New Commuter/Everyday Car

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I find myself in this odd place where I’m caught between multiple needs/desires in a new vehicle. Currently I have a 2013 Honda CRV and I’m pushing 87,000 miles. Bought it certified pre-owned and have taken care of it since then. However, my new job is going to make my yearly mileage skyrocket so I’m trying to figure out my next move.

I guess I could hang on to the CRV and see if I can make it to 200-250K miles, but the GF’s car is going to need replacing sooner rather than later. So that puts us in a tough spot because she’s going back to college and will only be working part time. So we could get her a new car, like an $16-20,000 Civic or something. This wouldn’t be a terrible option, except I’m going to be putting 16K miles on my vehicle in work commuting alone, so I estimate I’ll be somewhere in the 20-25K miles per year.

I could get a commuter car, high on gas mileage low on vehicle satisfaction. I should mention I live somewhat in the woods so small electric cars are not only frowned upon, but more importantly lack the utility often needed. This would leave me calling 6 people or renting a truck from HD anytime I need to do something or move something larger than a big amazon box.

I could get a truck which would provide all the utility I need, but obviously the gas would be a little painful. I’ve looked at the smaller pickups, but from what I’m seeing they’re just as expensive in many cases, but are just small enough to not comfortably fit large male humans and/or the stuff I want to put in the bed.

I could go the SUV and trailer route so I get a bit better gas mileage for the commute and then be able to hook up the trailer when I need it. The only problem I see with this is spending more on the trailer and I’m not sure the gas mileage is that much better than some of the trucks.

Anything I’m missing? I’m just bouncing around ideas at this point awash in decision paralysis.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So I find myself in this odd place where I’m caught between multiple needs/desires in a new vehicle. Currently I have a 2013 Honda CRV and I’m pushing 87,000 miles. Bought it certified pre-owned and have taken care of it since then. However, my new job is going to make my yearly mileage skyrocket so I’m trying to figure out my next move.

I guess I could hang on to the CRV and see if I can make it to 200-250K miles, but the GF’s car is going to need replacing sooner rather than later. So that puts us in a tough spot because she’s going back to college and will only be working part time. So we could get her a new car, like an $16-20,000 Civic or something. This wouldn’t be a terrible option, except I’m going to be putting 16K miles on my vehicle in work commuting alone, so I estimate I’ll be somewhere in the 20-25K miles per year.

I could get a commuter car, high on gas mileage low on vehicle satisfaction. I should mention I live somewhat in the woods so small electric cars are not only frowned upon, but more importantly lack the utility often needed. This would leave me calling 6 people or renting a truck from HD anytime I need to do something or move something larger than a big amazon box.

I could get a truck which would provide all the utility I need, but obviously the gas would be a little painful. I’ve looked at the smaller pickups, but from what I’m seeing they’re just as expensive in many cases, but are just small enough to not comfortably fit large male humans and/or the stuff I want to put in the bed.

I could go the SUV and trailer route so I get a bit better gas mileage for the commute and then be able to hook up the trailer when I need it. The only problem I see with this is spending more on the trailer and I’m not sure the gas mileage is that much better than some of the trucks.

Anything I’m missing? I’m just bouncing around ideas at this point awash in decision paralysis.
This is pretty much always the dilemma on vehicles.

Except in TX.....just get a truck!

Seriously though....if you own a house and/or property, it is just a matter of time before you NEED a truck! But, gas mileage sucks! Granted, the newer Ford V6 Ecoboost engines actually get pretty decent mileage and have pretty decent power too. For a truck, you can also look into camper shells to make it more like a SUV when you need it, or a bed cover (be sure to get the sliding/retracting type of bed cover for when you need to more a fridge, etc). An added benefit is that camper shells and bed covers can actually give you a little better gas mileage on a truck.

I'm kind of in the same position, will be needing a new vehicle in the not too distant future, my 2002 Mustang that I bought new has almost 200k miles on it.

I'm really leaning towards an F150 or a 4Runner.

The best solution is really to have a truck and a grocery getter too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My vote for car which could do lots is for obvious reasons is Subaru Outback. While I would not call 3.6L engine economical, the basic 2.5 is decent with fuel economy, but lacks acceleration.
Outback rear storage is 35.5 ft3 or with rear seats down 73.3ft.
All Subaru's come with AWD standard and Subaru definitely knows how to do AWD. Starting from 2015 it also comes with Torque vectoring. Also one of highest ground clearance.
The drawback in outback is hauling capacity is very limited.
Another option could be Honda CR-V has similar cargo capacity and a bit swifter (0-60 7.6s vs 9s). I don't need to tell you about Japanese cars reliability and keeping their value. AWD is optional on CR-V.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I could be wrong, but I think the size F150, even with the eco boost, is only getting around 1-2mpg better than the GMC’s and Chevy’s with the V8. I definitely need Crew cab and 4WD which are definitely gas mileage killers.

I’ve been eyeing the 4Runner too. I love the look and everything, but the Durango is a surprise option. It tows more and with 360HP that thing will move. A friend of mine got one recently and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

I ran the numbers on getting two cars and I’m not sure it makes fiscal sense with how often I’d need to change vehicles. My commuter car is going to be good for 5-7 years at best if I want to get maximum trade in value on it so that puts me in a tough spot as far as up front costs go.

This is pretty much always the dilemma on vehicles.

Except in TX.....just get a truck!

Seriously though....if you own a house and/or property, it is just a matter of time before you NEED a truck! But, gas mileage sucks! Granted, the newer Ford V6 Ecoboost engines actually get pretty decent mileage and have pretty decent power too. For a truck, you can also look into camper shells to make it more like a SUV when you need it, or a bed cover (be sure to get the sliding/retracting type of bed cover for when you need to more a fridge, etc). An added benefit is that camper shells and bed covers can actually give you a little better gas mileage on a truck.

I'm kind of in the same position, will be needing a new vehicle in the not too distant future, my 2002 Mustang that I bought new has almost 200k miles on it.

I'm really leaning towards an F150 or a 4Runner.

The best solution is really to have a truck and a grocery getter too.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve looked hard at the Subies and I really like them. My cousins GF has a Crosstek and loves it and he likes it too.

The biggest sticking point for both with me is the towing capacity. I’d get another CRV in a heartbeat if it could tow more. I’m still rolling around the idea of an outback, but I’m worried about it towing the size trailer I’d be looking at if I went that route. Both are great options and if I didn’t need to haul stuff the Outback would be high on my shortlist.

My vote for car which could do lots is for obvious reasons is Subaru Outback. While I would not call 3.6L engine economical, the basic 2.5 is decent with fuel economy, but lacks acceleration.
Outback rear storage is 35.5 ft3 or with rear seats down 73.3ft.
All Subaru's come with AWD standard and Subaru definitely knows how to do AWD. Starting from 2015 it also comes with Torque vectoring. Also one of highest ground clearance.
The drawback in outback is hauling capacity is very limited.
Another option could be Honda CR-V has similar cargo capacity and a bit swifter (0-60 7.6s vs 9s). I don't need to tell you about Japanese cars reliability and keeping their value. AWD is optional on CR-V.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Consider selling/gifting the CRV to the girlfriend. One less bill is good.
How far into the woods are you? Are all the roads paved? If some the roads are not paved, do you want to pay 30, 40, 50,000 on a new vehicle?
If you're putting 25,000 miles a year on a vehicle, you may want to get a Corolla, Civic, or something similar for reliability and mileage. You should be able to find a lower mileage used car under $15,000.00.
Then buy a trailer for the GF's CRV when you need to move something.
You should be able to find a reasonably priced heavy duty trailer or someone that is willing to trade a trailer for some audio equipment.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=479115689&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=SUB&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=SUB&searchRadius=25

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=474467086&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=COROL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467597656&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=COROL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=478333255&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=HYUND&modelCode1=SONATA

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve looked hard at the Subies and I really like them. My cousins GF has a Crosstek and loves it and he likes it too.

The biggest sticking point for both with me is the towing capacity. I’d get another CRV in a heartbeat if it could tow more. I’m still rolling around the idea of an outback, but I’m worried about it towing the size trailer I’d be looking at if I went that route. Both are great options and if I didn’t need to haul stuff the Outback would be high on my shortlist.
Outback towing capacity is 2700lbs vs CR-V's 1500 lbs. Not sure what kind of towing capacity you're looking for?
Edit: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder towing cap is 6000 lbs
[strike]4Runner is similar at 5k lbs[/strike]
Edit2: 2018 Toyota Tacoma would probably be better choice than 4runner. Better mileage and more practical for hauling stuff.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I had thought about that. Still an option I suppose, but with the CRV’s 1500lb tow capacity that leaves me a little short.

Consider selling/gifting the CRV to the girlfriend. One less bill is good.
How far into the woods are you? Are all the roads paved? If some the roads are not paved, do you want to pay 30, 40, 50,000 on a new vehicle?
If you're putting 25,000 miles a year on a vehicle, you may want to get a Corolla, Civic, or something similar for reliability and mileage. You should be able to find a lower mileage used car under $15,000.00.
Then buy a trailer for the GF's CRV when you need to move something.
You should be able to find a reasonably priced heavy duty trailer or someone that is willing to trade a trailer for some audio equipment.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=479115689&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=SUB&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=SUB&searchRadius=25

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=474467086&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=COROL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467597656&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=COROL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=478333255&zip=12477&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=12477&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&driveGroup=FWD%2CAWD4WD&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=18000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=HYUND&modelCode1=SONATA

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Outback towing capacity is 2700lbs vs CR-V's 1500 lbs. Not sure what kind of towing capacity you're looking for?
Edit: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder towing cap is 6000 lbs
4Runner is similar at 5k lbs
That’s why I was looking at the Durango. 7000lb towing, and I figured the max towing capacity I’d need would be around 5-6000lbs. My uncle has a big dump trailer that would be nice to be able to tow when I need it and that thing is pretty heavy by itself.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Alex, I would gift the CRV to the GF as has been mentioned already. Then, I figured this would be right up your alley literally speaking:

The red looks stunning to me! :):):) But hey, just in case you need to get to work in a hurry.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Alex, I would gift the CRV to the GF as has been mentioned already. Then, I figured this would be right up your alley literally speaking:

The red looks stunning to me! :):):) But hey, just in case you need to get to work in a hurry.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
LOL Somewhow I don’t think my drivers license would apprecite something like that

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like a wrinkle may have developed. Ford Ranger is coming out as a 2019 model. Official specs aren’t out, but rumors look like 300HP and Ford is claiming segment leading towing which would put it around 7000-8000 lbs

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Keep the CRV and get an older truck. That way when the girl's car sh!ts the bed, you're covered.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Tough call and lots of "I would like..."

Truthfully, you may want to get a nice used Subaru for you or the GF. They are good in bad conditions and good on fuel mileage. Then drop some money (cash) on a used pickup that is good enough to haul what you want, but not be a daily driver. But the truck can also serve as a backup vehicle in case one takes a crap. Personally, I'd keep the CRV and one of you drives it till it dies somewhere 150,000 miles down the road or later. It's paid for after all...

New is nice, but you lose so much depreciation in the first 2-3 years. Heck, you can get into a nice used Porsche Cayenne for $25-35k.

If you like to mess with your GF, show her a picture of a used full size van and explain how it has a beefed up suspension for...no, better not. Most women don't appreciate the lack of subtlety in an old fashioned crude joke that uses the terms "...trip to Poundtown."

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Subaru's WRX and STI lack of depreciation is staggering and near shocking. Check out prices on used WRXes and you'd be shocked too. I looked at these first, but quickly decided in favor of something cheaper, like 2013 Infiniti Q37x - decent ones go for around 15k

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Durango (wifey's car, love it) and a Diesel Ram. Hell would freeze over before I put 7k behind my Durango. The engine and transmission aren't the issue, the rear suspension is. It would sag VERY low if you put that kind of weight behind it.

If you need to tow, get something designed to tow. That would be a truck 99% of the time. Some larger SUVs can tow well, but with your commute the mileage would kill you.

If you only need to tow around 3k then a Durango would do just fine. I have the V6 in mine and get ~25 MPG highway if I'm driving nice.

If I were wanting something to drive to death like you are I'd go Toyota all day. Drive-train issues just aren't there for them for the most part. Mileage should be pretty good too. My mom has a Highlander and it is very very nice, but it sagged pretty good when we hooked up a car hauler with a 3k lb car on it. Had to flip her hitch over to raise it up enough that the trailer wouldn't scrape the ground.

As to why they got a drop hitch for it is another discussion...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Duh....get a new GF that has a nice new car and enough money that you can get a 4x4 Tundra with a 4 inch lift...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My acquaintance, a Senior Network Engineer for CDW. He's basically Cisco switching and routing architect.
Now, If I didn't tell you that, you could easily mistake him for a redneck. He loves his Ford F350 Superduty.
8k towing is all nice and cool, but F350 SuperDuty tows up to 21k lbs or 34k lbs with gooseneck mount.
I rode with him once. Felt nice enough. Plush interior (not too different from Lincoln) and fast too.
Now, I could see fuel usage is probably best not to mention.
He told me a story him renting skid steer loader to make some backyard changes and dealer rightfully doubted his ability to tow it. After all many SUVs would be falling short to haul almost 10k lbs plus the weight of a trailer. However learning his truck model, concerns were lifted.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis