Newbie looking for advice

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
I am new to home audio. I noticed a deal for Polk 70 series floorstanding speakers and was looking for a good receiver. I saw this site mentioned so I fiured I would post to see your thoughts.

Below is what I am looking to buy. I don't want to spend a lot. I might go surround sound in the future but not at this time. I plan to just have the 2 floor speakers for now, just to have better sound quality over my tv speakers. My house is small and has wood floors so I figure the sound should bounce around enough. I only watch movies/tv and play video games.

Speakers - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker $150/each (on newegg)
Receiver - DENON AVR-1613 5.1ch Networking Receiver w/AirPlay 3D ready $249.99 (on A4L)

(cannot post links due to being new)

I was worried about the receiver being refurbished since I typically don't buy refurbished electronics. But, people on this site seem to be happy with them.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
looks good to me, I would hurry on them 70b's the cherry is already sold out, and I would grab a matching center for when you want to go to a theater setup, finding a matching center may be tougher down the road...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My house is small and has wood floors so I figure the sound should bounce around enough. I only watch movies/tv and play video games.

Speakers - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker
You want the sound to bounce?

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
No, I was just joking with how the sound bounces around with wood floors and a small house. Figured no need for speakers behind me with that lol

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

This is a great idea, I am going to put mirrors all around my house, than I only need 2 speakers I can bounce the sound all the way to the third floor..

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
I went ahead and ordered two of those floorstanding speakers. Are there ever any deals on the Denon receivers? Or will the A4L site be my best bet? Would I be safe to wait to purchase that? I hate to spend $600 in one night haha.

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
looks good to me, I would hurry on them 70b's the cherry is already sold out, and I would grab a matching center for when you want to go to a theater setup, finding a matching center may be tougher down the road...
In regards to a center, I think the matching center is not on sale at the moment, the cherry one is. From what I read, they alternate when they go on sale. I will wait for that. Only problem I have with a center, is that I fear it may block my tv since my tv is sitting on my entertainment center with the stand it comes with.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In regards to a center, I think the matching center is not on sale at the moment, the cherry one is. From what I read, they alternate when they go on sale. I will wait for that. Only problem I have with a center, is that I fear it may block my tv since my tv is sitting on my entertainment center with the stand it comes with.
You can put the center over the tv too... I seen people buy a set of towers and hold off on a center, then after a while the centers arent available and then you see one finally hit ebay but becuae 20 people are in the same boat it sells for twice what it originally cost...

I have the center to my evo2 line sitting in its box brand new as well as a set of matching bookshelfs, so if I ever want to put it in a different room or sell it, these things help..

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
You can put the center over the tv too... I seen people buy a set of towers and hold off on a center, then after a while the centers arent available and then you see one finally hit ebay but becuae 20 people are in the same boat it sells for twice what it originally cost...

I have the center to my evo2 line sitting in its box brand new as well as a set of matching bookshelfs, so if I ever want to put it in a different room or sell it, these things help..
Yeah, I think I am going to wait for the center to go on sale. I don't have any place to set the center above my tv since there are no wall mounts. I may just try to find a stand for my tv. From what I have searched it looks like I may have to build it myself.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a great idea, I am going to put mirrors all around my house, than I only need 2 speakers I can bounce the sound all the way to the third floor..
You could do that with only one speaker though and much easier to aim the mirrors.;):D:D

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
If at all possible, I prefer that the center be more in-line with the fronts.
I guess that brings me back to making my own stand that the center will fit in. Unless you have any suggestions for that?

V

Valicious

Enthusiast
How do the Polk Monitor60s compare with other floor-standing or bookshelf speakers? They are on sale for $100 on Newegg right now.

KeithL

KeithL

Audioholics Approved Vendor
You don't really NEED a center

Strictly speaking, you don't absolutely need a center at all. With stereo, things that are "in the center" are really just equal in the two speakers (this is sometimes called "the phantom center".) While it's true that a real physical center will do a slightly better job at "pinning the dialog to the center" and such, you can live just fine without one.

Most home theater receivers and pre / pros are smart enough that, if you simply tell them you don't have a center speaker, they will mix the dialog (or whatever else belongs in the center) to the front main speakers and it will still sound like it's in the center where it belongs.

Eventually, when you get a real center, you can mount it horizontally below or above the TV screen. While, ideally, all three front speakers should be a pretty close match, you can also still use a smaller center (just set it to "small" in the bass management on your pre / pro or receiver.

The same is sort of true for the surround speakers but, if you want proper effects around the back, you really need surrounds (given the choice of what to take care of first, I would say that surrounds are more important than a front center for home theater).

KeithL

Yeah, I think I am going to wait for the center to go on sale. I don't have any place to set the center above my tv since there are no wall mounts. I may just try to find a stand for my tv. From what I have searched it looks like I may have to build it myself.

S

StangMan04

Audioholic Intern
Just an update, I went ahead and made my own tv riser to fit my center speaker in. A little bit of a gap above the center but, I was being safe since I made the measurements prior to getting the center delivered.

Any suggestions for the future if I go surround sound, how to run the wires over wood floor? I figure I will run it across the baseboard, but what would be a good way of holding it in place? I prefer not to staple it down if possible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis