Newbie looking for new receiver

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Hello,
My Yamaha RX-V863 just stopped working last week and I'm looking to get a new receiver. I spent close to 1K on this many years ago, but I can't afford to do that now. I'm looking for a new receiver around $400 that will work great with these speakers (http://www.jamo.com/products/s426hcs3) and will hold up for at least a few years and have all the bells and whistles? If that is possible at that price point. I can go up a little more if it's worth it. Should it have Atmos and Vision? Or some other component?

I'm getting a 4K TV this year sometime and I have a PS4, XBOX1 and Firestick that was going through the old receiver.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hello,
My Yamaha RX-V863 just stopped working last week and I'm looking to get a new receiver. I spent close to 1K on this many years ago, but I can't afford to do that now. I'm looking for a new receiver around $400 that will work great with these speakers (http://www.jamo.com/products/s426hcs3) and will hold up for at least a few years and have all the bells and whistles? If that is possible at that price point. I can go up a little more if it's worth it. Should it have Atmos and Vision? Or some other component?

I'm getting a 4K TV this year sometime and I have a PS4, XBOX1 and Firestick that was going through the old receiver.
@jerry89, Check out Accessories4less they have very nice refurbished units they come with a 1 year warranty up to 2 to 3 years on some units. I have personally used Accessories4less I highly recommend them. You can pick up a very nice AVR for 4 bills that has Dolby Atmos and DTS X with pre-amp outs.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I second accessories 4 less. They have some nice Integras on Super sale right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I second accessories 4 less. They have some nice Integras on Super sale right now.

@PHANofPHUNK, I see your definitely an old-timer!. since 2007, awesome man!. The OP hasn't been back on his Thread, also his profile is new as of today. I have been noticing some create a profile just to post links to audio gear to promote.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
@PHANofPHUNK, I see your definitely an old-timer!. since 2007, awesome man!. The OP hasn't been back on his Thread, also his profile is new as of today. I have been noticing some create a profile just to post links to audio gear to promote.
Good, has it been that long?

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
@jerry89, Check out Accessories4less they have very nice refurbished units they come with a 1 year warranty up to 2 to 3 years on some units. I have personally used Accessories4less I highly recommend them. You can pick up a very nice AVR for 4 bills that has Dolby Atmos and DTS X with pre-amp outs.
Thank you TechHDS I will check them out. What does it mean when you said pre-amp outs?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the $800 Denon X2300 on sale for $449 brand new on Amazon.

One of my friends wanted the X3300 for $599, but Frys ran out of stock, so he got the X2300 to power his 7.1 THX Klipsch speakers.

Last edited:
J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Would the X3300 for $499 refurbished at Accessories4Less be a better value or is the X2300 new from Amazon better? I'm not too familiar with Denon do they have good quality products?

If the X2300 says 95W per channel and my speakers are 100W does that mean they won't be as loud as they can be?

Thank you so much for the tip

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Thank you TechHDS I will check them out. What does it mean when you said pre-amp outs?
@jerry8989, Top of the Morning to ya Sir!, Pre-Amp outs are for adding a Amp if needed or if you just want to cause of room application or if you have difficult speakers to drive. Most AVR's mid to upper end are more than capable of driving most speakers especially speakers with high sensitivity rating. That Denon recommended by, ADTG is a nice one and it is new. I suggested Accessories4less cause you had mentioned you wanted to spend around 4 bills maybe a lil more.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
@TechHDS,

For these specs of my speakers which AVR would be the best?
I'm not sure when it says a receiver has 100W per channel but the front speakers say they use 100 / 140 W long and short term. Does that mean the speakers won't be used to their full potential?

Type S 426
System .............................2-way bass-reflex
Woofer [in/mm] .....................2 x 5½ / 140
Tweeter [in/mm] ....................1 / 25
Power long/shortterm [W]..... .... 100 / 140
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] .......... 89
Frequency Range [Hz]............... 48 - 20.000
Cross-over frequency [Hz] ......... 2500
Impedance [Ohm] ....................6
Weight [Kg] ....................... 8,7
Dimension HxWxD [mm] .............. 910 x 180 x 238

Type S 420 CEN
System .............................2-way closed
Woofer [in/mm] .................... 2 x 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm].................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W] ..........80 / 120
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] ...........87
Frequency Range [Hz]................90 - 20.000
Cross-over frequency [Hz] ..........2500
Impedance [Ohm] ................... 6
Weight [Kg] ....................... 1,83
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ...............118 x 340 x 125

Type S 420 SUR
System ............................ 2 way closed
Woofer [in/mm] .................... 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm] ................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W]...........60 / 100
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] ...........86
Cross-over frequency [Hz]...........2500
Weight [Kg] ....................... 1,05
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ...............215 x 118 x 125

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@TechHDS,

For these specs of my speakers which AVR would be the best?
I'm not sure when it says a receiver has 100W per channel but the front speakers say they use 100 / 140 W long and short term. Does that mean the speakers won't be used to their full potential?

Type S 426
System .............................2-way bass-reflex
Woofer [in/mm] .....................2 x 5½ / 140
Tweeter [in/mm] ....................1 / 25
Power long/shortterm [W]..... .... 100 / 140
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] .......... 89
Frequency Range [Hz]............... 48 - 20.000
Cross-over frequency [Hz] ......... 2500
Impedance [Ohm] ....................6
Weight [Kg] ....................... 8,7
Dimension HxWxD [mm] .............. 910 x 180 x 238

Type S 420 CEN
System .............................2-way closed
Woofer [in/mm] .................... 2 x 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm].................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W] ..........80 / 120
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] ...........87
Cross-over frequency [Hz] ..........2500
Weight [Kg] ....................... 1,83
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ...............118 x 340 x 125

Type S 420 SUR
System ............................ 2 way closed
Woofer [in/mm] .................... 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm] ................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W]...........60 / 100
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m] ...........86
Cross-over frequency [Hz]...........2500
Weight [Kg] ....................... 1,05
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ...............215 x 118 x 125
The calculator linked below can provide the information you need.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

My guess is that either unit can do the job but of course the X3300W is a better deal if you can get one brand new for $599.

Regarding power requirement, the key is your room size, how far you sit from the speakers and crossover setting if you have a subwoofer. Also, you speakers can't handle much more than 100/140W anyway, even if you need more (unlikely).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would the X3300 for $499 refurbished at Accessories4Less be a better value or is the X2300 new from Amazon better? I'm not too familiar with Denon do they have good quality products?

If the X2300 says 95W per channel and my speakers are 100W does that mean they won't be as loud as they can be?

Thank you so much for the tip
The X3300 for $599 Brand New is a much better deal than a Refurb for $499. Only $100.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Thank you so much PENG and AcuDefTechGuy. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Now to speak to the boss to see if I can spend more. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One other thought is how did the other avr die? Did you have it in a place with plenty of ventilation and the space around the unit as spec'd? If you do need to put it in a small confined poorly ventilated space for some reason, adding a cooling fan can go a long way. AVRs tend to run warm....and heat kills.

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd , it seems to have a short in it. I turn it on and within a second it automatically turns off. I tried a different surge protector and the same thing happens. It is on a small entertainment center that is well ventilated. I've had it for a long time so I figured it was just it's time. Is it worth trying to get it fixed? Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd , it seems to have a short in it. I turn it on and within a second it automatically turns off. I tried a different surge protector and the same thing happens. It is on a small entertainment center that is well ventilated. I've had it for a long time so I figured it was just it's time. Is it worth trying to get it fixed? Thank you
Hard to know without a tech going thru it and seeing what is wrong. Could be simple, could be a board that's not available. Got a good shop to take it to locally? OTOH it is a ten year old avr, there are some new bells and whistles needed especially if you're going to upgrade to a 4k tv or go Atmos/DTS:X etc....

By on, you mean it sat on top of the center, nothing stacked on top of the avr? That's about as good as you can do, it's when they get stuck in cubby holes/shelves in entertainment centers or have stuff stacked on top that they tend suffer the most....

J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
J

jerry8989

Audioholic Intern
Hi @lovinthehd, I'm not sure if I would ever use the pre-outs. Would I use them if I wanted to add more speakers? Aren't those AVR even more expensive?

What do you like about the X1400 over the S series?

I really appreciate your help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd use pre-outs to add external amplification (i.e. wanted more power than the avr provides) and usually mid level or above in a brand's lineup will you find pre-outs provided these days (once upon a time it was more a standard feature). It's just a nice option to have, depends on speakers and spl needs, tho. The X series is just a higher level than the S series, e.g. Audyssey XT instead of basic MultEQ between those models...the 3300 for $500 with not only pre-outs but Audyssey XT32/SubEQ would be the one I'd personally aim at.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis