New Here & Looking for Advice About Everything!

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I have gone from vid to tv & sound to the stereo to now: hdmi to stereo reciever (Sony). The Sony is dying & I want to replace it with something with more volume, LOUDER! I worked with heavy equipment for 40 years and my hearing is very bad. I have 2 recievers & 2 weeks to decide which to return.
1, Yamaha TSR7850
2, DENON AVRS750H

Have Klipsch tower speakers,
Technics SB CR-77 (3 way) speakers, old but sound good?
No sub-woofers (my high frequency hearing is shot) (the technics have 12" woofers)
Have '4' Teac CS F401 speakers given to me, never used

What does anybody & everybody have to say/recommend?

Thanks, cornemuse

edit: I'm having issues understanding the two recievers instructions, just listing what I now have, , , ,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The receivers you are thinking about are probably not going to be a lot louder than your Sony. If you want louder from an amplification stage in an AVR, you will need a high end AVR. The lower and and mid level AVRs that you are looking at will all have about the same level of power output. I would get a AVR with pr-outs and get separate amplifiers. If you really want a noticeable increase in headroom, I would be looking at ones with at least 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
The receivers you are thinking about are probably not going to be a lot louder than your Sony. If you want louder from an amplification stage in an AVR, you will need a high end AVR. The lower and and mid level AVRs that you are looking at will all have about the same level of power output. I would get a AVR with pr-outs and get separate amplifiers. If you really want a noticeable increase in headroom, I would be looking at ones with at least 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms.
Any av rec's you would recommend? under $400.00? ($500.00?) (200 ± watts per channel at 8 ohms.)
AVR with pr-outs? Is this 'pre outs'? How would this be indicated in specifications?
How to (gogol!) duck-duck for these types of amps?
Looking at some remotes, they have actual bass & treble buttons! Onkyo is one. & actual buttons for hdmi/etc selection.

My hearing is shot, I just need LOUD!
I dont have smartphone or iphone. I dont want network attached. I watch the news (cable/sat) dvd/blueray & (hardware) media players (2). Do NOT want a huge menu to find a particular setting. (old sony required about 15 or more menu/down arrow/right arrow/down/right/down/right/wow! bass/down 1/treble!) Was easier to get up & set on actual reciever.
I will be 74 next month and I just want simple, , , ,
-corne-

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any av rec's you would recommend? under $400.00? ($500.00?) (200 ± watts per channel at 8 ohms.)
AVR with pr-outs? Is this 'pre outs'? How would this be indicated in specifications?
How to (gogol!) duck-duck for these types of amps?
Looking at some remotes, they have actual bass & treble buttons! Onkyo is one. & actual buttons for hdmi/etc selection.

My hearing is shot, I just need LOUD!
I dont have smartphone or iphone. I dont want network attached. I watch the news (cable/sat) dvd/blueray & (hardware) media players (2). Do NOT want a huge menu to find a particular setting. (old sony required about 15 or more menu/down arrow/right arrow/down/right/down/right/wow! bass/down 1/treble!) Was easier to get up & set on actual reciever.
I will be 74 next month and I just want simple, , , ,
-corne-
Denon X3500H. It's 100 wpc, but has a full set of preouts for separate amplification.

You won't find a receiver with the power you want for under a thousand bucks. Anything else you get is gonna more or less be a lateral move unless you get a separate amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another way to think about louder with a modest amp is with higher sensitivity speakers. Which Klipsch do you have? They tend to be relatively sensitive, can't find anything on the older Technics/Teac speakers you mention, tho. AVRs tend to be more complex than simple old analog 2ch gear, RTFM is the best route then ask questions on what you don't understand :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another way to think about louder with a modest amp is with higher sensitivity speakers. Which Klipsch do you have? They tend to be relatively sensitive, can't find anything on the older Technics/Teac speakers you mention, tho. AVRs tend to be more complex than simple old analog 2ch gear, RTFM is the best route then ask questions on what you don't understand :)
That actually is the best way to go if the goal is louder. Higher sensitivity speakers will get you there a lot more efficiently than trying to throw hundreds of watts at the situation. Less chance of melting your speakers too...

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are these the speaker amps refered to?

https://www.amazon.com/s?bbn=537344&rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:667846011,n:9977442011,n:281053,n:537344,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:5909018011&dc&fst=as:eek:ff&qid=1577290952&rnid=2888148011&ref=lp_537344_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_0

What is "RTFM"?

I drove bulldozers for 40 years! (I still use Win XP!) I'm a 73 yr old babe in the woods, , , , ,

-corne-

Oh yes, mine are Klipsch "synergy SLX" speakers, about 6 ft away & at ear level.
"RTFM" = Read The Fu***ng Manual. Generally meant as tongue in cheek.

I think the best way for you to get extreme amplification would probably be to go the pro route and a decent receiver with a full set of preouts like the Denon I linked above. For an amp I'd say look at QSC, maybe something from the RMX series. Crown is another one popular among some of our members here too. Maybe the XLS 2502.

That's gonna be your most cost effective way to get the gobs of power you seem to be after, but I don't think you're gonna get it for less than a thousand bucks. Alternatively, if you find some very sensitive speakers you can gain the same benefits of more volume with less power. Keep in mind it takes doubling your amplifier power to gain only 3 dB. If you can hit 100 dB with 100 watts then you need 200 watts to hit 103 dB. That's noticeable but it's not what most expect.

Check out this spl calculator and you'll get the idea. You just fill in the blanks and tick the right box and it will give you an idea what to expect with any given power spec at your seat.

PS. I just looked up your speakers and they claim a 95 dB sensitivity which is already pretty good, tho there are better out there. Just so we're sure, these are your speakers, yes? Are you using a sub with those? They definitely need one.

ff1.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are these the speaker amps refered to?

https://www.amazon.com/s?bbn=537344&rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:667846011,n:9977442011,n:281053,n:537344,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:5909018011&dc&fst=as:eek:ff&qid=1577290952&rnid=2888148011&ref=lp_537344_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_0

What is "RTFM"?

I drove bulldozers for 40 years! (I still use Win XP!) I'm a 73 yr old babe in the woods, , , , ,

-corne-

Oh yes, mine are Klipsch "synergy SLX" speakers, about 6 ft away & at ear level.
Well, that page of amps at Amazon has several different types for different uses somewhat so.....it depends. LOL sorry for the acronym but it has much truth in it, best way to learn how to setup an avr is via the manual (or asking specific questions). I'd also add a sub to those particular speakers (altho I didn't understand what you were saying about your hearing damage in regards to using subwoofers....are you actually not able to appreciate bass frequencies? or just higher frequencies?).

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
"RTFM" = Read The Fu***ng Manual. Generally meant as tongue in cheek.
!!!
I did RTFM (!) for the two I have at home right now, they are waay too convoluted (written by chinese, with english as a second language??), & waay too much information I that cant fathom, , , thats why I'm here.

are you actually not able to appreciate bass frequencies? or just higher frequencies?
Mainly the higher freq's (I also worked around fighter jets for 4 years usaf = ejection seats, jet engines started the damage, dozers stepped in for the kill) The 'Technics are '3 way', have 12" woofers, I can 'feel' the bass.
I think a lower end av rec, (4 or 5 hdmi in & one out) (& a simple remote!) (phono input, I have a decent pre-amp for one) & something to 'boost' the sound level is all I need/want. Any more, I cannot appreciate the 'quality' of the sound, I dont need perfect undistorted sound, just decent sound.
Now I'm rambling!

-corne-

edit: yes, those are my klipsch speakers. I have 'em about 7' away & the centers at ± ear level

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
!!!
I did RTFM (!) for the two I have at home right now, they are waay too convoluted (written by chinese, with english as a second language??), & waay too much information I that cant fathom, , , thats why I'm here.

Mainly the higher freq's (I also worked around fighter jets for 4 years usaf = ejection seats, jet engines started the damage, dozers stepped in for the kill) The 'Technics are '3 way', have 12" woofers, I can 'feel' the bass.
I think a lower end av rec, (4 or 5 hdmi in & one out) (& a simple remote!) (phono input, I have a decent pre-amp for one) & something to 'boost' the sound level is all I need/want. Any more, I cannot appreciate the 'quality' of the sound, I dont need perfect undistorted sound, just decent sound.
Now I'm rambling!

-corne-

edit: yes, those are my klipsch speakers. I have 'em about 7' away & the centers at ± ear level
LOL yes, there's a lot of information as there's a lot going on in an avr these days. Denon's manuals these days are much better than they used to be, there was a guy named batpig who has a Denon-to-English dictionary he put up years back when they were harder to understand. Can't speak for Yamaha but they use their own language for sound modes and dsp and I find their terminology a bit confusing compared to the others. Probably some translation from Japanese that may be clunky here and there, tho.

A 12" woofer may or may not have good bass, subs are generally better than a speaker's woofer in any case. You may or may not want one, but an avr is a good tool to help incorporate one in any case.

Lower end avrs probably won't have a phono stage but if you have a separate phono stage already you don't need a phono input. Not sure what you mean by you need something to boost the sound particularly....you mean like a loudness contour? Or just a unit with pre-outs so you can add a massive amp you may or may not actually need?

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
what you mean by you need something to boost the sound particularly
I'm almost deaf in one ear & the other is not much better. And I cant wear hearing aids, every time I tried I got/get ear infections. So, I want/need it really loud! so's I can hear it!
-c-

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm almost deaf in one ear & the other is not much better. And I cant wear hearing aids, every time I tried I got/get ear infections. So, I want/need it really loud! so's I can hear it!
-c-
Like I recommended earlier, there are a couple of ways to go about it but it's gonna be more than 500 bucks unless you find some super sensitive speakers in that range. Getting more volume through amplification is going to be expensive, period. There ain't no way around it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
-c-
Have you tried headphones?
They are the least expensive way to give you lots of SPL!
They will also give you a way to establish expectations of what you can accomplish with a loud system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
-c-
If you want to keep your speakers and you can't get them loud enough with an avr alone, you'll need a power amp (and an avr that has pre-outs so you can use the power amp). Still, it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB spl....and speakers have their limits as to how much power you can realistically use.

Which Klipsch models do you have? They tend to be relatively sensitive so should get quite loud even with just an avr.

I like Kurt's suggestion of headphones....if your ears can tolerate them (I'm not a big fan of using such myself).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Headphones are a good suggestion. If that's not preferable tho, maybe start searching craigslist and ebay for a used pair of Klipsch Heresy II or III speakers. You can get a bump in total volume equal to more than doubling the power you have right now and if you're lucky you might find a pair in the $500 - $700 range.

I found these pretty easy with a quick search. With some more effort and patience I'll bet you can do better. The Heresies are well regarded speakers and very sensitive (99 dB compared to your current Klipsch speakers at 95 dB), meaning you don't need gobs of power for them to play very loud.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Headphones work but eventually give me headaches. I used to use some realistic pro 60 fones (koss hvx) which were pretty decent. I have replaced the pads 5-6 times over the years. need to again. After 1-2 hrs even these give/gave headaches.

I know I seem hard to please, I'm not, I'm just worn out!!

I also have some Audio Technica noise cancelling fones, work well but more than 1 hr = splitting headache!

-c-

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Headphones work but eventually give me headaches. I used to use some realistic pro 60 fones (koss hvx) which were pretty decent. I have replaced the pads 5-6 times over the years. need to again. After 1-2 hrs even these give/gave headaches.

I know I seem hard to please, I'm not, I'm just worn out!!

I also have some Audio Technica noise cancelling fones, work well but more than 1 hr = splitting headache!

-c-
How about some more sensitive speakers, that I've suggested a couple of times now?!

KevinHarrisJr

KevinHarrisJr

Audiophyte
joining. I have a problem with this too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis