Next family room TV

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'll just relate my Vizio issues to you so they are out there:

first set: one of the local dimming areas was noticeably dimmer than the rest. The TV would intermittently stop responding to the remote and I could only get them to communicate again after unplugging the TV for 30 minutes. That set went back pretty quickly.

second set: One corner of the screen was completely shattered when I unboxed it. I thought this was extremely weird considering there was no signs at all of any damage on the exterior box. I chalked it up to dumb luck.

third set: all seemed well for a while, until a few weeks in I started having the same remote issue as the first set.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It seems everyone agrees Sony is strongest contender. Either qled or OLED panel , that yet to be decided and cost would be big factor.
Isn't QLED a Samsung technology? I love my Samsung TV. I'd definitely consider them as well.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Just playing devil's advocate here. Bearing in mind that there are ambient light control issues that would disqualify a projector, would OLED or other outrageous contrast technologies really be beneficial in that room? How dark does dark need to be if sunlight is streaming through a nearby window?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just playing devil's advocate here. Bearing in mind that there are ambient light control issues that would disqualify a projector, would OLED or other outrageous contrast technologies really be beneficial in that room? How dark does dark need to be if sunlight is streaming through a nearby window?
you do have a point, but lots of viewing actually happening in evening with some background light, I don't typically watch tv in fully darked room

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
you do have a point, but lots of viewing actually happening in evening with some background light, I don't typically watch tv in fully darked room
Is this to be a "use it till it dies" TV for the location you plan to use it or are you maybe holding out for the next tech?

That would make my decision a bit different if it were me. Especially since dark room viewing isn't a must. You could potentially go a bit cheaper on the Sony side and have some leftover when you get a "forever" TV.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just picked up a Sony 900e after coming from Panny and Samsung Plasmas. Really impressed with the PQ. Definitely wished I could have gone with the 940e though because the only real knock against the 900e was the brightness and that's something I'm noticing after calibration. That it's a little dim for a bright sunlit room. Other than that, it looks amazing.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this to be a "use it till it dies" TV for the location you plan to use it or are you maybe holding out for the next tech?

That would make my decision a bit different if it were me. Especially since dark room viewing isn't a must. You could potentially go a bit cheaper on the Sony side and have some leftover when you get a "forever" TV.
More of use it till it dies

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
More of use it till it dies
Then I'd go for the best Sony you're comfortable spending the money on. If my 65" last gen Panasonic plasma died then I'd have to save for OLED Sony, but the high end LCD would probably make me pretty happy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Then I'd go for the best Sony you're comfortable spending the money on. If my 65" last gen Panasonic plasma died then I'd have to save for OLED Sony, but the high end LCD would probably make me pretty happy.
Good call. I think it would depends on deal, between x900e and x940e.
On side note:
Still amazing is 2012 mid-range premium brand 1080p 55" TV was $1k and now for about $1k I could get mid range 4k 70" tv from premium brand which has pretty decent review:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x690e

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good call. I think it would depends on deal, between x900e and x940e.
On side note:
Still amazing is 2012 mid-range premium brand 1080p 55" TV was $1k and now for about $1k I could get mid range 4k 70" tv from premium brand which has pretty decent review:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x690e
Agreed. My 65" VT60 still commands a high price. The plasma folks will pay for good quality used.

That 690e would be decent. Probably the same as my 700d, which I love for the money I paid, but I don't think I could use it every day. The 900e or 940e would be awesome.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. My 65" VT60 still commands a high price. The plasma folks will pay for good quality used.

That 690e would be decent. Probably the same as my 700d, which I love for the money I paid, but I don't think I could use it every day. The 900e or 940e would be awesome.
only two things annoy me about x940e are bugs with motion and 24p processing. Both weird since all other similar models, including x900e doesn't have these issues. Other than that x940e is of-course superior PQ to most of led from Sony.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Isn't QLED a Samsung technology? I love my Samsung TV. I'd definitely consider them as well.
The reason that I rejected Samsung when researching my latest TV purchase is that a $2000+ Samsung still lacks local dimming.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You might want to listen to this (avexcel) starting at 14:30 for information on new Samsungs. I'm not sure I'm a believer but if you aren't in a rush the upcoming 2018 Samsungs might be interesting.

https://s128.podbean.com/pb/12a06e9d3c00b5ea9fa44ede4adf76af/5a680d3a/data1/fs138/857629/uploads/AVexcel_068_2018_1_18.mp3

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You might want to listen to this (avexcel) starting at 14:30 for information on new Samsungs. I'm not sure I'm a believer but if you aren't in a rush the upcoming 2018 Samsungs might be interesting.

https://s128.podbean.com/pb/12a06e9d3c00b5ea9fa44ede4adf76af/5a680d3a/data1/fs138/857629/uploads/AVexcel_068_2018_1_18.mp3
Thx thats informative. 2017 Samsung models dropped the ball with lack of local dimming on ALL of their TVs. Seems they going to improved it soon as that that guy says. This MicroLED could next HUGE thing:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsungs-micro-led-bet-will-define-its-future-in-tvs/
Sony seems to haunted by underpowered Android TV "smart", including top-end model. JC, couldn't they just make it dumb panel and throw in shield tv instead. I mean we are talking about $6k+ tvs here.

He also mentioned same HiSense H10e and H9+ tv..

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since I'm not in rush to upgrade now and hopefully the old and faithful plasma survives one more year, waiting for MicroLED maybe the way to go, since it's promises equivalent or better video performance vs OLED and due to non-organic nature of LED, much less burn-in and longer life span.
I call it - Win Win Win (last one is LG won't get a dime from me and I'd be buying best tech on market)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I highly doubt that microLED will be ready for consumer use in a year. They need to optimize it and shrink the LED size even further before they can make it into something affordable in the 55-65" range.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thx thats informative. 2017 Samsung dropped the ball with lack of local dimming on ALL models. Seems they going to improved it soon as that that guy says. This MicroLED could next HUGE thing:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsungs-micro-led-bet-will-define-its-future-in-tvs/
Sony seems to haunted by underpowered Android TV "smart", including top-end model. JC, couldn't they just make it dumb panel and throw in shield tv instead. I mean we are talking about $6k+ tvs here.

He also mentioned same HiSense H10e and H9+ tv..
Stupid that they don't put a better SOC in the top tier Sony TVs. Mine is fine speed wise for how little I use it, but I'd end up hooking a Shield to it if my Sony were my everyday TV. Just too slow.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I highly doubt that microLED will be ready for consumer use in a year. They need to optimize it and shrink the LED size even further before they can make it into something affordable in the 55-65" range.
The podcast mentioned they have already prototypes shown in CES. I think the tech is mostly ready.
The question of affordability, besides markups, is a question of fabrication costs, largely depends on yield percentages. part of reason OLED is expensive is hugely due to how long took LG to get it to reasonably high yield rates.

Besides, like I said - For now, it's not urgent at all. Just getting discussion going. So far between reading reviews and getting your guys opinions here, I know what I'd buy today IF needed, even for several various price points. Actual reviews seem to match nicely with most opinions so I'm good.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Let me know which way you end up going. I have a big itch to go over 80" on my fireplace display but I have trouble even thinking about taking the 65" Panny Plasma down but I need more size.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All 7 TVs in my new house are SONY.

So I definitely vote for SONY. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis