Not supported message on projector

S

shenil

Enthusiast
I just bought an EPSON 9400 projector , It is marketed as 6040 Be in USA and other countries. Replacing my 8300. I have Yamaha AV 3700. To it are connected my set top box for TV, Weston media player, Amazon fire stick , Samsung 3d BD E5500 and Oppo 80 BD.
Prior to to using my Epson 9400 my old projector was giving no problem with any of my devices . But ever since i connected my new projector , i am not getting picture from my oppo and Samsung BD player. I always get the message " Not Supported". with a blank screen.
So far my amazon fire stick was working fine but now even that has started giving the same message,
So far there has been no problem with my TV signal.

Sometimes i do get some pictures on all specially fire stick which may work for half an hour or even more and suddenly blinking of. Some times i get the sound only in fire stick.
i was told by some forums that my HDMI cable was too long at 25 feet so i changed it to 15 feet , that is all I can reduce but problem persists. A
I connected my all three non functioning devices directly bypassing the receiver to the projector and i get the picture fine for new cable of 15 feet . But that was not happening earlier for 25 feet cable when i bypassed the receiver.
My dealer wants me to buy Costly HDMI cable but the forums advise that at such lengths it is not needed. I use Blu rigger 2.0 cable
Is it the HDMI port on my Yamaha receiver ? Though I interchanged my ports many times but that doesn't solve the problem. I have 7 output ports on my receiver.
Could it be some setting on receiver ? though i doubt that because Fire stick was functioning fine so far About couple of months.
I have tried every forum but no where i have been able to find a solution.
Please help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can you confirm the model of your Yamaha AV 3700? I can not find that model listed.

If it is a 2k receiver that may be your problem. Also with those cable lengths, you probably do need an active HDMI cable. The Ruipro hybrid optical cables are what I use and recommend for long runs.

I can tell you that from my experience 2K devices are not always backward compatible with 4K devices, the way they are supposed to be. So if that receiver is an older 2K one that is very likely your issue. HDMI has become a jungle again. A big problem is that manufacturers are not paying for HDCP certification and so you can not be sure what will work with what any more. Yamaha units are apparently certified but none of the other receivers.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
It is Yamaha Rx A 3070 and not 3700. That was a typo. Yes it does process 4k. I have also reduced the length to 15 feet. So it's not too long. Thanks for your answer

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is Yamaha Rx A 3070 and not 3700. That was a typo. Yes it does process 4k. I have also reduced the length to 15 feet. So it's not too long. Thanks for your answer
That is helpful.

I could not get my Oppo player to work with my 4K rig either. I had to put in another room where there is a 2K rig. So I would bet that issue is with the Oppo player.

We have had a number of issues with Samsung products here with incompatibilities, so that is suspect. As for the Amazon Firestick I have no idea. I have not noted complaints about those.

15 ft is actually plenty long for 4K. I advise a hybrid cable with external powering. That gives the best results. I have really good results with that approach.

Your Epson projector claims HDCP 2.2 connectivity, however I find no claims that it is certified. You should call Epson and ask them point blank if your unit has been independently certified. This lack of certification that manufacturers are skipping are causing issues.

Most likely your issue is an HDCP code incompatibility somewhere. The only unit I know you can trust is your receiver. The rest have to be suspect, and therein lies the problem.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It sounds like it may be a cabling issue. You are finally in the world of 18Gb/s HDMI instead of 10Gb/s HDMI. That doubling of bandwidth requires that EVERY CABLE in the mix be certified as an Ultra-Premium HDMI cable. Just look for 18Gb/s advertised as supported by the cable. Yes, you can go back to a 25 foot cable from receiver to projector as long as it supports 18Gb/s. But, the connections between devices and your receiver all must also support 18Gb/s.

The NUMBER ONE issue with people using 4K devices is having cables which aren't capable of handling the bandwidth.

You should be able to test devices directly from the source to the projector to ensure the cable is working as expected. Test all your cables.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree with BMXTRIX. These 4K systems are highly intolerant of bad cables, cables not up to spec, and long cables. I think actually for this new world over 10 ft of copper is a long cable. I strongly recommend hybrid cables. With this new technology cables can be over a 100 ft long with no issues. At the bandwidths a 4K picture requires, copper is going to be marginal. Optical fiber is a better bet.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
Looks like the consesus is towards a fibre cable. Very costly in india . Almost twice of my BD player. But I have no option. Thanks all for your valuable time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You CAN go through your system and set everything to 1080p output resolution manually just to be sure that all signals are passing properly. You can also connect using short cables if you can get your gear close enough to the projector and use short (6 foot or less) HDMI cables which are 4K UHD certified for 18Gb/s as those should work just fine and don't cost a ton of money.

But, at the end of the day, when I connected my new 4K JVC projector, I had to go out and buy a fiber HDMI cable. Yeah, it works very well. It was a bit expensive though.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
Hello again after a month with no solutions anywhere in all the forums in the world.
I bought a high end Kordz Prs3 active cable 7.5 mt costing me about 200 dollars, yes that much in India. but no improvement. I even switched off the upscaler but nothing works. My theater is useless now even the suppliers of Epson are scratching their heads,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello again after a month with no solutions anywhere in all the forums in the world.
I bought a high end Kordz Prs3 active cable 7.5 mt costing me about 200 dollars, yes that much in India. but no improvement. I even switched off the upscaler but nothing works. My theater is useless now even the suppliers of Epson are scratching their heads,
I'm not sure we can sort this out at such long range. My best guess now is that your Epson projector is out of compliance. Yamaha have their receivers HDCP certified.
It is a pity you did not get an optical HDMI cable. They are better. All the same all powered cables can have problems, as the power draw of all of them draw more power than the HDMI spec. Most of the time it works, but not always. So I would purchase a voltage inserter like the one form Legrand. If that does not cure it, then you have an argument with Epson. I do note you are not alone in the misery. Since 4K came along, I have noted an uptick in these type of postings. I think this is because most manufacturers do not want to pay for HDCP certification, and so are more often out of compliance than they want to admit to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What makes Kordz cables "hi-end" particularly? Got a link to the spec?

S

shenil

Enthusiast

S

shenil

Enthusiast
I went through the projector specs and found no HDCP mentioned. So you may be right but even when I by pass the Yamaha receiver I get no 3D. And 2d without sound. My friend just bought a latest Sony ultra HD blue ray player. I used the 1.5 mts cable supplied with it assuming the cable to be 4 k compliance which I think it should be directly bypassing Yamaha. No progress. I think cable can’t be the issue because even I have seen low end cables like Amazons basics working fine at such length . I think something wrong with the projector. The projector has a different model number in USA. Probably Epson TW 6040/6050 BU

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I went through the projector specs and found no HDCP mentioned. So you may be right but even when I by pass the Yamaha receiver I get no 3D. And 2d without sound. My friend just bought a latest Sony ultra HD blue ray player. I used the 1.5 mts cable supplied with it assuming the cable to be 4 k compliance which I think it should be directly bypassing Yamaha. No progress. I think cable can’t be the issue because even I have seen low end cables like Amazons basics working fine at such length . I think something wrong with the projector. The projector has a different model number in USA. Probably Epson TW 6040/6050 BU
If you are having this issue with a BD player plugged directly into the projector and a short cable, then that projector is a dud and needs replacement.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
Yeah that’s what I am beginning to feel. I played Inception Blu-ray on Oppo but I got a picture quality with totally mesh of red and yellow green colour without any sound. With Samsung Blu-ray I got good picture quality with no sound. But Netflix worked ok with some initial blanking out. Let me remind you that my satellite tv and Weston media player are working fine. The epson guys are talking about firmware issue. So I have to wait till Monday. I will let you know. Thanks a lot.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
Friends I finally found the problem with solid confirmation. I took my 3d tv to the basement and connected to the system through the receiver. Everything was fine. So the projector is dud. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I learned a lot.

S

shenil

Enthusiast
Now this is a brain wrecker. I tried on another Blu-ray player Sony BDP S4100. No result but hold your breadth it worked perfectly with Sony PS4. 3d and all with stunning results. Any takers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Now this is a brain wrecker. I tried on another Blu-ray player Sony BDP S4100. No result but hold your breadth it worked perfectly with Sony PS4. 3d and all with stunning results. Any takers?
This just shows what a mess and cluster you know what HDMI still is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis