New SVS 3000 Series Subs!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you, Danzilla. Don't hold your breath too long for that review, because I can only test in moderate weather, and this area is entering a cold winter. I won't be able to test until maybe mid to late March at the earliest, so any review would have to wait till then, sadly. However, I do think that we will be reviewing these products, but it will just take awhile.
It's not like I'm in a rush too buy anyway. I have no worries on waiting

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I stand corrected!
I'll just really be interested when the article does come out what they've done to increase performance but really lower the weight. Also this is there first 2 port mode Ive seen so it will be an interesting article

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Dude your psychic bro where do they keep pulling these PB12-NSD out from! Smart idea too thats a crazy good deal for a sub that has those specs good move right before the holidays SVS is coming out swinging I see!
Dan, SVS has offered theses two subs for Black Friday the last (2)-years at the very same prices. That is why I figured they would again. BTW, at one time I owned (4) of the SB12-NSD's and really liked them. I also owned both the PB10 and the PB12 many moons ago. They are a great company and Ed Mullen is the man! No kidding! :)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It is becoming really annoying how prices are not even closely matched over the pond. Paying extra almost 600$ in this day and age when you can check prices in seconds... I don't know how they expect to keep this going. I was thinking, finally SVS made a sub for my budget, but now it is almost 60% over my budget. So now I'm not buying. Is this really good for business?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It is becoming really annoying how prices are not even closely matched over the pond. Paying extra almost 600$ in this day and age when you can check prices in seconds... I don't know how they expect to keep this going. I was thinking, finally SVS made a sub for my budget, but now it is almost 60% over my budget. So now I'm not buying. Is this really good for business?
Damn where are you at? They charge you an extra $600 to purchase them where you live? That friggin sucks man. You'd think they'd setup a distribution center over there so they'd be able to keep the prices down or closer to other areas

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How much of that extra cost is attributable to SVS? Wouldn't that cost incorporate VAT and customs duties fees?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Damn where are you at? They charge you an extra $600 to purchase them where you live? That friggin sucks man. You'd think they'd setup a distribution center over there so they'd be able to keep the prices down or closer to other areas
Well thank you for a friendly face and a shoulder to cry.:D:D I know some forums would kick me for even saying that I'm not buying them. I'm in Croatia. We're part of the EU, but in svs.de (Germany) they cost what I said and that's the ash model. When I first read about the 3000 series, I was really thinking "here it comes". My first choice was always the SB Ultra 13, but that was way too expensive and I wanted to get a returned one from the outlet after a while. Now they are all but gone. Boy did I have an eye for this one.

As far as buying in my country goes, it's even worse. You have several shops that "can get it" if you want it, but then don't ask for the price. For comparison reasons; LS50 hit the market in 2013, even today, in 2019 in Croatia they cost more than when they came out and more than anywhere else.

Our standard is below average, but there’s this funny logic to market where low standard countries pay more than good standard ones. It has been like this for years and years. It’s not the taxes as ours are still lower than the Scandinavian taxes.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
How much of that extra cost is attributable to SVS? Wouldn't that cost incorporate VAT and customs duties fees?
I can't know these things, all I can say is that this is the official SVS Deutschland price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve heard it commented several times that subwoofers are much more an American fad. The demographics probably just don’t support SVS or other such ID company doing that very well. It seems that going for European production+distribution would be key, but then you have to also contend with EU regulations....
My under-experienced guess would be that shipping and import fees for 150 lb boxes of luxury audio gear are pretty steep.
Likewise, we’ve seen friends from Australia and NZ post the same. Hell, I wonder if SVS ships free to Hawaii?
I lamented the other day how SVS’ pricing is affected by the generosity of their shipping and return policy... can you imagine Danzilla how much your 4000s might’ve cost if they included shipping to Austria or Australia?:eek:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve heard it commented several times that subwoofers are much more an American fad. The demographics probably just don’t support SVS or other such ID company doing that very well. It seems that going for European production+distribution would be key, but then you have to also contend with EU regulations....
My under-experienced guess would be that shipping and import fees for 150 lb boxes of luxury audio gear are pretty steep.
Likewise, we’ve seen friends from Australia and NZ post the same. Hell, I wonder if SVS ships free to Hawaii?
I lamented the other day how SVS’ pricing is affected by the generosity of their shipping and return policy... can you imagine Danzilla how much your 4000s might’ve cost if they included shipping to Austria or Australia?:eek:
Inbuilt amps must be European voltage. I don't know whether these subs are made and then shipped whole. As far as uneducated guesses go, I’m a heavy weight champ:); maybe it’s the EU manufacturers protecting themselves. I can only blame myself for taking advice from a US based forum.:D

But... I didn’t find an EU forum I can trust. Even one of the most respectable magazines, like WhatHiFi “explains” how cryo-copper aligns the molecular structure for superb conductivity. This is why when they say buy this sub, I go “hmmmmm... not sure that I will...”

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can't know these things, all I can say is that this is the official SVS Deutschland price.
What about subs from XTZ or B&K? They look like pretty solid subwoofers that should be available in the EU without as much import fees. The XTZ 3X12 is, in many ways, a more powerful sub than even the SVS PB16-Ultra. And it has been modified recently to achieve THX certification so now its an even lower distortion subwoofer.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the advice and recomms. Why do you think this:

should be available in the EU without as much import fees
Anyway, I'm looking for a SB sub and I need the "as bigg as possible sound, from as small as possible box". This is to compliment my LS50, but for music listening. In many ways the 3000 would be the one. And there's even the visual matching factor. Both small cube-like, softened edges in piano black. It would almost match better than a KEF sub.

I had another recomm for B&K from another member here. But I know nothing about them. For SVS at least I had all the reviews here. I'm not a very trusting person.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What about subs from XTZ or B&K? They look like pretty solid subwoofers that should be available in the EU without as much import fees. The XTZ 3X12 is, in many ways, a more powerful sub than even the SVS PB16-Ultra. And it has been modified recently to achieve THX certification so now its an even lower distortion subwoofer.
Sure hit the nail on that one Shady I so so wanted to hit the XTZ 3X12 soooo bad but it was hard to get at the time for some reason when I was on the market shopping!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the advice and recomms. Why do you think this:

Anyway, I'm looking for a SB sub and I need the "as bigg as possible sound, from as small as possible box". This is to compliment my LS50, but for music listening. In many ways the 3000 would be the one. And there's even the visual matching factor. Both small cube-like, softened edges in piano black. It would almost match better than a KEF sub.

I had another recomm for B&K from another member here. But I know nothing about them. For SVS at least I had all the reviews here. I'm not a very trusting person.
Man I feel you on trusting people that is actually a healthy instinct to have in our hobby but I can tell you with confidence that active members like shady, lovin, ryanosaur, peng and quiet a few others have never steered me wrong period when I need solid honest reliable advice.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Music only - Depending on how important size is to you, I am tempted to argue that you don't really need a subwoofer, you just need a woofer to complement your LS50's so they can play full-range!

I have a pair of these 8" subs which I use for music only and I feel they cover the bass very well. I guess if you listen to music with unusually deep bass content, there would be some bits missing, but I am happy!
These are pretty impressive designs and I would suggest you consider a 10" sealed sub instead as you would save money for the same level of performance.
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/photon-8-subwoofer

I don't know, you are smart and probably have given this plenty of thought, but I would think between mainstream audio manufacturers like Focal, Cabasse, Canton, KEF, Def Tech, Boston Acoustics, etc you could find something that was not hit by excessive duty or whatever is driving up the cost while still giving you good bass. It just seems you are paying a fair amount of money for the ability to reproduce the sound of an earthquake in your room that not much music would ever have any use for.

I know you would not buy from them, but Accessories4Less is a window of sorts into some European speaker options we don't see over here, but I suspect you would also be able to get JBL, Yamaha, etc at better prices?.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spksubwoofer/speakers/powered-subwoofers/1.html?

Also, consider Klipsch. Surprisingly their R-115SW is a competent design that is pretty competitive with ID for price and performance. I might suggest the R-112SW or a R-110SW as a way to get the size down. They ar ported, but still pretty compact.

https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-r-115sw-subwoofer-reviewed/

Here is a review of the 10" R-110sw note the comment about crossing over at 100Hz or lower to prevent problems from crossing this sub over at higher frequencies.
IIRC PENG crosses his LS50's at 100Hz.

https://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/home-entertainment/best-home-subwoofers/klipsch-review/

Edit: Klipsch makes a sub with a similar model number. I think it is simply R-15SW, R-12SW, etc. Avoid this sub. It is what you would more likely expect when thinking of Klipsch subs of the past.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You really took sometime to write this and include all the links. Thank you for that.

My first choice was always going to be a Yamaha and even that will be second hand. I can get a really good and strong model for 100$. There's a guy in my town who is simply in love with Yamaha. Believe me, nothing rational about that. His flat looks like a small museum of Yamaha with some outstanding historic models. The mint level is just crazy :D. He sells some of his stuff and buys new Yamaha, he just loves it. For 50$ I bought such a damn good DVD/CD player; gold plated connections, a bunch of outputs, works like Swiss clock... And I would dare anyone to try and find traces of use on that player. And it was something like 650$ model when it was new. He actually collects them, that's it. He has shelves and shelves of Yamaha audio units that he doesn't use.

He has two SW models on sale. Both pristine and very cheap. I'm considering these because of my Yamaha AVR, for compatibility. Also, sub-out on my AVR is set to 90Hz and the safest bet is that same make will match the easiest. It is possible some other brands would require a higher XO. All this I'm going to use for testing whether I even need the sub or enjoy one much. If I find it pleasing, I will sell the lot and go for (hold the lynch mob:D) an USB DAC stereo integrated amp + mains & sub + TT.

This is simply what I'm about (short of lava-lamp:D).
1549792203413.png

It's not my set. That's close to what I'm going for. Notice no TV. I just want to learn and find a way how to make this type of setting sound much better.

I spoke with PENG whenever I got the chance, he's been a source for me as he uses SVS+LS50 combo, but he has Ultra 13. I was curious of his XO settings as I intend to ask less lows from my mains when sub arrives, I won't play them in a full range setting. I'm planing on driving the SW in the upper limits of its (comfortable) performance.

The thing is, only my speakers are here to stay. I'm changing everything else. I want my next stop to be something that will also be with me forever as I'm a "set&forget" kind of a guy; buy what you like, set in your room, set a good sound and stop dwelling over it. This final set will have a lot of pride of ownership factor (at least what I consider pride worthy) and the SVS 3000 was going to be that one.

Maybe if some discount comes my way.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis