New Emotiva Monoblock Amp $299!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Wait, the low pass filter is applied after the amp?
I thought it was before!
Ha! You're correct, but subwoofer drivers typically have so much inductance that they naturally roll off very early.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ha! You're correct, but subwoofer drivers typically have so much inductance that they naturally roll off very early.
Yeah, I don't think even a 20kHz signal would gain much purchase on a 18" sub driver!
I may be wrong, but intuitively, it seems like the size and weight of the driver with coil would be an effective "mechanical low-pass filter"!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All I have to say is I'm glad Outlaw is still in business.
I'd rather have the M2200 for looks alone.
It is another $80/each over the Emotiva. But you can buy the B-stock units for $300
You beat me to the punch. :D

And if you buy 7 brand new Outlaw M2200, the total price is $1879, which equals $268 per Monoblock.

Outlaw Monoblock: much better looks (EMO can’t seem to improve on aesthetics to save their lives), more power, better specs, and when you buy 7 amps, the Outlaw is also less expensive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I don’t like about the Outlaw is that it uses fuse, instead of a power circuit breaker like ATI and Crown amps.

Do QSC amps and Yamaha pro amps use circuit breakers or fuses?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The only thing I don’t like about the Outlaw is that it uses fuse, instead of a power circuit breaker like ATI and Crown amps.

With regard to QSC products, neither the RMX or the DCA series of amps use a fuse or a circuit breaker. They are designed with protection against full short circuit, open circuit, thermal, ultrasonic and RF interference. They are also stable into reactive or mismatched loads.
@PENG should be able to confirm this.

One of my friends plays instruments in gigs. He has used many amplifier brands over the years, and the only brand of amps that he hasn't killed is the QSC.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With regard to QSC products, neither the RMX or the DCA series of amps use a fuse or a circuit breaker. They are designed with protection against full short circuit, open circuit, thermal, ultrasonic and RF interference. They are also stable into reactive or mismatched loads.
@PENG should be able to confirm this.

One of my friends plays instruments in gigs. He has used many amplifier brands over the years, and the only brand of amps that he hasn't killed is the QSC.
They do have fuses to protect the power supply, but not in the signal path, only so I guess you are technically correct if you meant output fuses. I don't know if @ADTG has seen the Outlaw's schematic or block diagram that shows where the fuses are, but as long as they are not in the signal path it won't affect sound quality.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Typically fuses are not used for loudspeaker protection, they are too slow to react to a trouble condition.... By the time they respond internal damage or component burnout has already occurred..

Just my $0.02... ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you, but the RMX850a looks better than most Crown amps and may not need to be hidden. :D
PENG made the comment about the QSC being out of sight in response to my comment that I'd happily pay the extra $80 to buy an Outlaw monoblock over the Emotiva on looks alone!
But I do think the QSC looks better than the Emotiva.
Of course the QSC is not a monoblock, so there's that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Speaking of:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/QSC/RMX850-Power-Amp-114342523.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXTm0Rzv6RFcJRbhzweq728N5TDXDvbUV_BreDAY3_pHk064r-SkLIRoCIc8QAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221075135724-device^c-plaid^382887189354-sku^114342523@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Guitar Center must have a buy-back program to support upgrades, because I picked up a similar unit about 6 months ago!
This is RMX850 (no "a") and used, but it is serious power for $130!
I don't remember what the "a" revision changed, but it wasn't something I cared about. Also I don't remember if they charge something to send it to your local store, I had mine shipped to my home.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
PENG made the comment about the QSC being out of sight in response to my comment that I'd happily pay the extra $80 to buy an Outlaw monoblock over the Emotiva on looks alone!
But I do think the QSC looks better than the Emotiva.
Of course the QSC is not a monoblock, so there's that.
A monoblock is not a must unless you want to install a monophonic system, right?

The idea for manufacturers to come up with monoblocks was to attract some audiophiles who, I guess, would want to show something different, for the looks and to impress the audience. But in a muli-channel system, I don't see any advantage other then the aesthetics because a good stereo power amp will perform with the same acoustical transparency as a pair of monoblocks. In addition, I don't know if you agree, but IMO manufacturers take advantage of the prospective buyers with higher price charging than what they are really worth for practical purposes.

Cheers,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Typically fuses are not used for loudspeaker protection, they are too slow to react to a trouble condition.... By the time they respond internal damage or component burnout has already occurred..

Just my $0.02... ;)
There are all kinds of fuses and breakers, slow, fast, or in between, but I really don't want anything between the amp output and speakers period except for wires..

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A monoblock is not a must unless you want to install a monophonic system, right?

The idea for manufacturers to come up with monoblocks was to attract some audiophiles who, I guess, would want to show something different, for the looks and to impress the audience. But in a muli-channel system, I don't see any advantage other then the aesthetics because a good stereo power amp will perform with the same acoustical transparency as a pair of monoblocks. In addition, I don't know if you agree, but IMO manufacturers take advantage of the prospective buyers with higher price charging than what they are really worth for practical purposes.
A monoblock is not even a must for monophonic systems. You can just leave one channel unused. In my current ATI amp one of the channels has always sat completely idle, and it doesn't seem to do it any harm.

The first mono blocks, as I vaguely remember, were solid-state Class A designs, to keep size and power dissipation under at least some ridiculous limits. Then some very high-powered tube and Class AB solid state mono block designs were introduced, and these things were huge. A former colleague of mine had a pair of enormous Threshold SA-12e Class AB mono blocks. Ridiculous things, IMO. I think Gene uses Emotiva XPR-1s, or at least he used to, that are sort of like that, but a heck of a lot more cost effective. I suppose for very high-power Class AB designs it does keep size and weight under a bit of control. I do think there is a high-end audio fad aspect to some mono blocks, especially the Japanese products.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Cheers,
No channel crosstalk with monos. Of course a well designed multi-channel amp will have crosstalk well below any audible levels.

All other items equal, more power available with 2 P/S and 2 transformers as compared to a multi-channel amp that shares the P/S.

Possibly better passive cooling, but not guaranteed.

But, yeah in general a monoblock doesn't seem to make much audible sense, nor financial sense. But, a pair of the Outlaw monos is still reasonably priced.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They do have fuses to protect the power supply, but not in the signal path, only so I guess you are technically correct if you meant output fuses. I don't know if @ADTG has seen the Outlaw's schematic or block diagram that shows where the fuses are, but as long as they are not in the signal path it won't affect sound quality.
I just meant I don’t want to have to replace any fuses. Like ever. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

All the pro amps (including QSC, Crown, Yamaha) and all the EMO amps look ugly as heck to me. :D

The Outlaw Monoblock looks like a Lyngdorf amp. And at $268 per 200W-8ohm/ 300W-4ohm amp when you buy 7 amps, I think the Outlaw is pretty good.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just meant I don’t want to have to replace any fuses. Like ever. :D
In any well designed amp that has a fuse to protect its power supply, most of the time. it takes decades before needing to replace a protecting fuse.

Personally, I prefer to have to replace a fuse than having to replace an electronic device that has caught fire or caused damage to surrounding stuff including speakers.:)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/QSC/RMX850-Power-Amp-114342523.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXTm0Rzv6RFcJRbhzweq728N5TDXDvbUV_BreDAY3_pHk064r-SkLIRoCIc8QAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221075135724-device^c-plaid^382887189354-sku^114342523@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Guitar Center must have a buy-back program to support upgrades, because I picked up a similar unit about 6 months ago!
This is RMX850 (no "a") and used, but it is serious power for $130!
I don't remember what the "a" revision changed, but it wasn't something I cared about. Also I don't remember if they charge something to send it to your local store, I had mine shipped to my home.
Just cosmetic changes from what I can see.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis