Now that streaming video sucks and getting worse, can physical media be saved?

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
I'd encourage Audioholics readers to check out the Decluttr website and check out their selection of used DVDs and BluRay disks. They often have great deals like 2 for $6, 2 for $7, or 2 for $8, and I've been able to fill in a lot of my movie collection by taking advantage of these offers. For example, I've purchased a number of Pixar and scifi films that I would not have acquired at full retail. I've not experienced any problems with disks I've purchased from them, but I should tell you they will ship via postal mail so don't expect lightning-fast delivery. I have no affiliation with Decluttr other than as a customer.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I stream movies from, Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and let the TV do some upscaling, if not 4K. That is my cup of tea and todays streaming works for me with no investment in DVD's. Sound quality is good along with PQ.

For me, streaming video meets my requirements from the 3 mentioned.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
There are those who believe optical disc players aren't long for this home theater hobby. Streaming seems like the obvious successor, but it's only going to get more expensive for a service that's demonstrably worse than disc.
Is it a good time for physical media to make a comeback in home video?

Preference for movie disc is presently only a dedicated niche that includes film director Christopher Nolan and he's been vocal about his support for the medium lately. I like to think the market can save it from oblivion. Since the big studios are losing box office revenue, they should be reluctant to end disc sales, even it is just thin sliver of a film's revenue pie.

Personally, I think physical media should be the real choice of patriotic Americans!

A Return to Blu-ray as Streaming Value Evaporates
View attachment 66585
Not happening. The optical disc is dead (R.I.P.). We've been forecasting this for quite some time. I've been looking into collecting some UHD discs of some of my favorite movies before they leave the market and looking at how they are priced, it is no wonder why discs are dead. They are still ridiculously priced. They never really went down after they were first introduced as new technology.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'd encourage Audioholics readers to check out the Decluttr website and check out their selection of used DVDs and BluRay disks. They often have great deals like 2 for $6, 2 for $7, or 2 for $8, and I've been able to fill in a lot of my movie collection by taking advantage of these offers. For example, I've purchased a number of Pixar and scifi films that I would not have acquired at full retail. I've not experienced any problems with disks I've purchased from them, but I should tell you they will ship via postal mail so don't expect lightning-fast delivery. I have no affiliation with Decluttr other than as a customer.
I will check them out.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Some out of print discs are exorbitantly priced these days though. I do prefer physical media for my favorites, but some stuff I can watch and never watch again so streaming is fine. Especially shows, I do occasionally rewatch an episode or two to see if I missed some detail, but unless it was a GREAT show, I'm not likely to watch it again.
If I going to own content, I want the disc. I don't trust services like Amazon Prime Video for purchases because you don't own the content you're only licensing it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Good article.

Thankfully, there are very few movies I care to see more than twice. The price of one time rental is often cheaper than a trivial trip to a convenience store for junk food. I dumped Netflix due to non-usage, which had made their recent price increases an easy out. I watched Shawshank, Forest Gump and Tombstone twice, and I think the Chronicles of Riddick, perhaps. . . then pretty much lost interest in movies altogether in exchange for more music listening. I do still collect hard copies of music via CD, and that's enough for what time I have for entertainment.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
There are those who believe optical disc players aren't long for this home theater hobby. Streaming seems like the obvious successor, but it's only going to get more expensive for a service that's demonstrably worse than disc.
Is it a good time for physical media to make a comeback in home video?

Preference for movie disc is presently only a dedicated niche that includes film director Christopher Nolan and he's been vocal about his support for the medium lately. I like to think the market can save it from oblivion. Since the big studios are losing box office revenue, they should be reluctant to end disc sales, even it is just thin sliver of a film's revenue pie.

Personally, I think physical media should be the real choice of patriotic Americans!

A Return to Blu-ray as Streaming Value Evaporates
View attachment 66585
Just trying to clarify something, are you nothing the stability of a BR or CD as it relates to the audio or are you also noting the stability of the complete streamed signal to include video. Thanks

I like the physical copy residing in my hands. You lose your internet and you lose all streaming unless you are streaming from your own server of an external drive. And another thing, sorry internet service doesn't do you any favors with stability. I guess that's why I have a lot of CD' and LP's plus I'm old.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Bottom line is streaming is a lossy endeavor. The loss depends on your internet speed. You're never going to see 4:2:2, 4:4:2, 4:4:4 streaming.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Good article.

Thankfully, there are very few movies I care to see more than twice. The price of one time rental is often cheaper than a trivial trip to a convenience store for junk food. I dumped Netflix due to non-usage, which had made their recent price increases an easy out. I watched Shawshank, Forest Gump and Tombstone twice, and I think the Chronicles of Riddick, perhaps. . . then pretty much lost interest in movies altogether in exchange for more music listening. I do still collect hard copies of music via CD, and that's enough for what time I have for entertainment.
Same here. After being a ~22/23 year loyal, multiple stream, Netflix customer, after the password lockdown (which they publicly encouraged people to do to get the additional spend), I saved my self $22 / month and use that to purchased used titles.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis