet Hollywood, the UN, ACLU, and even L’Oréal continue to give this woman a job while her victim got fired. For that exact reason I will not be watching fantastic beasts, nor Aquaman 2.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hate the words Woke and Wokiness, but 4 episodes in, I can't help myself to agree with the reviews. They might as well be called Star Wars: Reva. Just go to IMDb and sort users' reviews by "newest."

It's not even the show's most significant issue. The writers never bothered to watch original movies, and IMDb's user reviews such as this one are 100% on point. I'd skip on spoiler tag since, C'mon - it's 45 years old by now.

4 episodes in ouf 6 total and my current rating of the series is 4/10 and I am being generous about this rating.
The Reva and Leia characters annoy the heck out of me. :D

And it’s NOT because I don’t like strong female characters. Quite the opposite. I prefer strong female characters. I love strong badass female characters. I just don’t like annoying characters - male or female or CGI or whatever.

But as long as DARTH VADER is in every episode, it’s worth watching. :D

I would have called the series DARTH VADER. :D

But yeah, so far, this series should be called “Reva & Leia - What the Hell Are They Doing”. :D

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
It's very sad. Disney took a Cinema franchise that was very profitable, toy characters and all, ruined it, drove it to TV, and have now ruined that. Disney shareholders should be very pissed off. Some billionaire superfan should offer to buy the subsidiary that contains Lucas films and hire some quality story and character writers. Given Lucas own sins, the new owner can always start off and redo (reimagine) 1,2, and 3.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha.
The toys were what ruined the franchise!
And I say that as a guy who had a bunch of them. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's very sad. Disney took a Cinema franchise that was very profitable, toy characters and all, ruined it, drove it to TV, and have now ruined that. Disney shareholders should be very pissed off. Some billionaire superfan should offer to buy the subsidiary that contains Lucas films and hire some quality story and character writers. Given Lucas own sins, the new owner can always start off and redo (reimagine) 1,2, and 3.
It's not even the entire Disney. Just replace Kathleen Kennedy with someone better at their job. Mando came out pretty good likely since KK wasn't involved in it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It's not even the entire Disney. Just replace Kathleen Kennedy with someone better at their job. Mando came out pretty good likely since KK wasn't involved in it.
And they should take some inspiration from The Boys running on Amazon Prime Video as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Reva and Leia characters annoy the heck out of me. :D

And it’s NOT because I don’t like strong female characters. Quite the opposite. I prefer strong female characters. I love strong badass female characters. I just don’t like annoying characters - male or female or CGI or whatever.

But as long as DARTH VADER is in every episode, it’s worth watching. :D

I would have called the series DARTH VADER. :D

But yeah, so far, this series should be called “Reva & Leia - What the Hell Are They Doing”. :D
I never said I don't like strong female characters, I gave examples where movies/tv where I liked strong female leads (including Lea in Original Star Wars). The problem arises the female character is propped up while the male character is cartoonishly weak/stupid or otherwise diminished to incompetent.
9-year-old Lea as portrayed in this series is indeed annoying. Riva is so much as annoying, but irrelevant to the larger story. Her unnecessary killing of the Grand Inquisitor creates a massive larger story plot holes. The parkour scenes were ridiculously and terrible looking at. I don't know - they all seem extremely amateurish just like lightsaber "flights" - both terribly orchestrated. Obi-wan deflecting blaster shots with his lightsaber scenes looked like a padawan's first time having a got at it.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Strong female characters do make movies better. If you're a cinema fan, watch an old film noir movie made in the 1940s which were dominated by strong females with great scripts. It has to be within a "realistic" storyline and not obviously raising and exaggerating female characters at the expense of the male ones. You lose half the audience and that's just bad business.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Ha.
The toys were what ruined the franchise!
And I say that as a guy who had a bunch of them. ;)
I saw an adult size Princess Leia doll at a NYC store in a special area of Greenwich Village once in the early 80s. My girlfriend at the time didn't let me purchase it. The hair was perfect. Life is full of regrets.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... Some billionaire superfan should offer to buy the subsidiary that contains Lucas films and hire some quality story and character writers. Given Lucas own sins, the new owner can always start off and redo (reimagine) 1,2, and 3.
Yeah, it would take Elon Musk to buy it if it can be bought in the first place. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw Episode 5. As usual, it’s pretty stupid when Vader is not on screen.

But when Vader is on screen, everything is all good.

Just show me Vader and Storm Troopers. :D

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Re: Ep5. It's the small details that drive me bonkers some times. If the refugees were in such a big hurry to get off of the planet, why were they all huddled along the walls instead of waiting on the ship when the bay doors were opened? They would have been sheltered and ready to go. I suppose it was to build tension but both my wife and I looked at each other and said that was just silly. Vader's force pull was pretty cool though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Vader's force pull was pretty cool though.
So Vader's pull was good for 1st ship, but not the second one. also where the heck 2nd ship is from? Then transport ship brought back Leia and Ben, the hangar was empty. Reva decided to attack waaaay too late. The Grand Inquisitor survived despite being stabbed in the stomach with a lightsaber?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Grand Inquisitor survived despite being stabbed in the stomach with a lightsaber?
Think about what Darths Maul & Vader survived. A little light stabbing between friends is all good :D Dude also looks like the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels, so just as well for continuity.

Also, I feel like I called that third sister would pull the old switcheroo. Amazing how that worked out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis