New Commuter/Everyday Car

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The Mazda B4000's V6 was built in Ford's Cologne plant in Germany. It is the reason that series of trucks is still valued above $5k - change the oil regularly and that SOHC will purr for a long time. No I am not selling mine, but giving a used truck recommendation!

I agree with our other Alex, I wouldn't buy anything new. The truck serves its purpose with only occasional "keep it running" driving, and is a back up so when GF's car has had enough, all you have to do is rotate keys.

Keep your eye on the prize - more money for audio!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve been eyeing the 4Runner too. I love the look and everything, but the Durango is a surprise option. It tows more and with 360HP that thing will move. A friend of mine got one recently and I was surprised at how much I liked it.
fuzz, there's resale value to consider, in the world of small trucks / SUV's 'nothing' come close to Toyota, 5 years from now the 4Runner will be worth twice what the Dodge will fetch

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My acquaintance, a Senior Network Engineer for CDW. He's basically Cisco switching and routing architect.
Now, If I didn't tell you that, you could easily mistake him for a redneck. He loves his Ford F350 Superduty.
8k towing is all nice and cool, but F350 SuperDuty tows up to 21k lbs or 34k lbs with gooseneck mount.
I rode with him once. Felt nice enough. Plush interior (not too different from Lincoln) and fast too.
Now, I could see fuel usage is probably best not to mention.
He told me a story him renting skid steer loader to make some backyard changes and dealer rightfully doubted his ability to tow it. After all many SUVs would be falling short to haul almost 10k lbs plus the weight of a trailer. However learning his truck model, concerns were lifted.
F350 is a beast! I put over 100k on a 2002 F350 pulling a mobile lab across the country for work.

If you are going the F350 route, may as well go diesel. I'm not sure if they are all diesels or not, but the one that I drove was a turbo-charged diesel, and it was a BEAST of a truck!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
F350 is a beast! I put over 100k on a 2002 F350 pulling a mobile lab across the country for work.

If you are going the F350 route, may as well go diesel. I'm not sure if they are all diesels or not, but the one that I drove was a turbo-charged diesel, and it was a BEAST of a truck!
I don't think ford makes a gas F350, but I agree on the diesel. It seems ford finally figured out diesel motors with their 6.7l.

I personally love my Dodge with the 5.9 cummins (no EGR or DPF or exhaust fluid). I'm sitting a bit over 200k and never have to worry about towing anything. Runs like a champ.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I reread and saw Dodge Durango was listed as an option. To back someone else's comments on the Durango, it's nice but does have it's issues. Mine is a 2014. Here are my notes in it.

1. Has a turn dial auto transmission. Took me almost 2 years to adjust. Way too often I'd think it's in park and it's in drive. Gotta be very diligent about what mode the tranny is in.

2. To get fuel mileage, the transmission is in eco mode by default. Gets you good fuel mileage. Conversely, when you need to go and step on the gas, it sits there and does jack bowel movement to make sure you really wanted to expend that fuel or downshift and burn more fuel. Meanwhile you are sitting there watching traffic approaching at a high rate of speed hoping you don't die. Dodge got multiple emails about this from me.

3. The fuel door on the 2014 was designed by a moron. Push button release. Only, the hinge pin is not secured so they could safe $0.05 per car. So over time, the hinge pin on the door rides up and comes out of the bottom. Now your fuel door won't open anymore. Best solution (besides ripping the interior out to get to the door and fix it) is to jam a fast food drink straw in the door and then go back and hit the button.

4. Towing is fine. They say 6,000 lbs. I towed a Uhaul car hauler with a 1966 Mustang Coupe w/ 289 V8 from Ohio to Wisconsin. It towed fine. Fuel mileage was crap, but still 13-15 mpg. Fine for the once in a rare while heavy tow. But for regular towing, keep it to 4,000 lbs or less. I've towed lots of Uhaul box trailers with it just fine.

5. Infotainment system is nice. But they did an upgrade and that makes it harder to pick the songs off the SD car / USB drive. Also, it has a glitch where every 6 - 12 months it wipes out my radio station settings. Bastards!

Otherwise, it's been good for me. I'm over 90,000 miles on it. Best mileage was on a hard run to Washington State with it where I got 26 mpg at 75-80 mph out west. May have had some downhill mountain help at some points but you have to go up to go back down.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I reread and saw Dodge Durango was listed as an option. To back someone else's comments on the Durango, it's nice but does have it's issues. Mine is a 2014. Here are my notes in it.

1. Has a turn dial auto transmission. Took me almost 2 years to adjust. Way too often I'd think it's in park and it's in drive. Gotta be very diligent about what mode the tranny is in.

2. To get fuel mileage, the transmission is in eco mode by default. Gets you good fuel mileage. Conversely, when you need to go and step on the gas, it sits there and does jack bowel movement to make sure you really wanted to expend that fuel or downshift and burn more fuel. Meanwhile you are sitting there watching traffic approaching at a high rate of speed hoping you don't die. Dodge got multiple emails about this from me.

3. The fuel door on the 2014 was designed by a moron. Push button release. Only, the hinge pin is not secured so they could safe $0.05 per car. So over time, the hinge pin on the door rides up and comes out of the bottom. Now your fuel door won't open anymore. Best solution (besides ripping the interior out to get to the door and fix it) is to jam a fast food drink straw in the door and then go back and hit the button.

4. Towing is fine. They say 6,000 lbs. I towed a Uhaul car hauler with a 1966 Mustang Coupe w/ 289 V8 from Ohio to Wisconsin. It towed fine. Fuel mileage was crap, but still 13-15 mpg. Fine for the once in a rare while heavy tow. But for regular towing, keep it to 4,000 lbs or less. I've towed lots of Uhaul box trailers with it just fine.

5. Infotainment system is nice. But they did an upgrade and that makes it harder to pick the songs off the SD car / USB drive. Also, it has a glitch where every 6 - 12 months it wipes out my radio station settings. Bastards!

Otherwise, it's been good for me. I'm over 90,000 miles on it. Best mileage was on a hard run to Washington State with it where I got 26 mpg at 75-80 mph out west. May have had some downhill mountain help at some points but you have to go up to go back down.

It seems that on the 2015 (what mine is) they've fixed some of that stuff. Eco mode sucked so I turned it off. Still getting 20mpg in town ~25 hwy. Fuel door is stupid push button, but I haven't had any issues.

Transmission knob is dumb, but I got used to it. Not sure if they still have it or not. I don't have any issues with how the transmission works when eco is off. It actually works very well.

Other than that we've had the same experience.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Oh boy look at you. Is that an 8ft box on that dual cab? Must be loooong. Don't let the gf drive that.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh boy look at you. Is that an 8ft box on that dual cab? Must be loooong. Don't let the gf drive that.
No no, no 8ft box, but it's close lol. 6.5' bed, crew cab, that thing is like a mile long. I looked at a ton of extended cab trucks, but the backseat just wasn't going to cut it since this is replacing an SUV. I probably would have leaned towards the 5.5' bed, but after having used the 6.5' bed I think the extra utility is almost worth never fitting in a parking spot ever again.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No no, no 8ft box, but it's close lol. 6.5' bed, crew cab, that thing is like a mile long. I looked at a ton of extended cab trucks, but the backseat just wasn't going to cut it since this is replacing an SUV. I probably would have leaned towards the 5.5' bed, but after having used the 6.5' bed I think the extra utility is almost worth never fitting in a parking spot ever again.
Most often, you see people with the big/long trucks will prefer to back into parking spots. Much easier to get it back out of there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I personally prefer Ford, but that is a nice truck!
It's funny. My Dad is a Ram guy, but my cousins have always been Chevy guys. I looked at them all, but ended up liking the Chevy the most.

Most often, you see people with the big/long trucks will prefer to back into parking spots. Much easier to get it back out of there.
So far the issue has been the width of the lanes to pull or back into a spot. Many of them outside of homedepot and lowes make the lanes so narrow it takes a 6 point turn to get in the spot regardless of pulling in or backing in. :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dad has had both Ford and Chevy and currently a Cummins GMC. I don't have a preference for either, both have been good trucks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hear you on the bed, but I went with an 8' just because of the amount of wood I haul from the hardware store.

My Cummins powered Ram is also crew cab 4x4. This thing is SO heavy, but that motor makes it move quicker than you think it would.

GM has always been my preference for American gas motors. They work forever and make great power.

Nice truck!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, my dad has the Duramax. Dad went from A Ford w/Triton V8 to the Duramax GMC. I tend to prefer the Chevy V8s also. I used to have a 2500HD with the regular 5.3L, dual cab, 7ft bed and I loved it. Dad's with that turbo diesel is a lot nicer though. He picked it up to tow the boat and it almost feels like that boat isn't even back there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I hear you on the bed, but I went with an 8' just because of the amount of wood I haul from the hardware store.

My Cummins powered Ram is also crew cab 4x4. This thing is SO heavy, but that motor makes it move quicker than you think it would.

GM has always been my preference for American gas motors. They work forever and make great power.

Nice truck!
Thanks! I actually just got a bunch of 8ft sheets of ply the other day with it. My Old man has an 8ft bed on his truck and the extra foot and a half really is nice for the longer stuff, but the 8ft sheets still fit pretty well and I figure I can add a trailer for anything longer. I think I’d like a trailer anyways for certain items and possible to make the wood shop mobile someday.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis