Next family room TV

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Currently still running old faithful and (almost) reliable Panasonic TC-p55ST30 - As far as I care, for FHD set and price point, practically no other model comes closes for it's quality/value.
Now the issue is that TV was purchased in 2012 (for $1k delivered) for apartment with viewing distance of 8-9ft.
However Last 3 years it's been sitting in living room 13-14 ft away from viewer.

This is not going to be - I need new tv today thing, but a slow gathering of opinions, sharing experiences etc..

Ground rule: We shall not mention LG brand again in this thread. I'm ok with their OLED panels wrapped in SONY or other vendors boxes and electronics, just never these two letters on any products I would ever own.

Size: I figure it needs to be 75" or larger.

Quality: Movie/TV shows and HDR are priority, smart/3d/gaming/motion/sports/pc monitor performance are not important.
Ideally I'd like to prioritise on best contrast and uniform gray.

Current front runners:
1) Sony X940E - XBR75X940E
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x940e
and
2) Vizio P 2017 model - P75-E1
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-xled-2017

Obviously Vizio is not as good PQ wise, but could be found noticeably cheaper:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10290184-vizio-p75-e1-75-2899-at-costco

3) Dark horse: Hisense
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/hisense-h10d-series-tv-review
Current Msrp ($6k) is off the charts, and I think they aimed way too high. given their mid-tier 65" sells for mere 1k. Once dust settles, I'd expect to be priced around $2.5k to $3k to be competitive vs Vizio. I just don't see them taking on big dogs with only one unproven model with brand which is associated with mostly low-end models. Compare it MSRP of X940E only at $4.5k

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That $3,000 jump to the Sony includes an extra 10 inches ... I can't believe we're already here in the first sentence. :D

I would be looking at the used Panny plasmas from AVS. Dang, shouldn't have looked; they have a 65" Panny for $750 in the beantown area. Anyway, my 59" Sammy came from there a few years ago for $600. I'd take a 65" V or Z series Panny over pretty much anything Vizio has but I do recommend Vizio to 'normal' people.

Viewing angle matters to me as it turns out. I use the space in front of the TV to stretch and maybe do a push up ... sometimes, like twice a year. And I end up sort of following a TV show viewed from the pass-through to our kitchen: I eat constantly.

Every so often I look at my room and think about projection but it's way too much work to watch movies that I am increasingly disappointed in. But it would be cool. :)

Edit: I meant in the NYC area on the Panny.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes,Alex size does matter , at least as far as TV size.
65" would be an improvement of course, but I am really targeting 75" or possibly larger

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sony will get my vote hands down. Android TV integration could be better (slow as dirt on my 700d), but other than that their TVs are great for the money.

Having said that, Vizio does have a pretty stellar picture for the money, but I tend to stick with the top tier brands for their warranty support.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony will get my vote hands down. Android TV integration could be better (slow as dirt on my 700d), but other than that their TVs are great for the money.

Having said that, Vizio does have a pretty stellar picture for the money, but I tend to stick with the top tier brands for their warranty support.
Yes, Sony is currently the top runner. Yes, it's more expensive, but I trust the brand more for long term reliability.
Anecdotal evidence, in my mbr I have one the oldest Sony TV. Can't remember the model, but it's fhd 32" LCD set. One of really thick early models. I got it free second hand. So far it has zero issues. I bet it's over 10 years old.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, Sony is currently the top runner. Yes, it's more expensive, but I trust the brand more for long term reliability.
Anecdotal evidence, in my mbr I have one the oldest Sony TV. Can't remember the model, but it's fhd 32" LCD set. One of really thick early models. I got it free second hand. So far it has zero issues. I bet it's over 10 years old.
Yes, Sony is reliable no doubt. Back when that Sony was built they had a price/performance issue that Panasonic killed them on. You could get a 1080p 42" Panny plasma for ~$1000-$1200 (I have one that still works perfectly) and the Sony equivalent 40" LCD was MUCH more and didn't look as good. I'm glad Sony has gotten their price/performance back and now is (to me) a front runner in the TV market.

Samsung makes good hardware, but I just don't like their PQ even after calibration. I'd buy a Vizio over a Samsung in all honesty.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are a Costco member, they seem to have a number of Vizio and Samsung displays (along with a lone TCL) 75" or above for nice prices. If you use the Citi Costco Visa you double the Costco concierge warranty from 2 to 4 years (plus 2% CB):
https://www.costco.com/70-inch-tvs-and-above.html
Yes to both. We have Cosco and Costco visa. I think visa makes total CB to 4% then shopping in Costco.
Also the deal for Vizio P series 75" 2017 model I've posted above (already expired) was a costco deal.
Still a bit pricey at $2900, but I think another 6 months situation may change.

Like I said, this is NOT situation of great urgency.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
They're all crap, really. I bought my parents a Sony 46" DLP a few years ago. About a week or two after the warranty ran out, the top 20% of the screen turned pink.

Bought myself a 75" Samsung a year ago. It was borked on arrival and I had to send it back. Took my 67" Samsung DLP to the dump and felt like such a jerk for putting something that gargantuan into waste.

Decided to go the projector route instead. I couldn't be happier. I now have an 82" display, I have frame interpolation / smooth motion, 3D, and it only cost me around $1500 all in. If my wall were bigger I could've gone bigger without much additional cost. And when this projector dies its true death, I'll be taking an item the size of a shoebox to the dump, rather than something the size of a billboard.

Hop on projectorcentral.com and use their calculator to see what models of projectors fit your throw distance vs. screen size requirements. You can narrow the search by the features you want.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@rojo I value your opinion and experience, but Light control would be my biggest issue. I do plan a big ass basement HT with projector, atmos sound, blow and hookers (ok, no blow and hookers, but probably I could get wife to approve popcorn machine)
This is as stated in title is for family room. It needs to be simple and work in all light conditions.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Might be cheaper just to get a new family. That'd put the blow and hookers back on the table.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Might be cheaper just to get a new family. That'd put the blow and hookers back on the table.
Ha, Getting divorce and child support for two very young kids? No thanks, It would be much cheaper to buy ANY tv.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yes to both. We have Cosco and Costco visa. I think visa makes total CB to 4% then shopping in Costco.
Also the deal for Vizio P series 75" 2017 model I've posted above (already expired) was a costco deal.
Still a bit pricey at $2900, but I think another 6 months situation may change.

Like I said, this is NOT situation of great urgency.
Yes, if you are an executive member the total CB will be 4% :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Currently still running old faithful and (almost) reliable Panasonic TC-p55ST30 - As far as I care, for FHD set and price point, practically no other model comes closes for it's quality/value.
Now the issue is that TV was purchased in 2012 (for $1k delivered) for apartment with viewing distance of 8-9ft.
However Last 3 years it's been sitting in living room 13-14 ft away from viewer.

This is not going to be - I need new tv today thing, but a slow gathering of opinions, sharing experiences etc..

Ground rule: We shall not mention LG brand again in this thread. I'm ok with their OLED panels wrapped in SONY or other vendors boxes and electronics, just never these two letters on any products I would ever own.

Size: I figure it needs to be 75" or larger.

Quality: Movie/TV shows and HDR are priority, smart/3d/gaming/motion/sports/pc monitor performance are not important.
Ideally I'd like to prioritise on best contrast and uniform gray.

Current front runners:
1) Sony X940E - XBR75X940E
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x940e
and
2) Vizio P 2017 model - P75-E1
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-xled-2017

Obviously Vizio is not as good PQ wise, but could be found noticeably cheaper:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10290184-vizio-p75-e1-75-2899-at-costco

3) Dark horse: Hisense
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/hisense-h10d-series-tv-review
Current Msrp ($6k) is off the charts, and I think they aimed way too high. given their mid-tier 65" sells for mere 1k. Once dust settles, I'd expect to be priced around $2.5k to $3k to be competitive vs Vizio. I just don't see them taking on big dogs with only one unproven model with brand which is associated with mostly low-end models. Compare it MSRP of X940E only at $4.5k
If you go from plasma to anything other than OLED you're going to ultimately be disappointed and I don't care if it has 16K resolution.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd go for the Sony OLED screens since you're ruling out the "two letter brand" as you call it.

I honestly don't recommend Vizio to anybody. I really wanted to like them based on everything I'd read about them, but I went through three of their middle tier sets, which all had various issues, before returning it and getting my Samsung.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Qled with full array and local dimming actually not bad in tests.
Generally I agree OLED should provide great pq, the issues are two: oled lifespan ,lack of trust in LG quality and big mark up Sony adds on OLED panels.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd go for the Sony OLED screens since you're ruling out the "two letter brand" as you call it.

I honestly don't recommend Vizio to anybody. I really wanted to like them based on everything I'd read about them, but I went through three of their middle tier sets, which all had various issues, before returning it and getting my Samsung.
It seems everyone agrees Sony is strongest contender. Either qled or OLED panel , that yet to be decided and cost would be big factor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis