M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
New stuff. I added the new 2012 JTR sealed triple 8's as my surrounds speakers. They are a better sonic match for my 2012 Triple 12's and the sealed design is smaller (not as deep) and so better for my wall mounted application. They are barely viable as they are cut into the side rear most GIK Acoustic panels. I did a brief stereo test with the new sealed units and with a new upgraded CD and Xover, they are the best sounding triple 8's yet.

I said they were barely visible (unfortunately, my photography skills have not improved) ;)

The unchanged Front End (and Ajax, my Jack Russell movie buddy)

Peek behind the Screen at the Triple 12's

That's all folks!
Wow, looks great! Like the idea of the frame/trim.

I'm curious about the new compression driver in the new t8s, that's been the weak point for me in mine. I've replaced it once and the one might be going again. I think they just get hot or something. As I don't really want to spend the money for three new speakers right now (saving for a place to build my REAL theater one day hehe), I'd be curious if I could swap mine. He has the 'new CD with protection device' in bold on the website, so I doubt I'm the only one running into this problem.

I e-mailed Jeff but didn't hear back, then got busy and forgot; I need to give him a ring at some point.

You've inspired me to snap some shots of mine in current state, I need to get on that.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Wow, looks great! Like the idea of the frame/trim.

I'm curious about the new compression driver in the new t8s, that's been the weak point for me in mine. I've replaced it once and the one might be going again. I think they just get hot or something. As I don't really want to spend the money for three new speakers right now (saving for a place to build my REAL theater one day hehe), I'd be curious if I could swap mine. He has the 'new CD with protection device' in bold on the website, so I doubt I'm the only one running into this problem.

I e-mailed Jeff but didn't hear back, then got busy and forgot; I need to give him a ring at some point.

You've inspired me to snap some shots of mine in current state, I need to get on that.
He will upgrade the CD and Xover and the latest is the best sounding CD by a good margin. I've done this with all my speakers.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
He will upgrade the CD and Xover and the latest is the best sounding CD by a good margin. I've done this with all my speakers.
Does he just send the units out and then you swap them?

I'll give him a ring tomorrow.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Yes, that's the deal ... field upgrades and it is very cool.
I sent him an e-mail for a quote. :) Cheers.

What's the major improvement of the new CD besides durability? You said a significant sonic improvement?

Are they approaching your Revels in terms of imagining and so forth. I remember you saying the Revels had a slight edge over the JTRs for music at lower levels, but that the dynamics more than compensated. With the new CD how does it compare? Or has it been too long since you've heard the Revels?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Ordered from Jeff. :) I shall find out. :) Excited to see if I hear any difference addition to the stronger CDs.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Ordered from Jeff. :) I shall find out. :) Excited to see if I hear any difference addition to the stronger CDs.
I'll be interested in your take. I hear a smoother top end with all of the detail but a bit cleaner sounding (especially on acoustic hirez recordings). Closer to my Revels than the previous CD but still able to crank out big dynamics with ease.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I'll be interested in your take. I hear a smoother top end with all of the detail but a bit cleaner sounding (especially on acoustic hirez recordings). Closer to my Revels than the previous CD but still able to crank out big dynamics with ease.
Finding the same thing. Much smoother top end. Actually had to really adjust my tuning, as I had the treble (very) slightly rolled off on the previous CD for indoor use (outdoor I didn't), versus now I'm letting them roll off naturally.

Watched Master & Commander and, yeah, they still got it lol.

Right now I'm doing some work and have them playing in the background at a moderate level, just enjoying. :)

I know it's all just in the gain structure, but it's pretty funny how loud these will go if you don't use the input attentuators on the amps pretty aggressively (I'm running 1000wpc to the fronts, 400wpc to rears, 2000wpc to subs). Otherwise at like -30dB on the preamp photos are falling off the wall lol. I have it set so that -17dB is about where I watch a movie now, depending on the soundtrack level obviously. -10 for demo's, people leave white faced in my little room. They see big speakers, but they have no idea what they are in for when that helicopter crashes in Terminator Salvation. ;)

What have been your demo discs lately?

Do you ever catch yourself throwing on a demo disc just for yourself? I'll toss in a good one and just watch a bit for my fix. ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Yes, I do find myself going solo with demo material all the time. I picked up the Scuba Steve bluray demo disk a couple of months ago and it is great for movie scene demos.

I also liked Super 8 (the train crash sequence). The era was that of my age cohort so I liked the film a lot too. The plane crash scene in "Knowing" has some incredible dynamics (check out the subway derailing and the last chapter too).

Hope your have a great Xmas and a happy and healthy New Year. :)

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
For any who might be interested, on the recommendation of Jeff P @ JTR Speakers I upgraded my LCR Triple12-HT speakers with new crossovers and compression drivers. I was very happy with the sound of the previous XO and CD but Jeff upgraded both receintly looking for a more refined sound. He hand builds each XO and the CD's are 3X the cost of the CD's he used previously.

I find the new combo to live up to the billing and they present a slightly cleaner high-mid frequency for music while not giving up any of the dynamics that make these speakers so special for HT use.

Here are some pics of the XO upgrade process.

Crossovers: original (2) on the left replaced by the single unit on the right.

Original XO in place:

New XO installed:

Kind of a fun job with a little rewiring but really very simple. Pretty cool that owners who are willing can field upgrade the speakers. That is my kind of program ... :cool:

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
RMK,

Excellent update - your set up is the only (cost per dollar!) one that makes me want to upgrade my beloved Songtowers!

JP

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
RMK,

Excellent update - your set up is the only (cost per dollar!) one that makes me want to upgrade my beloved Songtowers!

JP

Thanks, I've never heard Salks but the reports from users are very good.

The grass isn't always greener. I was looking for an uber theater sound (mini IMAX) and that is what motivated me to go in the JTR direction. Many of the speakers I had prior were great sounding and did everything very well up to a point. Bottom line is I got what I wanted but that may not be for everyone as ultimately sound is subjective.:)

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Just read through this entire thread. The progression was incredibly interesting. I was planning on rewatching Iron Man on blu ray tonight, but this took up all the time I had, haha.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Just read through this entire thread. The progression was incredibly interesting. I was planning on rewatching Iron Man on blu ray tonight, but this took up all the time I had, haha.
Sorry if the thread disruped your movie night but glad you found it interesting. I had he HT to myself last night and watched Underworld Awakenings. The relentless bass in that bluray literally gave me a headache. Too much of a good thing I guess.:)

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Sorry if the thread disruped your movie night but glad you found it interesting. I had he HT to myself last night and watched Underworld Awakenings. The relentless bass in that bluray literally gave me a headache. Too much of a good thing I guess.:)
I just watched that movie 2 nights ago! Great minds think alike, I guess, haha.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well, I sold my Triple 12HT's and will be getting a new LCR set from JTR. These speakers will employ a new "high end" compression driver set in a horn rather than the coaxial CD of the current Triple 12. It will have a similar cabinet and the same bass drivers as the current T12 but a new crossover has been built and is being tested/tweaked now in the prototypes. The speaker does not yet have a name but I call them the T12-2H (not very sexy). The CD is a high end BMS unit that should provide better clarity at all SPL's. ETA is about a month.

I'm ready and kind of excited. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis