newb reciever questions

D

dyler_turden

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>hi, this is my first post!

I needed a reciever to go along with a Technics SL-23 I found at Goodwill but the only thing in my house is my room mates home theatre in a box set up with no phono input. So a friend gave me reciever he had in his attic, a Pioneer SX-828. I don't have the manual but I was able to find some info online. It turns out this is a very nice reciever, it was pioneers top of the line in 1972.

I'm a bit new to this so I've got a lot of questions.

1. There are two switches for low and high filter, what are they for?

2. There is a switch called &quot;loudness&quot;, could turning it on be bad for my speakers or my reciever?

3. There are two phono inputs, one is &quot;mag&quot; and the other is &quot;MM/MC&quot;, what do they mean and which one should i use?

4. Under tape 1 theres a weird shaped round plug called &quot;REC/PB&quot;, what is that for?

5. The two sets of plugs under tape 2 are labelled &quot;mon /4CH out&quot; and &quot;rec /4CH in&quot;, what does that mean

6. What is pre out?

7. What is main in?

8. Why does one of the speaker outputs look kind of like an electrical outlet?

9. There are three AC outlets, one is labelled &quot;switched 120 W max&quot; and theother two are &quot;unswitched total 300 W max&quot;. Whats the difference and should I plug my turn table and CD player into them or not.

10. Whay is there a bunch of wires coming out of the back that go into a black plastic tube?

I think thats all. Thanks.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
dyler_turden :
<font color='#000080'>I'll answer a few:

2. There is a switch called &quot;loudness&quot;, could turning it on be bad for my speakers or my reciever?

** boosts high and low frequency via a wide-band EQ

6. What is pre out?

** this woudl be to take signal &quot;pre&quot; amplifier and send it to an external amplifier - if you had one. Essentially bypasses the units internal amps.

7. What is main in?

** The reverse... takes signal and routes it directly to the main channel amps.

9. There are three AC outlets, one is labelled &quot;switched 120 W max&quot; and theother two are &quot;unswitched total 300 W max&quot;. Whats the difference and should I plug my turn table and CD player into them or not.

** &quot;switched&quot; will turn on a component when the unit is powered up. The &quot;unswitched&quot; will always be on.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis