No audio from desktop

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have a Dell desktop with Windows 11 Pro and I have no audio to my external Pioneer stereo amp. When I click "manage audio devices" it says speakers not plugged in. But it is. I did reboot. There is no x on my volume display so it's not muted. Volume display is up. Realtek properties, device status says the device is working properly. Anything else I can try?
Edit: I hooked my ipod to the amp and it works, so it's not the amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did it work before this, or is this a new setup? Anything change if it did work before?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Is it possible that the sound card went bad even though it says it is working properly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have an alternate way of checking output, like a pair of headphones?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Just checked the output with headphones. Dead silent. Not even any dead audio hiss.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty weird, especially if nothing changed. Some helpful "update"?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you trying to play particularly? A file on the desktop with what program? Or streaming something or using another drive?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I first noticed it was dead when I tried something on youtube. Then an mp3 from my music files.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The fact the you hear jack squat from the connection especially with headphones might mean a bad sound card I am guessing. I wanted to just check with you guys before I order a new one. But why would it say it's fine but also say no speaker is plugged in when there is.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The fact the you hear jack squat from the connection especially with headphones might mean a bad sound card I am guessing. I wanted to just check with you guys before I order a new one. But why would it say it's fine but also say no speaker is plugged in when there is.
Just get a USB DAC and be done with it. Even a budget DAC from Topping would be better than what you are likely using and with no hiss. My PC audio is on the motherboard. There is no separate sound card.

Sounds like the 3.5mm jack, or where it is attached to (ribbon cable perhaps?) the sound card is suspect. That would give a speaker not being plugged in error as well.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Just get a USB DAC and be done with it. Even a budget DAC from Topping would be better than what you are likely using and with no hiss. My PC audio is on the motherboard. There is no separate sound card.

Sounds like the 3.5mm jack, or where it is attached to (ribbon cable perhaps?) the sound card is suspect. That would give a speaker not being plugged in error as well.
Not familiar with a USB DAC. I'll look into it. Thx MrBoat.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
That looks cheap and cheerful but one of the two Jacks is for a microphone, not a second set of headphones.

One last gasp thing I would try would be to go into Device Manager in Windows and un-install the soundcard. Then re-boot and if Windows detects it on the way up, it will automatically re-install. Then you can see if it will work for you.

I hope this is helpful.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That looks cheap and cheerful but one of the two Jacks is for a microphone, not a second set of headphones.

One last gasp thing I would try would be to go into Device Manager in Windows and un-install the soundcard. Then re-boot and if Windows detects it on the way up, it will automatically re-install. Then you can see if it will work for you.

I hope this is helpful.
Great suggestion. And thx about the mic connection. Missed that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis