New SVS Micro 3000 - goes low, but how loud?

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
What I read about the recent KEF micro sub was that it could go low, as it claimed, but not loudly. Watching the SVS show live now on YouTube and checked their site, and that's a flat, low frequency response plot. But under 100 db... Wondering how loud it can go and if that curve can stay flat. And wondering if I can find a way to easily measure how loud I usually listen in bass frequencies at home...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just got the email....but don't see the flat frequency response in their graph, it seems to be relying on in-room performance for 23hz spec?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny, I don't see this in your post itself but when I quote it....the response curve! :)

ps but see the same red x once I post it, but see the curve even in edit mode....weird.
That is weird! I see the same thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then I guess it's not me particularly at least...

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Almost looks like the RSL has it beat for half the price. The RSL is ported so I’m assuming it isn’t quite as small but just on paper SVS may have missed the mark on this one. Definitely need independent measurements, speaking of which how would you get anechoic measurements on a bipolar subwoofer?

SVS 10.9” H 11.7” W 10.7” D

RSLH: 16” W: 15” D: 16 3/4”

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t think it really goes very low. From what I just saw, the sb1000 pro is 10db louder by 20hz. Imo this thing is a desktop sub at best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much what I was thinking, in room is the only way
Not what I saw as a conclusion, altho they did an in room test in addition to the outdoor ground plane measurements he usually does, and he then created a compensation file based on the 10m ground plane outdoor measurement.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Almost looks like the RSL has it beat for half the price. The RSL is ported so I’m assuming it isn’t quite as small but just on paper SVS may have missed the mark on this one. Definitely need independent measurements, speaking of which how would you get anechoic measurements on a bipolar subwoofer?

SVS 10.9” H 11.7” W 10.7” D

RSLH: 16” W: 15” D: 16 3/4”
The 3000 is a lot smaller. Like I said, it's a lifestyle product. I don't think anyone is gonna buy one of these expecting super deep bass. Well, except for the guys who are going to show up here making threads wondering where all their bass is... lol. I am curious about output tho. It does have a pretty beefy amp.

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
The SVS and RSL aren't the same size at all. 1365 cubic inches vs. 4020 cubic inches. 3x the volume, and much harder to hide, etc. And if you're willing to go a 16" cube, why not just go an 18" cube (5800 in^3) and get the Hsu ULS-15 MK2. Also $799... I think these have different target users. You're paying for decreasing inches, not increasing db.

I'm just wondering how good the tiny ones can do in a small room - how loud they can get. Figure these might be great for people living in small apartments in big cities. I'm sure I'll get to hear one someday. Looking forward to seeing the results of real tests.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
So I have a question, yesterday SVS mentioned they didn't go with a passive radiator type box because they are boomy and are terrible is how I understood it. Is that true? I always thought the PR route was a quality route, perfect mix between port and sealed.

??????

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Marketing foolishness. Almost expected them to say ported subs are inaccurate and flabby, too, just to sell this new product.

So I have a question, yesterday SVS mentioned they didn't go with a passive radiator type box because they are boomy and are terrible is how I understood it. Is that true? I always thought the PR route was a quality route, perfect mix between port and sealed.

??????

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Marketing foolishness. Almost expected them to say ported subs are inaccurate and flabby, too, just to sell this new product.
Gotcha, I was wonder since I was planning on building dual PR + sub enclosure. Had me looking deep into it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It may be marketing foolishness, but the graph in Pogre's post shows 'quasi-anechoic', so it's not something that could be used if technical accuracy is required in order to make a decision.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Fair enough. I'm just saying the notion that SVS is proposing, that a passive radiator is inherently bad, is disingenuous at best.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Fair enough. I'm just saying the notion that SVS is proposing, that a passive radiator is inherently bad, is disingenuous at best.
I think Benni777 isn't 100% accurate. My impression from the live stream was that a passive radiator did not produce the results they wanted for this particular design so they went to dual active speakers. I don't think they were saying that passive radiators are inherently bad. Listen to the stream before you judge. ;)

It's still pretty impressive that they got down to 23Hz in that size cabinet, and they said that it will reach deeper with DSP. I think they help achieve that by throwing a lot of power at it with the 3000 series amp. I missed the give-away ;_; but the last prize was a pair of Ultra bookshelves, the Micro 3000 and all the cabling you would need. I think for a den or small office this would make an awesome system. I don't think they were pushing it to be a home theatre replacement for bigger subs but even for home theatre if you have a small room and need a small sub, this looks pretty good on paper at $799 US.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I don’t think it really goes very low. From what I just saw, the sb1000 pro is 10db louder by 20hz. Imo this thing is a desktop sub at best.
Not really. Just think of how many HTIB subs are out there that people are happy with. This would be a massive step up from nearly all those in output and sound quality all the while fulfilling their lifestyle needs.

As for the need for bass I have this https://www.crutchfield.com/S-93OvyJCHosY/p_107DSWP440/Polk-Audio-DSW-PRO-440wi.html?tp=187
in a 2500 cubic foot room just for music and it's more than enough for what I listen to. I also have a PC12+ and DT SC8000 in a 1600 cubic foot room and would like a little more sometimes. So it just depends. I could easily see having this or a pair of them with something like the Kef LS50s for a nice 2 channel setup or for HT in small rooms.

Youtuber SpareChange did a review of a pair of the Kef KC92s and seemed quite impressed with the amount and extension of the bass. IIRC his room is in the 2300 cubic foot range.

They will sell a ton of these.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis