afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
btw: OBD2 scanner doesn't have to be expensive:
you'd need two parts:
a) OBD2/BT dongle like this one:https://www.amazon.com/obdator-Bluetooth-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B074DWH8JR/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=elm327+bluetooth+obd2&qid=1631468144&sr=8-5
b) OBD2 tool for smartphones like this one (ios shown, but plenty of them for android as well)
Thanks BSA will these two work? I don't have an iPhone.
_20210912_142308.JPG
_20210912_143110.JPG

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks BSA will these two work? I don't have an iPhone.
View attachment 50243View attachment 50244
Not top one - that one is useless for you.
try these:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Not top one - that one is useless for you.
try these:
Awesome thanks BSA! OK ordered. I'll try the bluedriver app. I'll probably send it to an autherized aaa dealer tomorrow morning and see what happens. If something else happens at least I'll have the tool. I missed alot days of work so hopefully it can be fixed by Tues or weds.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well the car was towed at 2:30pm. The guy who towed it thinks it's the gas pump after he turned it on. Damn I'm sure costly. :(

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
yep, that was my guess, best of luck Jose !
Well called the mechanic and he said it was the Crank, but waiting to see if that is the issue. Cost will be a bit over $500 if that is the issue. :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"The Crank"? Do you mean the starter? why not try getting a cheaper aftermarket part?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
"The Crank"? Do you mean the starter? why not try getting a cheaper aftermarket part?
If it's the starter then that isn't exactly a costly install. $200 with parts would be more like it since I can't believe it's more than an hour of labor.

If it's the in-tank pump, that'll be a bit more difficult, but still not the end of the world.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
New cars are getting scarce on dealer lots right now due to microchip shortages. Just watched a Jersey dealer on tv say that they usually have around 300 new on the lot but now they have 12 due to the shortage. That would make used car prices soar and a bad time to buy...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If it's the starter then that isn't exactly a costly install. $200 with parts would be more like it since I can't believe it's more than an hour of labor.

If it's the in-tank pump, that'll be a bit more difficult, but still not the end of the world.
A-Hole mechanic said it took 3hrs to locate the problem. $495 + $55 for tow. I knew this was gonna be costly. I also replace the battery, so closer to $700 altogether. Here is the dreaded bill:
IMG_14092021_184839_(2400_x_1098_pixel).jpg

Wadda ya gonna do gotta get back to work to pay bills and pay this crap off. Also scan bluetooth tool will be very useful when I get it this week from Zon. Thanks BSA.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I’m no winner and it wasn’t the starter. All anybody can do is guess when they are not actually working on the car themselves and just going by word of mouth. Get that thing running and you'll be the winner.:)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Freaken car mechanics, I don't mind their hourly charge rates - they have to earn living, but I absolutely hate then they double dip and rip off customers on parts (or not offering cheaper aftermarket parts)

Next time try to diagnose it yourself with help of youtube and car forums. Youtube is filled with car diagnostics how-to videos and you don't need more complex tools than a lightbulb, a most basic multimeter.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A-Hole mechanic said it took 3hrs to locate the problem. $495 + $55 for tow. I knew this was gonna be costly. I also replace the battery, so closer to $700 altogether. Here is the dreaded bill:
View attachment 50287
Wadda ya gonna do gotta get back to work to pay bills and pay this crap off. Also scan bluetooth tool will be very useful when I get it this week from Zon. Thanks BSA.
Sorry bud. $125/hr is on the higher side, but if they got it right then that's that.

As BSA said if you can learn a bit, you can save a LOT. I know more about my truck than most mechanics. Which is annoying.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Freaken car mechanics, I don't mind their hourly charge rates - they have to earn living, but I absolutely hate then they double dip and rip off customers on parts (or not offering cheaper aftermarket parts)
I have multiple friends in the automotive repair field and while your complaint has an ounce of merit if you were in the industry you'd think differently. A lot would expect the cheaper aftermarket parts but would demand the warranty of a better part. A good friend who has been in the auto body biz for decades loves it when insurance companies insist he uses non-factory parts to save a couple bucks only to spend more man hours on making them fit !

A good / fair independent mechanic is a godsend for sure !

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 50287
It's likely a bit on the high side, and I get it people hate spending unexpected $ on things that aren't fun.

But, if it really took him 3 hours to diagnose, he only charged 1 hour on that. I'm sure the cost was accounted for in there somewhere.

At the end of the day, you might have gotten this done for $100 cheaper at a different mechanic, but then you have to ask what your time is worth too. Don't forget that you are paying for his years of knowledge and experience, his overhead and insurance for running a shop, and some profit.

Your options are suck it up and pay it or suck it up and learn to do the work yourself (and your time has it's own cost even if it isn't in $).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have multiple friends in the automotive repair field and while your complaint has an ounce of merit if you were in the industry you'd think differently. A lot would expect the cheaper aftermarket parts but would demand the warranty of a better part. A good friend who has been in the auto body biz for decades loves it when insurance companies insist he uses non-factory parts to save a couple bucks only to spend more man hours on making them fit !

A good / fair independent mechanic is a godsend for sure !
Fair point, what I am saying, Yes, I agree OEM part has probably the best quality (and warranty), customer should be informed of an option of using cheaper 3rd party part. The warranty expectations of the aftermarket part should be discussed with the customer and limited to say 1 month or so?
In my very limited experience, every single aftermarket part I've ever bought (about 4-5 over the years - bulbs, gaskets, wipers, Oxygen sensor, light housing, and a few more) worked and fit perfectly well. Back when I owned only a cheap '99 Toyota car, It came to the point that I'd pay for diagnostics, buy parts myself, and pay for install time. Still saving money.

Not every single car mechanic overcharges on parts, but from my experience many do.

Another point is some cars, let's say complex euro models like BMW or Audi for example - you'd want to use OEM parts, if not new at least refub/used part, but something tells me that using 3rd party parts on 17 years old KIA isn't big deal at all.

In my option this reminds me of using aftermarket laser toners - I've had my share of bad ones, but 95% of the time they work just as well and cost MUCH cheaper.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Don’t get me started on OEM parts and insurance companies. S#%t, now I need strong coffee.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Fair point, what I am saying, Yes, I agree OEM part has probably the best quality (and warranty), customer should be informed of an option of using cheaper 3rd party part. The warranty expectations of the aftermarket part should be discussed with the customer and limited to say 1 month or so?
In my very limited experience, every single aftermarket part I've ever bought (about 4-5 over the years - bulbs, gaskets, wipers, Oxygen sensor, light housing, and a few more) worked and fit perfectly well. Back when I owned only a cheap '99 Toyota car, It came to the point that I'd pay for diagnostics, buy parts myself, and pay for install time. Still saving money.

Not every single car mechanic overcharges on parts, but from my experience many do.

Another point is some cars, let's say complex euro models like BMW or Audi for example - you'd want to use OEM parts, if not new at least refub/used part, but something tells me that using 3rd party parts on 17 years old KIA isn't big deal at all.

In my option this reminds me of using aftermarket laser toners - I've had my share of bad ones, but 95% of the time they work just as well and cost MUCH cheaper.
I recently got my AC compressor replaced by the same shop for the 3rd time. The compressor had a lifetime warranty so I didn't have to pay for a new one.

However, this same shop up-charges their parts specifically because all work and parts come with a 10K mile 1/yr warranty. I've used it with them and it saved me a bunch.

Finding a good/reasonable mechanic is a VERY difficult task. Especially when you don't know all that much about vechicles.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis