New router recommendations

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
For a clients with decent antenna's 80 foot with usable throughput and latency.
Any idea why I see a large number of SSIDs when I drive past retail locations? I can be across the street and the signal strength is full blast. Obviously, I can't test the speed if it's a secure network, but still, the distance is exceptional.

I need to remind people frequently that just because the signal strength shown is high, speed and throughput won't necessarily be as good and I'm tired of trying to get people to give up their death grip on Apple AirPort crap when their rationale is "It still works".

jinjuku

jinjuku

Any idea why I see a large number of SSIDs when I drive past retail locations? I can be across the street and the signal strength is full blast. Obviously, I can't test the speed if it's a secure network, but still, the distance is exceptional.

I need to remind people frequently that just because the signal strength shown is high, speed and throughput won't necessarily be as good and I'm tired of trying to get people to give up their death grip on Apple AirPort crap when their rationale is "It still works".
Because AP's generally have good built in antenna's and other models take external high gain, both omni and directional.

They can also Tx at higher power than phones. I could put a single AP in the middle of a baseball field and have most people in the stands see the signal but that would be about it.

highfigh

highfigh

Because AP's generally have good built in antenna's and other models take external high gain, both omni and directional.

They can also Tx at higher power than phones. I could put a single AP in the middle of a baseball field and have most people in the stands see the signal but that would be about it.
Makes me wonder where they placed the router/AP since I'm usually in an intersection when I see the SSIDs and I'm not sure that putting them in the outside corner would do much for the rest of the building.

I don't see APs on the exterior of these buildings, either.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Makes me wonder where they placed the router/AP since I'm usually in an intersection when I see the SSIDs and I'm not sure that putting them in the outside corner would do much for the rest of the building.

Sounds like what my phone looks like when I'm in certain parts of town. I have a signal, but data doesn't work. Being able to see a network is only part of it.

I cranked up my APs to see how that would affect performance and it didn't go well. Sure, signal was strong, but no data depending on where you were. They work much better on medium or low depending on the band.

highfigh

highfigh

Sounds like what my phone looks like when I'm in certain parts of town. I have a signal, but data doesn't work. Being able to see a network is only part of it.

I cranked up my APs to see how that would affect performance and it didn't go well. Sure, signal was strong, but no data depending on where you were. They work much better on medium or low depending on the band.
Narrowing the bandwidth can help, too- I checked the TP Link settings and it was already at the highest TX output.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Part of the wifi design is BI-directional. You could boost your AP power, but without the same power levels on the client-side, that boost is pointless. Let's say you're doing directional point to point with directional APs on both ends, then you could boost both sides' power to extend the range.
The bottom line, if you don't get sufficient coverage with one AP, you need to add more of them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Part of the wifi design is BI-directional. You could boost your AP power, but without the same power levels on the client-side, that boost is pointless. Let's say you're doing directional point to point with directional APs on both ends, then you could boost both sides' power to extend the range.
The bottom line, if you don't get sufficient coverage with one AP, you need to add more of them.
Exactly. That's why I have two now.

My only issue is devices are acting up transitioning from AP to AP. If I could fix that, I'd be golden.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Typically speaking in high density designs we use a single AP to cover 1500 Sq foot. In medium density it can be every 5000sq foot.

For HD layout that is an AP every 44 feet with clear line of site and around 15dBi Tx power. The reason is if you are doing an array of AP's you have self healing built in if you have an AP failure. The others have power envelope to ramp up. It's the same with audio:

Say you have distributed sound throughout. A speaker every 44 foot radius. You have a total amount of gain structure to 21dB. You run everything at 15dB though. If you have a speaker fail you have 6dB of headroom before you hit your power constraint with the next closest speakers to make up for the loss.

But you have to take into account anything that acts as a baffle: Wall construction type, elevators, metal stairways, brick, metal impregnated glass, etc.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a L2 Wifi bridge that I could point at you from 5 miles away and your phone would see the SSID I'm sending (like highfighisaloser).

You could try and connect but you would get nowhere.

highfigh

highfigh

I have a L2 Wifi bridge that I could point at you from 5 miles away and your phone would see the SSID I'm sending (like highfighisaloser).

You could try and connect but you would get nowhere.
"highfighisaloser", or 'Bitemehard'?

Familiar with the two-piece setups, but this is for a cottage behind a house and it's not that far away. Unfortunately, both buildings have limestone exterior, so.....

highfigh

highfigh

Exactly. That's why I have two now.

My only issue is devices are acting up transitioning from AP to AP. If I could fix that, I'd be golden.
Especially when they're from Apple. I tell my customers to turn off the WiFi on their phones/tablets and on again when the throughput hits the brick wall. They understand this when I call it 'separation anxiety'.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You need to make sure that 802.11k/v/r is turned on.
I do, or what Unifi calls it. "Fast roaming" is enabled. After using Sophos, I still feel the Unifi stuff doesn't let you customize enough settings.

2022-05-05 11_36_07-UniFi Network.png

jinjuku

jinjuku

I do, or what Unifi calls it. "Fast roaming" is enabled. After using Sophos, I still feel the Unifi stuff doesn't let you customize enough settings.

View attachment 55848
You only have 11r turned on with that option. Perusing the Unifi community, and it affirms my choice to use TP-LINK, is that it's clear as mud as to what standards they support, how to access them, and get it all working reliably.

Also note 'Beta'. Again it's why I don't use Unifi. They are like Zebra Stripe gum IMO.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You only have 11r turned on with that option. Perusing the Unifi community, and it affirms my choice to use TP-LINK, is that it's clear as mud as to what standards they support, how to access them, and get it all working reliably.

Also note 'Beta'. Again it's why I don't use Unifi. They are like Zebra Stripe gum IMO.
Yeah, I should have switched when I got a USG from them and it was horrible to set up. I've never gotten that mad at a piece of networking equipment.

I may keep my little unifi switches, but I think it might be time to move on.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you want an even better up market experience with your Wifi spend just a few $$'s more and get Aruba Instant On.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis