E

elitex

Enthusiast
Klipsch RF7 III front, Denon AVR X8500H receiver. Arcam AVR750 in the picture below but has since been moved to the basement with my B&W CM10's. Dual SVS subs. PB16 Ultra on left and SB16 Ultra on right.

Probably purchasing a 3 channel amp for front stage next.

Coming up- Full atmos setup, 120'' retractable projector screen and TBD Projector.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks really nice. Curious, why did you use an SB16 with a PB16?

E

elitex

Enthusiast
Looks really nice. Curious, why did you use an SB16 with a PB16?
I have always preferred the sound of a sealed Subwoofer vs ported but also appreciate the slam of a ported sub. So I went with both. It works, it actually works really well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have always preferred the sound of a sealed Subwoofer vs ported but also appreciate the slam of a ported sub. So I went with both. It works, it actually works really well.
I’d be curious to measure the FR, as my hunch is there’s a lot of phase issues between the port tune and the roll off of the SB.
However, if it works for you, it works. I do like the nude shots of the copper though. Do you always keep the covers off?

E

elitex

Enthusiast
I’d be curious to measure the FR, as my hunch is there’s a lot of phase issues between the port tune and the roll off of the SB.
However, if it works for you, it works. I do like the nude shots of the copper though. Do you always keep the covers off?
Hmm good point. Let me see if I can get some measurements. My kids are growing (youngest is 3) so I can start keeping the covers off. I am going to pull the covers off of the subs also. Makes the room look very mechanical. I like it. The funny thing is that my wife told me to keep the covers off.

I think I've fully sold my wife into this whole thing. We have Martin Logan Theos in the main living room and now she wants to upgrade to the Expressions.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice space! Maybe your wife should talk to mine lol. I have 7.3.4 in the LR but my wife does NOT enjoy the looks. I. D. C.

E

elitex

Enthusiast
Lol. Took few years for her to come around. She hated speakers in general and just never understood them. Now she tells me how she can't stand distortion or crappy sounding systems in general.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely can take some time. I’ve been working on mine for about 20 years. She thinks since our other systems use bookshelf speakers I can do that in the LR. Negative ghost rider...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If my subs get kicked out of the LR, they will migrate to my den setup for even more bass in that room. LOL :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A well designed ported sub, which the PB16 is, will sound just as good as a sealed sub. You probably have some phase issues going on there, mixing ported and sealed like that. Great taste in subwoofage tho!
I'm with Bill on the exposed drivers. I like the look and not many wives agree.

E

elitex

Enthusiast
More than likely I will buy another PB16 and move the SB16 to main living room and move my SB13 from living room to basement.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... and the roll off of the SB.
With an SB16 Ultra tucked tight in the corner like that, I'm not sure there is any roll-off!
I suspect, if he is using RoomEQ, it is dialing back both subs very heavily!
Don't forget that the SB16 Ultra is one of only 6 (of 48 tested as of 7/21/19) subs that AH has tested which passed the CEA 2010 test for output at 10Hz!
Others are:
Funk Audio 18.0 ($3234)
Outlaw Audio X-13 Ultra ($1499)
Paradigm Signature SUB 2 ($10500)
SVS SB13 Ultra ($1599)
Velodyne DD18+ ($4999)

Interesting that the ported X-13 (in the sealed configuration, of course) manages this, but no other ported sub (including several that are 15" or larger) does! I wonder what aspect of the X-13 design affords this!

But back to my point, corner loading a sub like the SB16 adds significant dB to the bass such that roll-off is minimal.
Actually I am surprised that the PB16 Ultra in the corner does not overwhelm the room with bass!

@elitex , what setting do you use for the PB16 Ultra and what other EQ/setup might you apply to those monsters (the PB16 and SB16)?

E

elitex

Enthusiast
Audyssey puts the calibration at -20 DB on subs and -5.0 dB on the receiver.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
With an SB16 Ultra tucked tight in the corner like that, I'm not sure there is any roll-off!
I suspect, if he is using RoomEQ, it is dialing back both subs very heavily!
Don't forget that the SB16 Ultra is one of only 6 (of 48 tested as of 7/21/19) subs that AH has tested which passed the CEA 2010 test for output at 10Hz!
Others are:
Funk Audio 18.0 ($3234)
Outlaw Audio X-13 Ultra ($1499)
Paradigm Signature SUB 2 ($10500)
SVS SB13 Ultra ($1599)
Velodyne DD18+ ($4999)

Interesting that the ported X-13 (in the sealed configuration, of course) manages this, but no other ported sub (including several that are 15" or larger) does! I wonder what aspect of the X-13 design affords this!

But back to my point, corner loading a sub like the SB16 adds significant dB to the bass such that roll-off is minimal.
Actually I am surprised that the PB16 Ultra in the corner does not overwhelm the room with bass!

@elitex , what setting do you use for the PB16 Ultra and what other EQ/setup might you apply to those monsters (the PB16 and SB16)?
While I’m sure the pb has plenty of capability to overwhelm the room, I’m sure Audyssey does a fine job of keeping it smooth. I also agree that being tucked in the corner will only bolster the Sb all the way down to its useful range. My point though, was that due to differing slopes, and ranges where they start to roll off, he could have some nasty nulls. Even mixing a pb2000, with a pb12nsd(which was replaced with the pb2k) isn’t recommended, per Ed for the same reason. If you take into account the different roll offs, and how they act in the room it would likely be a total mess. Not necessarily impossible to deal with, but definitely much harder.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Audyssey puts the calibration at -20 DB on subs and -5.0 dB on the receiver.
Wow! I didn't even know Audyssey would adjust by 20dB - I guess as long as it is turning it down there is not much reason to limit! Turning it up that much is apt to destroy something!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
While I’m sure the pb has plenty of capability to overwhelm the room, I’m sure Audyssey does a fine job of keeping it smooth. I also agree that being tucked in the corner will only bolster the Sb all the way down to its useful range. My point though, was that due to differing slopes, and ranges where they start to roll off, he could have some nasty nulls. Even mixing a pb2000, with a pb12nsd(which was replaced with the pb2k) isn’t recommended, per Ed for the same reason. If you take into account the different roll offs, and how they act in the room it would likely be a total mess. Not necessarily impossible to deal with, but definitely much harder.
Fair point, I was mainly thinking there essentially is not a roll-off, but assuming roughly equal room gain for both subs, there would still be a substantial gap between their outputs!

@elitex , this is a good point. I'm not sure what is the low end of Audyssey's adjustment capability, but while you are using them together, you would probably be best off either using the setting on the SB16 that best mimics a ported sub or the setting on the PB16 that best mimics a sealed sub!

E

elitex

Enthusiast
Just ran some correction through Audyssey app. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

elitex

Enthusiast
Just for reference this room is just under 22 X 17 Ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis