New home owner needs new home audio

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Iv
My guess is because they could make more money on subwoofers with built in amps and also people didn’t care about subwoofers as much as speakers. The sub amps cost more money vs no amp. And the subwoofers died faster due to the built in amp, so people had to buy more subs.

But I’ve been using externally powered subs and speakers since the beginning of my audio journey, so I am never changing. Never had a passive sub or speaker die on me in 30+ years.
I've lost and replaced two plate amps over the years. Fortunately they aren't terribly expensive. The replacement plate amp I put in my B&W sub is stronger and better than the original. It has been running for about 12 years.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I thought Arendal was a fairly new company....
I believe they were founded in 1961. I know they have a speaker system with that name. They could be new to home audio.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Iv

I've lost and replaced two plate amps over the years. Fortunately they aren't terribly expensive. The replacement plate amp I put in my B&W sub is stronger and better than the original. It has been running for about 12 years.
Probably better than the little subs they sell today typically , is there something special about the way they sound ?
Expensive brand but the speakers look spectacular. I’ve heard people say they’re overpriced and don’t measure well too .
So it’s like Klipch, hate it love ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So that’s 2 dead plate amps for 1 person. I know 3 other friends who have replaced their sub amps, one of them replaced twice before being sold off. How many more people? Probably adds up to a lot. :D

Oh, and I’m not counting the people with speakers that have built-in subs. Just standalone subs with plate amps.

I’ve own 15 externally powered subs in over 30 years. Not one sub needed an ext amp replaced. :D

Now I realize it’s still probably no big deal to experience a couple of dead plate amps.

But one dead plate amp is one too many dead plate amps to me personally. :D

There’s a very good reason all the in-walls and in-ceiling subs are externally powered and don’t have plate amps. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So that’s 2 dead plate amps for 1 person. I know 3 other friends who have replaced their sub amps, one of them replaced twice before being sold off. How many more people? Probably adds up to a lot. :D

Oh, and I’m not counting the people with speakers that have built-in subs. Just standalone subs with plate amps.

I’ve own 15 externally powered subs in over 30 years. Not one sub needed an ext amp replaced. :D

Now I realize it’s still probably no big deal to experience a couple of dead plate amps.

But one dead plate amp is one too many dead plate amps to me personally. :D

There’s a very good reason all the in-walls and in-ceiling subs are externally powered and don’t have plate amps. :D
I had one amp fail on a Canton subwoofer many years ago, and then I bought the SVS SB-12 NSD that I later replaced with two SVS SB-3000 four years ago. The SB-12 NSD worked fine when I sold it after a decade of use, the last few years in my home office.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I had one amp fail on a Canton subwoofer many years ago, and then I bought the SVS SB-12 NSD that I later replaced with two SVS SB-3000 four years ago. The SB-12 NSD worked fine when I sold it after a decade of use, the last few years in my home office.
I had one from bash replace Under warranty the power cord went defective in a year or less , the one since had been fine for years . But I haven’t used that sub in 2 years or so . $300 bucks or so cord isn’t even solid .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The subs in those days were used mainly in pro audio but they were available for home use.
And this thread is about home audio- why even mention pro audio since most here won't know abouti t, especially when the equipment was made in/around the '60s? Technically, anything is available for home use, but since most of the speakers were much larger than what is likely to be acceptable in a home, there's not much chance that people are going to look at it.

I get it- some small pro audio speakers would work great in a larger home theater but again, most people would never consider them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I had one from bash replace Under warranty the power cord went defective in a year or less , the one since had been fine for years . But I haven’t used that sub in 2 years or so . $300 bucks or so cord isn’t even solid .
How did the power cord go bad? I have never seen that happen in the 50+ years I have worked with audio (the first 6 years at a music store that sold all kinds of amplifiers and powered equipment).

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Probably better than the little subs they sell today typically , is there something special about the way they sound ?
Expensive brand but the speakers look spectacular. I’ve heard people say they’re overpriced and don’t measure well too .
So it’s like Klipch, hate it love ?
A larger driver with the same excursion as a smaller driver will move more air and consequently go deeper into the bass frequencies.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just more curious what the other old subs were....I've run into some of the old JBLs but...
The first ones I can think of are from kriesel. Iirc he’s been credited with the first HT subwoofer system. I know there’s more to it, and my mind is getting foggy these days, but that’s the short version…

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A larger driver with the same excursion as a smaller driver will move more air and consequently go deeper into the bass frequencies.
More air, more sensitive yes. Deeper? Maybe. Depends on a few things.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m saying that brands subs just aren’t on par with competitors. Yes you’re correct!
How did the power cord go bad? I have never seen that happen in the 50+ years I have worked with audio (the first 6 years at a music store that sold all kinds of amplifiers and powered equipment).
not sure it like got loose not soon after I bought it then It eventually wouldn’t power on , the internal amp parts all still worked .

D

dalotissac

Audiophyte
It's a curse of the "gotta have it now" mindset that the banks and marketers exploit, and even perpetuate. The wiser option is to "save" for what you really want, as foreign as that sounds, this day in age.

Last edited:
D

dianaermos

Audiophyte
TVs no longer have analog outputs, only digital. Some do not have optical any longer, only HDMI eARC.

Last edited:
JannGrew

JannGrew

Audiophyte
Hey there, congrats on your new home! It's great that you're looking to set up a bookshelf/home audio system. If you're open to used receivers, check out local classifieds or online marketplaces for potential deals. As for the speakers, consider your preferences and room size for the best fit. You can also buy all the necessary things before moving and then use the moving company like https://aoamoving.com/ to transfer them. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis