New Here & Looking for Advice About Everything!

KevinHarrisJr

KevinHarrisJr

Audiophyte
I didn’t have much choice for comparison, but I think that they are quite loud

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Getting your speakers loud enough?
Actually, the dieing sony put out much louder sound (before going into death mode) than the Denon or the Yamaha (post #1)
I have an oold Kenwood stereo (old as in before they sold them with remotes!) <- this one will rattle the windows at higher volumes. All four are 100 W -channel. The sound level/head/volume of the [post#1] players is not much more than half the volume of the 2 oldies. Kenwood is not an AV reciever, just phono, cd, tape 1, & tape 2 inputs.

Sorry the Yamaha says 110 W/channel f 110w/ch front surround = 220W four speakers
Denon 75 W x2 front & 75 W x2 fr surround 150W = four sp

Why is 100W x2 (old) MUCH louder than 220W x4 or 150W x4 (new)? I do not understand.
-c-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, the dieing sony put out much louder sound (before going into death mode) than the Denon or the Yamaha (post #1)
I have an oold Kenwood stereo (old as in before they sold them with remotes!) <- this one will rattle the windows at higher volumes. All four are 100 W -channel. The sound level/head/volume of the [post#1] players is not much more than half the volume of the 2 oldies. Kenwood is not an AV reciever, just phono, cd, tape 1, & tape 2 inputs.

Sorry the Yamaha says 110 W/channel f 110w/ch front surround = 220W four speakers

Why is 100W x2 (old) MUCH louder than 220W x4 or 150W x4 (new)? I do not understand.
-c-
To start, your specs are too vague to assume they're comparable in basis. Input levels and gain structure can also account for loudness differences. Many with tube amps swear their amps have bigger/more powerful watts when it is more simply their distortion/clipping characteristics. If you list specific model numbers we can take a look at the basis of the spec at least and see what's comparable in that respect.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I agree that you should get the most efficient speakers you can afford. Big watts cost big bucks. Peace and goodwill.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

-c-
You don't give enough info to really even speculate.

On the other hand, instead of trying to get more sound through amplification, which will be pretty expensive, you could start looking for some more sensitive speakers. You can find some very nice vintage speakers with high sensitivity at affordable prices. Pick the right ones and they'll sound just as good as some of the stuff out there today, and will give you more volume than doubling your amplifier power can do.

The right speakers you can make your system louder than doubling your amplifier power would.

Don't know if anyone has suggested that yet...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Examples? (brands, models, I'm lost here.)
Have you been ignoring me?! I posted some on the first page! lol.

Klipsch Heresy speakers are in the 100 dB sensitivity range. That is a significant boost from your current Klipsch speakers which are 95 dB. That's equal to more than doubling your amp power right there, just going with more sensitive speakers.

I found these with a quick and dirty search. First ones that popped up for me. I recommend checking your local Craigslist and search for "Klipsch Heresy speakers". The Heresy II and III are the newer ones and with a little patience I'll bet you can find a nicer pair for around 500 bucks.

Start looking up "high sensitivity speakers" on Google to see what else is out there. I think the Klipsch KG line are pretty sensitive too. When you look at specs, look for 100 dB sensitivity or better.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you been ignoring me?! I posted some on the first page! lol.

Klipsch Heresy speakers are in the 100 dB sensitivity range. That is a significant boost from your current Klipsch speakers which are 95 dB. That's equal to more than doubling your amp power right there, just going with more sensitive speakers.

I found these with a quick and dirty search. First ones that popped up for me. I recommend checking your local Craigslist and search for "Klipsch Heresy speakers". The Heresy II and III are the newer ones and with a little patience I'll bet you can find a nicer pair for around 500 bucks.

Start looking up "high sensitivity speakers" on Google to see what else is out there. I think the Klipsch KG line are pretty sensitive too. When you look at specs, look for 100 dB sensitivity or better.
I would guess that Heresy's are not 100 dB. No doubt they are more sensitive than most, but remember that the way Klipsch rates their sensitivity inflates that number well over how most loudspeaker manufacturers rate sensitivity. My guess is that the Heresy speakers might be in the 95 dB range. You won't have an easy time finding a home audio loudspeaker that is truly over 100 dB sensitive. The Klipschorn probably is. Large professional cinema speakers can get there, but not so much home audio aside from large exotic speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would guess that Heresy's are not 100 dB. No doubt they are more sensitive than most, but remember that the way Klipsch rates their sensitivity inflates that number well over how most loudspeaker manufacturers rate sensitivity. My guess is that the Heresy speakers might be in the 95 dB range. You won't have an easy time finding a home audio loudspeaker that is truly over 100 dB sensitive. The Klipschorn probably is. Large professional cinema speakers can get there, but not so much home audio aside from large exotic speakers.
James,
You are right. Klipsch at least once published specs for the Heresy enclosure and they specified a sensitivity of 96 dB for a 1 watt input. If that publicity was released when Paul Klipsch was still alive, then we could have trust in what was published:

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry I thought 'vintage' = 'used'
Usually vintage is used, but speakers have a much longer shelf life than most electronics, and while the tech has come a ways in the last couple of decades the principle is still the same and you can find some really good, high quality speakers on the used market. You just gotta educate yourself a little and learn what to look for.

@shadyJ well, even if they aren't truly 100 dB they're rated by the same company to be 5 dB more sensitive than the Klipsch speakers he has now so I'd still expect ~the same gains at least equal to doubling his amp power, right? Assuming you use the same grain of salt as with the Heresies and subtract 5 dB.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Usually vintage is used, but speakers have a much longer shelf life than most electronics, and while the tech has come a ways in the last couple of decades the principle is still the same and you can find some really good, high quality speakers on the used market. You just gotta educate yourself a little and learn what to look for.

@shadyJ well, even if they aren't truly 100 dB they're rated by the same company to be 5 dB more sensitive than the Klipsch speakers he has now so I'd still expect ~the same gains at least equal to doubling his amp power, right? Assuming you use the same grain of salt as with the Heresies and subtract 5 dB.
Yeah, they should still be more sensitive than what he has now.

I have enjoyed some of the Klipsch Heritage speakers, but I never really cared for the Heresys. If I wanted speakers that can get much louder than what he has now without sounding bad, I would be looking at QSC's K2 series. Some of JBL's Eon speakers might be good and affordable as well. JTR speakers are more expensive but are very good too.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I have been looking on Craigslist for speakers, 'bout the only place to look around here.
-c-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have been looking on Craigslist for speakers, 'bout the only place to look around here.
-c-
Availability generally in your area as well as good timing as to when you look.....where are you? maybe some of us can help with a look/suggestions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
-c-
Found a pair of Martin Logan 35XTs for $450 that have high sensitivity, but not sure if their total volume would do it for you, and you definitely need subwoofage (which you have) with them. In either case they're nice speakers.

*Edit: They're $450 EACH! Who sells speakers on Craigslist in "each" quantities!? I got kind of excited about those! I'd pass on 'em for $900. My bad.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Found a pair of Martin Logan 35XTs for $450 that have high sensitivity, but not sure if their total volume would do it for you, and you definitely need subwoofage (which you have) with them. In either case they're nice speakers.

*Edit: They're $450 EACH! Who sells speakers on Craigslist in "each" quantities!? I got kind of excited about those! I'd pass on 'em for $900. My bad.
Didn't you wish CL had a comment section in a person's wanted post. Rahaha. Some people are just...

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I have gone with the "Yamaha TSR-7850" avr.
Have a few Q's. Quite loud enough for my bad hearing. OK. however, volume is up to 70± % with cable /media at about 50%. If higher media vol settings & lower avr vol settings, the sound gets distorted. Is the 70% avr setting gonna reduce the life of the unit?

I have as the front speakers the Klipsch set, The Technics (3 way with 12" woofers) as front surround, & a center speaker. TV location precludes rear speakers, (no room).
Is this ok? Would the Teacs be better used here?
Also, the sound of movies is fine, except the vocal portion. talk is either distorted or like they have larengitis.

Anyway, I am getting there, , , ,

-c-

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, they should still be more sensitive than what he has now.

I have enjoyed some of the Klipsch Heritage speakers, but I never really cared for the Heresys. If I wanted speakers that can get much louder than what he has now without sounding bad, I would be looking at QSC's K2 series. Some of JBL's Eon speakers might be good and affordable as well. JTR speakers are more expensive but are very good too.
I'm not writing this to start a conflict, I'm only trying to learn, as you wrote 100 db's are hard to find, so why are others recommending these speakers, judging by the new Crutchfield price, these are $2600 for the pair, the original poster reported that his hearing is not as good as it once was, why in God's name does he need such an expensive set of speakers or for that matter an expensive rarity?

QSC K2 series, OK, that gives some info that can be looked up, JBL Eon and JTR speakers, that is helpful.

OK, looked up the first two, they are sold as loudspeakers for PA systems, again, this poster wants to watch loud movies/tv and listen to music, these recommendations seem way different than what I've been reading in other threads.

JTR's, looks like again we are in the $2000 to $4000 price range, does this poster seriously need that, I would think a 2 or 3 way tower pair of speakers at Crutchfield for $800 could do the job.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis