New Emotiva Monoblock Amp $299!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In any well designed amp that has a fuse to protect its power supply, most of the time. it takes decades before needing to replace a protecting fuse.

Personally, I prefer to have to replace a fuse than having to replace an electronic device that has caught fire or caused damage to surrounding stuff including speakers.:)
Yeah, but with a circuit breaker, you wouldn’t have to replace the fuse, right? The breaker is used in place of the fuse.

But if the fuse is simple to replace, I guess it’s really no big deal. Just nitpicking. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems the Outlaw 200W-8ohm/ 300W-4ohm Monoblock ($268 when buying 7 amps) is a lot better than the EMO $300 Monoblock in every way.

So yeah, absolutely no love for the EMO IMO.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
They do have fuses to protect the power supply, but not in the signal path, only so I guess you are technically correct if you meant output fuses. I don't know if @ADTG has seen the Outlaw's schematic or block diagram that shows where the fuses are, but as long as they are not in the signal path it won't affect sound quality.
I've just perused the owner's manual for the RMX850a. It would have one circuit breaker for each channel -No fuse. :)
But it looks like tthe DCA series amps don't have any fuse or breaker. I read the troubleshooting section in the owner's manual and there's no mention whatsoever about a fuse or circuit breaker in the text, and there's no circuit breaker switch at the back of my amps. I assume that their protection circuits are adequate to prevent extensive damage should a malfunction occur.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've just perused the owner's manual for the RMX850a. It would have one circuit breaker for each channel -No fuse. :)
But it looks like tthe DCA series amps don't have any fuse or breaker. I read the troubleshooting section in the owner's manual and there's no mention whatsoever about a fuse or circuit breaker in the text, and there's no circuit breaker switch at the back of my amps.
In that case that would be one difference between the 850 and 850a.

I don't have the service manual for the 850a so I based my comments on the 850.

Also, I thought I saw the fuses when I had my 850a opened for the fan swap. I am going to review the photos to see if the breakers were captured.

Edit: Okay, I remember right about seeing the fuses, found the photo. The breakers for for the transformer primary protection, the fuses are on the transformer secondary, to protect the rectifier bridges. You can see the 2 fuses in the bottom right corner.

IMG_20180126_170412Resized.jpg

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Also, I thought I saw the fuses when I had my 850a opened for the fan swap. I am going to review the photos to see if the breakers were captured.

Edit: Okay, I remember right about seeing the fuses, found the photo. The breakers for for the transformer primary protection, the fuses are on the transformer secondary, to protect the rectifier bridges. You can see the 2 fuses in the bottom right corner.

View attachment 25087
Those fuses on the secondaries are more likely to protect a relatively expensive transformer.

Those are a good idea! And, I doubt that many commercial designs do this.

Post #25 on here, you can see my fuses on the t/f secondaries. This is a good design decision, as outlined in the book by G Randy Sloan.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-chipamp-project-thread.92513/page-2

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But it looks like tthe DCA series amps don't have any fuse or breaker. I read the troubleshooting section in the owner's manual and there's no mention whatsoever about a fuse or circuit breaker in the text, and there's no circuit breaker switch at the back of my amps. I assume that their protection circuits are adequate to prevent extensive damage should a malfunction occur.
I really suspect that the power supply has a fuse, it is a safety feature. As in the safety of your home and life.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those fuses on the secondaries are more likely to protect a relatively expensive transformer.

Those are a good idea! And, I doubt that many commercial designs do this.

Post #25 on here, you can see my fuses on the t/f secondaries. This is a good design decision, as outlined in the book by G Randy Sloan.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-chipamp-project-thread.92513/page-2
They obviously do help protect the transformer as well because that's what feeds the rectifiers. The transformer on the primary side of the transformer offers protection against not only overloading (only severe overloading), but also short circuit on the secondary side, even if the short is on the upstream side of the fuses. Anyway it is always good to have protection on both side of the transformer.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 25087
This is a nice construction which is definitely not crammed like components in today's surround AVRs.

By the way, I assume that all the circuit boards on this RMX850a are installed upside down to prevent dust to accumulate on the components and boards as with my DCA amps.
1532103996512.gif

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is a nice construction which is definitely not crammed like components in today's surround AVRs.

By the way, I assume that all the circuit boards on this RMX850a are installed upside down to prevent dust to accumulate on the components and boards as with my DCA amps.
View attachment 25093
I'm not familiar with these amps, but I assume if the boards are mounted upside down they have a fan, correct?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, they do. What a bright design!
Then the reason for the upside-down boards is probably to put the active components in the airflow, not to prevent dust build-up. If they're worried about dust the fan would be filtered.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a video link to the QSC Audio factory and info on their manufacturing process:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Then the reason for the upside-down boards is probably to put the active components in the airflow, not to prevent dust build-up. If they're worried about dust the fan would be filtered.
If you look carefully at the photo which Peng posted above, you will see that the boards are not in the air flow. The cooling fan pushes air from the back to the front, in an aluminum tunnel formed by two joined heatsinks at the center of the chassis. :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are many and more on the way, but the old reputation persists. Even quite a few hi-end mfrs use Hypex and ICE modules now and are well regarded by most....except those who haven't caught up or don't like the power supply or think class A or A/B are inherently superior because they believe they can hear the class of amp used by looking at them :)
I will be honest, I am using a ICE Power amp in my Pioneer AVR and I think I like the sound better when I use outboard amplifiers. I think there is something almost 'thin' sounding about the ICE power amp compared to other amplifiers, as though other amps have a fuller sound. One thing I want to do is a close comparison of the Pioneer amp to some other amp topology to see if the difference is just in my imagination. I wonder if it is because the peak power output of ICE amps is so much more than the continuous output? They are extremely efficient though, I have to admire that about them, but I have to wonder if their burst vs average output doesn't resemble some kind of audible compression on some content, like a compressor with a lax attack but swift release filter?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
They obviously do help protect the transformer as well because that's what feeds the rectifiers. The transformer on the primary side of the transformer offers protection against not only overloading (only severe overloading),but also short circuit on the secondary side, even if the short is on the upstream side of the fuses. Anyway it is always good to have protection on both side of the transformer.
U may not be aware...
UL/CSA/CE/ETL requires a thermal circuit breaker inside the primary power transformer... This is a mandatory requirement..

Just my $0.02... ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I will be honest, I am using a ICE Power amp in my Pioneer AVR and I think I like the sound better when I use outboard amplifiers. I think there is something almost 'thin' sounding about the ICE power amp compared to other amplifiers, as though other amps have a fuller sound. One thing I want to do is a close comparison of the Pioneer amp to some other amp topology to see if the difference is just in my imagination. I wonder if it is because the peak power output of ICE amps is so much more than the continuous output? They are extremely efficient though, I have to admire that about them, but I have to wonder if their burst vs average output doesn't resemble some kind of audible compression on some content, like a compressor with a lax attack but swift release filter?
I think you may have it backwards? I thought that class D don't have much, if any, headroom. Just inherent to the design.

What vintage is your Pio? I know there were some other complaints on the very first generation of Pio D3 amps, but it seems that the newer generations have gotten that all worked out now.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
U may not be aware...
UL/CSA/CE/ETL requires a thermal circuit breaker inside the primary power transformer... This is a mandatory requirement..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yeah, but that's not a user-replaceable item, right? That's a "1 and done and the t/f is now toast", but at least it didn't burn your house down?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you may have it backwards? I thought that class D don't have much, if any, headroom. Just inherent to the design.

What vintage is your Pio? I know there were some other complaints on the very first generation of Pio D3 amps, but it seems that the newer generations have gotten that all worked out now.
My AVR is an SC-55.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis