New SVS Micro 3000 - goes low, but how loud?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Not really. Just think of how many HTIB subs are out there that people are happy with. This would be a massive step up from nearly all those in output and sound quality all the while fulfilling their lifestyle needs.

As for the need for bass I have this https://www.crutchfield.com/S-93OvyJCHosY/p_107DSWP440/Polk-Audio-DSW-PRO-440wi.html?tp=187
in a 2500 cubic foot room just for music and it's more than enough for what I listen to. I also have a PC12+ and DT SC8000 in a 1600 cubic foot room and would like a little more sometimes. So it just depends. I could easily see having this or a pair of them with something like the Kef LS50s for a nice 2 channel setup or for HT in small rooms.

Youtuber SpareChange did a review of a pair of the Kef KC92s and seemed quite impressed with the amount and extension of the bass. IIRC his room is in the 2300 cubic foot range.

They will sell a ton of these.
I agree, they will sell a ton of these. Yeah to most of the nuts on here like me it's like, man I could have a SB2000 pro or for 100 bucks me PB-2000 Pro which is what I have but most people do not think like us damaged people on here. They literally are forbidden to have a huge sub so this is the best alternative. These must be super duper cheap to ship too. It's a win for SVS I think. I'd like to hear what it can do. I'm stick with my PB-2000 Pro but I wouldn't mind hearing this little guy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I have a question, yesterday SVS mentioned they didn't go with a passive radiator type box because they are boomy and are terrible is how I understood it. Is that true? I always thought the PR route was a quality route, perfect mix between port and sealed.

??????
I think it's partly just to distinguish that it has two drivers rather than a driver and a passive radiator. They are likely appealing to the crowd that feels sealed is better for music, and they even market that way still to a extent, too....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 3000 is a lot smaller. Like I said, it's a lifestyle product. I don't think anyone is gonna buy one of these expecting super deep bass. Well, except for the guys who are going to show up here making threads wondering where all their bass is... lol. I am curious about output tho. It does have a pretty beefy amp.
I see frequently guys buying small subs for various reasons (some dumb like smaller is "faster"). Yet Kef and SVS are both somewhat selling the deep end of these, too, seemingly relying on certain small room behavior for the deeper response. Many 2ch folk still just don't know what to do with a sub either. I'd think if I had a small office setup, one of these under the desk could be pretty cool, tho....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think Benni777 isn't 100% accurate. My impression from the live stream was that a passive radiator did not produce the results they wanted for this particular design so they went to dual active speakers. I don't think they were saying that passive radiators are inherently bad. Listen to the stream before you judge. ;)

It's still pretty impressive that they got down to 23Hz in that size cabinet, and they said that it will reach deeper with DSP. I think they help achieve that by throwing a lot of power at it with the 3000 series amp. I missed the give-away ;_; but the last prize was a pair of Ultra bookshelves, the Micro 3000 and all the cabling you would need. I think for a den or small office this would make an awesome system. I don't think they were pushing it to be a home theatre replacement for bigger subs but even for home theatre if you have a small room and need a small sub, this looks pretty good on paper at $799 US.
Either they were going for a dual opposed design or they weren't, tho....and a single passive radiator of same size isn't usually the way to go either....

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I think Benni777 isn't 100% accurate. My impression from the live stream was that a passive radiator did not produce the results they wanted for this particular design so they went to dual active speakers. I don't think they were saying that passive radiators are inherently bad. Listen to the stream before you judge. ;)

It's still pretty impressive that they got down to 23Hz in that size cabinet, and they said that it will reach deeper with DSP. I think they help achieve that by throwing a lot of power at it with the 3000 series amp. I missed the give-away ;_; but the last prize was a pair of Ultra bookshelves, the Micro 3000 and all the cabling you would need. I think for a den or small office this would make an awesome system. I don't think they were pushing it to be a home theatre replacement for bigger subs but even for home theatre if you have a small room and need a small sub, this looks pretty good on paper at $799 US.
I did listen to the whole stream. I watched it live. I stated that I understood it as if they were saying subwoofers with PR were boomy. They even clowned a unnamed brand saying it would walk across the room. You should listen to the stream again.

Anywho, I was only asking a question on passover radiators as I am looking into building a set of subwoofers with PRs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did listen to the whole stream. I watched it live. I stated that I understood it as if they were saying subwoofers with PR were boomy. They even clowned a unnamed brand saying it would walk across the room. You should listen to the stream again.

Anywho, I was only asking a question on passover radiators as I am looking into building a set of subwoofers with PRs.
Then again many subs can walk across a room in the right circumstances, but not the dual opposed models, they really do help make for an inert sub (altho at 22 lbs does seem rather lightweight too). Passover radiators, tho? :)

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Don’t get me wrong I too think they will sell a lot and it’s not a bad solution for some applications.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Then again many subs can walk across a room in the right circumstances, but not the dual opposed models, they really do help make for an inert sub (altho at 22 lbs does seem rather lightweight too). Passover radiators, tho? :)
LOL, just noticed that. Meant PASSIVE radiator. Dang auto-correct on my phone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not really. Just think of how many HTIB subs are out there that people are happy with. This would be a massive step up from nearly all those in output and sound quality all the while fulfilling their lifestyle needs.

As for the need for bass I have this https://www.crutchfield.com/S-93OvyJCHosY/p_107DSWP440/Polk-Audio-DSW-PRO-440wi.html?tp=187
in a 2500 cubic foot room just for music and it's more than enough for what I listen to. I also have a PC12+ and DT SC8000 in a 1600 cubic foot room and would like a little more sometimes. So it just depends. I could easily see having this or a pair of them with something like the Kef LS50s for a nice 2 channel setup or for HT in small rooms.

Youtuber SpareChange did a review of a pair of the Kef KC92s and seemed quite impressed with the amount and extension of the bass. IIRC his room is in the 2300 cubic foot range.

They will sell a ton of these.
I have no doubt they will sell a ton of these, and you’re right. Compared to many of the HTIB subs these are going to be a great upgrade. But I feel like they’re gonna return a bunch too. Customers be feeling like they can take their Prius out to Nurburgring and be competitive. I mean there are rooms where it will work great. But as the base for a serious HT with any kind of cubic volume, or in a huge Modern living room with concrete floors and high ceilings, this thing will be a joke. Now, most people that know anything wouldn’t recommend one for that kind of space, but how many people buy stuff without a clue, and then come here(or the other place lol) and ask why their stuff isn’t blowing them away? Imo, it’s probably as niche as going the other direction with a big 18 incher. Except that most people care about looks more than performance...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Don’t get me wrong I too think they will sell a lot and it’s not a bad solution for some applications.
This is my thought too. I personally DGAF about this little thing for myself, save for possibly my bedroom HT, but can see recommendations for certain places. My problem is even the lowly sb1000 measured better extension and will possibly have more output, but I haven’t seen all these numbers yet.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a SVS SoundPath feet for each of my SVS SB-3000 so that it would not glide so easily on my hardwood floor when accidentally pushing it compared to the standard feet, and they made it much easier to get my hands under the subwoofer to move it. Possibly it reduced some vibration, but I've no idea if that is the case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a SVS SoundPath feet for each of my SVS SB-3000 so that it would not glide so easily on my hardwood floor when accidentally pushing it compared to the standard feet, and they made it much easier to get my hands under the subwoofer to move it. Possibly it reduced some vibration, but I've no idea if that is the case.
Standard rubber cabinet feet would do the same for less $....as to reducing vibration from the box itself, meh.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Standard rubber cabinet feet would do the same for less $....as to reducing vibration from the box itself, meh.
The feet look nice, and they are also round and nice to the touch :D They are also fairly soft (you can see the subwoofer moving back and forth when gently kicked like when someone is vacum cleaning in a hurry) and the subwoofer stays in place.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Size matters!! Enough of this skirting the issue using small cute sensitive subs.

Seriously though, these smaller subs could work in smaller room where loud output isnt required but I would still shy a way from something called micro in a subwoofer if spousal AF was not an issue.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Size matters!! Enough of this skirting the issue using small cute sensitive subs.

Seriously though, these smaller subs could work in smaller room where loud output isnt required but I would still shy a way from something called micro in a subwoofer if spousal AF was not an issue.
I like this idea, SVS is very smart and will sell lots of them. They are very cheap to ship that's for sure at 22 pounds.
What I would like to know is the size difference between the SB-2000 pro or SB-3000. I mean if course to most of us on here the SB-2000 Pro is what we would want it recommend over this.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis