ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget to document the unboxing!!! ;) We want all the brutal details!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are they there, yet?

Are they there, yet?

Are they there yet?....

;) :D :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Or he's pulling a @Pogre and is camped out on the roof with binoculars, trying to find the delivery truck's GPS on his phone! :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All this anticipation. And then nothing… nothing but the internet equivalent of radio silence.

Nothing but crickets
1600990975930.png

And tumbleweeds
1600991004382.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh I know what's going on. He's tweaking, listening, tweaking, listening... "Oh this sounds great! I'll post an update after this song! Well, after the next song. Maaaybe after this next one..."

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh I know what's going on. He's tweaking, listening, tweaking, listening... "Oh this sounds great! I'll post an update after this song! Well, after the next song. Maaaybe after this next one..."
Or, he got his Salks so he has no need for all of us slumming it any longer.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
LA_Reid_Legacy_Speakers_Best_Investment~2.jpg

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
He's been waiting months for these speakers. He probably took them on a honeymoon! :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I knew you guys would be wondering what happened to me! lol

Roadrunner gave me a delivery window of 10 am to 2 pm, I had asked them to have the driver call me when he got here since our doorbell doesn't work. Well, he called Salk and not me... He eventually came and knocked on the door. They were delivered shortly after 10 am yesterday. I hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee yet.

The speakers came very well packed. Not much in the way of unboxing pics because I got too excited to stop and take pictures...

I started with the center channel first:

It just fits under my tv with 1/4 inch to spare, I'm glad I asked Jim to modify the cabinet for less height(!):

I then moved onto the Song 3's. I never considered my BA's to be small speakers, but they are dwarfed by the Song3's.

Jim did great on the finish, he knew that I wanted something with striations in it as I was considering fiddleback maple veneer but it came out too costly, but the standard curly he used is gorgeous:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So I had them all unpacked and setup around 2 pm. Put Audyssey on bypass and started listening to some music. Love them. Wife was in the bedroom at first, and eventually came out. I handed her the remote and the sweet spot and let her play some of her favorites. She was impressed.

She went out for a walk with her sister at around 3:30, so I busted out the audyssey mic and the app and started playing around. I'm having issues with the app, so there will be a new thread coming for that. It gives me wonky results, saying that the left speaker is at 0 ft and leaving it at 0 db and applying no filters. So for some reason, it's like it isn't hearing it even though the test tones play. I tried a few times to no avail, same issue. Gave up and just ran it through the receiver to get distances and levels set.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Roadrunner gave me a delivery window of 10 am to 2 pm, I had asked them to have the driver call me when he got here since our doorbell doesn't work. Well, he called Salk and not me... He eventually came and knocked on the door. They were delivered shortly after 10 am yesterday. I hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee yet.

The speakers came very well packed. Not much in the way of unboxing pics because I got too excited to stop and take pictures...

It just fits under my tv with 1/4 inch to spare, I'm glad I asked Jim to modify the cabinet for less height(!):

I then moved onto the Song 3's. I never considered my BA's to be small speakers, but they are dwarfed by the Song3's.

Jim did great on the finish, he knew that I wanted something with striations in it as I was considering fiddleback maple veneer but it came out too costly, but the standard curly he used is gorgeous:

Well played "long game" acquisition!
(IIRC, seems like you've been angling for some DM/Salk speaker goodness for a while!)

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Great pics. Hopefully you’ll get them dialed in to your liking. They look stunning. Wish I could hear them. Sit and rock out!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Love the photos. Unpacking all that must have been a lot of work. Were your hands shaking :rolleyes:?

Don't sweat over Audyssey not working like it may have worked for your previous speakers. You wouldn't be the first Salk owner to experience that. I know plenty who just don't bother with Audyssey. When they tried it, it seemed to "suck the life out of their Salk speakers".

First, get used to the Song3's sound without Audyssey. Then see if you can identify any room problems that Audyssey might actually be able to fix, especially under ~250 Hz. But don't let Audyssey mess with Dennis Murphy's mid-range sound quality.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Love the photos. Unpacking all that must have been a lot of work. Were your hands shaking :rolleyes:?

Don't sweat over Audyssey not working like it may have worked for your previous speakers. You wouldn't be the first Salk owner to experience that. I know plenty who just don't bother with Audyssey. When they tried it, it seemed to "suck the life out of their Salk speakers".

First, get used to the Song3's sound without Audyssey. Then see if you can identify any room problems that Audyssey might actually be able to fix, especially under ~250 Hz. But don't let Audyssey mess with Dennis Murphy's mid-range sound quality.
Yeah, that's my plan. If I can't get the app working to limit things to 200-250 Hz and under I'll just leave it off.

Edited to add: I was a little nervous when it came time to put the plinths on! And removing those magnets over the RAAL's had me a bit nervous too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis