Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice! I can tell you take great care of your stuff. I think your plan to replace the bookshelves with something slimmer and getting your front 2 a little closer together might improve things not only visually but sonically too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Somehow I missed it when you announced your order. Congrats!!! I saw it earlier today on Audiocircle.

Do you have a shipping cost estimate? When I ordered ropey cherry veneer for my Veracity STs in 2016, it added to the total cost, but it was less than the shipping. For me, putting it into that context made the decision easy. I've never been sorry with that choice.

Shipping from Pontiac, MI to Chicago, IL will probably be less than my shipping was to Maryland. And your veneer prices seem to be more than mine was. So maybe… or maybe not?
Not sure on shipping costs. I need to measure the wife's car, I may just go pick them up. :D

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice! I can tell you take great care of your stuff. I think your plan to replace the bookshelves with something slimmer and getting your front 2 a little closer together might improve things not only visually but sonically too.
Yeah, the current set is 20 years old. I see people selling them and they look awful, holes all over the socks, banged up corners. I'm like what on earth did you do to them! The only issue with mine is that the caps on top are coming off and a little scratched up. I can fix the popping up issue easy with a little glue and wood clamps depending on what I want to do with them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, the current set is 20 years old. I see people selling them and they look awful, holes all over the socks, banged up corners. I'm like what on earth did you do to them! The only issue with mine is that the caps on top are coming off and a little scratched up. I can fix the popping up issue easy with a little glue and wood clamps depending on what I want to do with them.
I'll bet you can't wait for those Salks! I'd be spending the entire time figuring out how to get the most perfect positioning humanly possible until they arrived.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a couple pics of the system as is. It's a bit messy at the moment, but I'll be re-arranging things next month.

View from the couch:

The whole room:

So, I'm worried if I do the zebrawood, it may clash with the flooring:

I think I really like the patterning there. If Jim could get curly maple with a bit more pattern I'd be happy with the grey.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'll bet you can't wait for those Salks! I'd be spending the entire time figuring out how to get the most perfect positioning humanly possible until they arrived.
The wife will be out of town next month defending her dissertation. I'll be redoing the whole thing then.

Edited to add: yes, I'm super excited to get them!

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The whole room:

So, I'm worried if I do the zebrawood, it may clash with the flooring:

I think I really like the patterning there. If Jim could get curly maple with a bit more pattern I'd be happy with the grey.
Instead of worrying if the zebrawood clashes with the floor, send that photo to Jim Salk and ask his opinion. He can adjust dyes so that never is a problem.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I found the opposite was the case with mine. They are remarkably forgiving when it comes to positioning. With much older speakers, my sweet spot, sitting about 10 feet away, was one sofa cushion wide. With both my SongTowers, and my Veracity STs, that sweet spot widened to nearly the whole sofa's three cushion width. I wasn't prepared for that at first, but it was easy to get used to.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Bummed to hear about the AVR, though, man. :(
Me too, but, I did kinda want a reason to upgrade to one that I could use the Audyssey app on! :p

Wasn't planning on doing it right now though, and I was looking forward to a few more days of music while the wife was gone. Now I'm down two good listening days!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I usually have a couple telecommuting days but now I work from home all week like a lot of companies are doing in Seattle during the virus. So many days to listen to music.. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
OK, I canceled the order for the AVR-x4500 through Amazon since it wouldn't arrive until tomorrow (Wednesday). Went to ABT electronics and picked one up after work. Same base price as Amazon, but got a govt employee discount, so saved a few more bucks to boot. Got it all dialed in now.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
OK, I canceled the order for the AVR-x4500 through Amazon since it wouldn't arrive until tomorrow (Wednesday). Went to ABT electronics and picked one up after work. Same base price as Amazon, but got a govt employee discount, so saved a few more bucks to boot. Got it all dialed in now.
Cruising thru here and saw this thread.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Cruising thru here and saw this thread.
Nothing really new to update. The 4500H is doing the job. I still need to figure out some of the settings that are different from the 4000H. The cabinets for my Song 3 Towers are glued up. That's it! lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The cabinets for my Song 3 Towers are glued up
Oh... the progress tracker. ;) Jim is a sadistic... :p ...and amazing human being! ;)

I think @everettT had it best when I asked him about how his Subs were progressing. After his first round with it, he didn't look while his Subs were in production. (So he said, anyway... :D)

Can't say I blame him. Watching that thing was torturous while my 3s were in production.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis