MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Why would WTMMTW win over WM(vertical TT)MW? Again, he says that it might be perceived as additional spaciousness, but I don't see this winning over the vertical tweeters... His own measurements showed the significant adverse measurable effects of the comb filtering... So how could this be better?
I wouldn't have a clue what they are thinking. What would you think of the 2 tweeters placed diagonally in the middle instead of a direct vertical arrangement of the tweets?

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
MinusTheBear said:
So I take it the comb filtering issues will be audible and have a negative impact on performance?
In my experience trying the VP150 (not the VP180 though I suspect some crossover) in three different rooms the greatest factor was room/seating layout followed by listener pickiness.

In the first room I used the VP150 in about 12x16 sitting about 6-8 feet from the center it sounded ok but didn’t match the M80s very well. It caused male voices to sound hollow and tinny. Off axis didn’t change anything in that room and there was no lobbing I could detect with program material. OTOH with a test tones the lobbing was very noticeable.

In the second room a 10x10 bedroom sitting about 5 feet from the center the VP150 sounded fine, matching perfectly with the M22s I used there as mains. No tonal problems or lobbing at all.

In the third room 13x21 sitting about 15 feet from the center it was the worst sounding speaker I’ve ever heard in my life. On (and off) axis it again caused male voices to sound hollow and tinny. Off axis the lobbing was so bad that the different SPL levels at each of my ears was disorienting throwing my equilibrium off balance. Also, when sitting off axis the VP150 exhibited a beaming effect. It sounded like the speaker was at the end of a deep tunnel and all I was hearing was what was wrapping around the corners of the tunnel and coming off to the side.

Note that in the two rooms where the VP150 exhibited problems when I realigned the VP150 vertically the “beaming” effect, lobbing and male voice tonal anomaly disappeared. However, it still didn’t match the M80s very well IMO, which is why back in the first room I just ordered a 3rd M80 to use as a center instead.

Note that my experience with the VP150 is in the minority. Few people have reported the sonic anomalies I have. However, now that the VP180 had come out many people who previously remained quite are now coming forward and saying that they never did think the VP150 matched the M80s very well.

As for the dual vertical tweeters on the M80 I’ve never heard anything specifically anomalous with them. The M80s do however exhibit a vertical tonal variance if sitting close enough to them (about 5 feet or less) and I move my ears up and down past the level of the various drivers (requires sitting on the floor or elevating the speakers). In which case the driver pair on at ear level dominates the presentation. Sitting with ears anywhere from just below the tweeters to any height above them or farther away than about 5 feet does not cause this.

Note that I am not an Axiom basher. I own 10 Axioms speakers, 3xM80s, 2xM22s, 4xQS8s, 1xEP500 with 2xQS8s and 2xM2s on order and love all of them. The VP150 got traded in because IMO (based on extensive testing not theory) it sucked. YMMV, just my $.02 and all of that.

Cheers,
Dean

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Midwesthonky said:
In a dedicated home theater room with proper sound panels, I may not be so pleased. For those guys who have such an arrangement and a finicky ear, I suspect the VP180 is not the right approach for them. I also suspect the type/genre of movie that is mostly played will also have an effect on the perceived performance. Those woofers will probably make a good impression for action/adventure movies.

Does anyone run type speaker setups that they change depending on the movie genre?
When I was trying out various center channel configurations, single M80, single M22, dual M22s over/under the screen, dual M22s laying horizontally above the screen I did notice that the horizontal configuration sounded very good for movies and concert DVDs. The “wall-of-sound” effect produced by that long an array of drivers gave a much more “movie-theater” like presentation. OTOH I didn’t like it at all for most music (except live concerts recordings) because it made the vocalist and instruments sound 4-5 feet wide ruining the front soundstage imagining.

For a while I did have my vertical M80 and dual M22s above the screen wired with a switch and used the M80s for music and the dual horizontal M22s for movies. Depending on further reviews of the VP180 I am considering trying one out as a center mounted on a swivel so I can have I alighted vertically for music and horizontally for movies. However, based on the poor performance of the VP150 in this room I’m thinking the V180 will have the same or at least similar problems.

Cheers,
Dean

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I don't think you understand quite well the notion of comb filtering. Here's what seems to be a fairly good explanation with some examples, http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/572305.html
I understand the theory perfectly well.

What I am saying, and as Axiom stated, is that in the real world a speaker array is not a perfect point source, your ears are not a single point microphone, and your room is not reflectionless. The combination of all that should smooth the response. So, while your examples are pretty, they don't represent the complex reality that is audio engineering. I'm sure multiple drivers create some issues, but could they also create some advantages? The Axiom article is the only place I've heard someone present advantages for multiple tweeters on a center.

We can't really sample a bunch of speakers since he's building the front wall of the theater pretty soon and the center will need to fit. If it is the VP180 it's a very different requirement than a VP150. The VP180 is rear ported and HUGE. The VP150 lacks ports and there is an in cabinet version. That makes the front stage of the theater very different.

GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
I understand the theory perfectly well.

What I am saying, and as Axiom stated, is that in the real world a speaker array is not a perfect point source, your ears are not a single point microphone, and your room is not reflectionless. The combination of all that should smooth the response. So, while your examples are pretty, they don't represent the complex reality that is audio engineering.
The point you're missing is that even though you're correct when you say that external factors will have an influence, you should always strive for the speakers to be as accurate as possible. Even if there's room reflections which will create some issues, it doesn't mean that you should use a poor design because hey, there's room reflections so in the end, the issues which this poor center design will create will happen in your room anyhow... Even if there's issues out of the control of the speaker designer, that doesn't mean that the speaker designer shouldn't aim to make speakers as best as they can. Comb filtering will create serious FR issues for listeners out of axis, that's a fact... So why use a design which will have severe comb filtering issues then?

I'm sure multiple drivers create some issues, but could they also create some advantages?
I guess they could... Like I said, efficiency, max output, etc... But just take your statement, you're sure they create some issues, issues which have been measured, and you say that they could create some advantages... You have a definite negative, and unknown, theoretical, maybe non-existing, irrelevant/inaudible advantages... Unless you know exactly what the advantages are and can weigh them vs disadvantages, then you shouldn't go for a design with known issues because you think that there could be some advantages...

The Axiom article is the only place I've heard someone present advantages for multiple tweeters on a center.
And what were they? He claims that it's not as bad as most think, but the only advantage he mentions is "at worst, it's irrelevant, at best it actually adds a pleasurable element of spaciousness to stereo". That's it...

And even if it's true that it adds 'spaciousness', so would creating a big null at 1khz, so are we to consider this better than a flat FR? And even, his article makes absolutely no sense in many ways:
The cancellations (dips) are what the single measurement microphone "hears" and measures using a full-frequency test sweep when the signals from the two M2 speakers don't perfectly overlap. This seems like an acoustic effect that may be potentially nasty in nature and should be avoided. These are pronounced cancellations, yet when we play music or speech over a pair of M2 speakers, we don't hear these comb filtering effects. Why is that?
Well there you go... The bolded part is exactly why you want to avoid using a driver configuration like on their center... He claims that we don't hear it... Huh, look how nasty that measurement is, I seriously doubt it's not audible... No matter how the brain deals with duplicated delayed sounds, issue here is the cancellation/reinforcement, and as he said, it's quite " potentially nasty in nature and should be avoided."

Note that in the two rooms where the VP150 exhibited problems when I realigned the VP150 vertically the “beaming” effect, lobbing and male voice tonal anomaly disappeared. However, it still didn’t match the M80s very well IMO, which is why back in the first room I just ordered a 3rd M80 to use as a center instead.

Note that my experience with the VP150 is in the minority. Few people have reported the sonic anomalies I have. However, now that the VP180 had come out many people who previously remained quite are now coming forward and saying that they never did think the VP150 matched the M80s very well.
That's the thing, even if most people don't notice issues, or the issues are not apparent in all rooms, it's a bad idea to start off with a flawed design which will have evident issues. It's also ridiculous to dismiss those issues by saying people won't/can't hear them... Really, it really seems hugely close minded, like the ostrich putting its head in the sand thinking that when it does, all its problems go away...

If you understand comb filtering, then you (autoboy) should realize that their center designs are horrid (ok bit too strong, that they have issues... Well one at least, comb filtering...) because they will invariably create comb filtering issues... It's as simple as that. You can try to dismiss it, and say that they're not that important, but they're there, none the less... And most importantly, putting two tweeters vertically, if two tweeters are so important in the design, would yield the same benefits that two tweeters provide (SPL, sensitivity, etc.), with far less comb filtering issues. It really seems like a no brainer to me...

Have you notice that there's no off-axis measurements for their VP180 center? I certainly did... There's none for the VP150 either. That says a lot.

What would you think of the 2 tweeters placed diagonally in the middle instead of a direct vertical arrangement of the tweets?
It would seem 50% better than horizontal, but 50% worst than vertical... The worst comb filtering would be at like 45 degrees now, so it could be marginally better for those sitting off axis, might create issues with the mids, I don't know, wouldn't make much more sense to me... Energy has a center similar to this: http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/rc-lcr-overview/

I'd have preferred to see it vertically, but in that case, they would have needed to make the center quite a bit bigger to fit that driver configuration W(vertical MTM)W, so as a compromise, they put it diagonally, but I don't think it's such a great idea... They say:
An Energy exclusive diagonal tweeter/midrange design that disperses sound identically in both planes.
And in one sense it's true, 90 degree up, down, left, right, will have the same response. The issue is 45 degrees top right and bottom left, and top left and bottom right. One will be like an horizontal vs vertical MTM, meaning that one will have very little comb filtering and the other will have big issues with it...

So again, for a center placed horizontally, you want comb filtering issues to happen vertically (2 tweeters, or tweeter + mid placed vertically), and not horizontally (TT or TM placed horizontally). Going diagonal doesn't fix the issues, might be a compromise, but it has its own sets of issues, should definitely try to avoid it if you can...

Btw, 2 vertical tweeters would still create comb filtering issues with the two mids on both sides... So it might not be as good as a single vertical TM... But, I don't know... Still should be better than WTMMTW imho... Might just require steeper crossovers... Or maybe it really doesn't work (because of mids on their side creating comb filtering) and Axiom's centers end up working better... No idea, but any way, obvious comb filtering issues on that VP180 center it seems to me... It would be interesting to see the off axis response.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
To simplify things GirlgeMirt, like what was stated in their article on comb filtering they think it is irrelevant to speaker design. Many would disagree. Axiom are also proponents of using 2 center channel speakers (one above, one below) like the VP150 when trying to anchor dialogue from a large projector screen. This is also considered a no, no by many because of the comb filtering issues. I swear I have read before that the owner/head engineer of Axiom uses 2 VP150's in his reference home theater system.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
To simplify things GirlgeMirt, like what was stated in their article on comb filtering they think it is irrelevant to speaker design. Many would disagree. Axiom are also proponents of using 2 center channel speakers (one above, one below) like the VP150 when trying to anchor dialogue from a large projector screen. This is also considered a no, no by many because of the comb filtering issues. I swear I have read before that the owner/head engineer of Axiom uses 2 VP150's in his reference home theater system.
It sounds like everyone is against stereo.

Maybe we should all watch movies in mono.

All of you who think comb filtering is horrible and Axiom must be insane can send their front and surround speakers to:

789 My House
My Street
My Town, CA, 95687

I will kindly dispose of them in an environmentally friendly manner.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
This is the center I am using at this time. Since I do not have much or should I say almost no knowledge of speaker behavor, how would you rate this design. To me it sounds great. Should this design work or not. I don't see many centers with multiple tweeters.http://www.sourcespeaker.com/CC-4.html

Last edited:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
To me it sounds great.
Isn't that what is important? Most of the people commenting in this thread, including me, have no speaker design experience, so other than quoting theory, can't really comment with authority.

Personally I chose dual vertical centers (bookshelves) based on theory. FWIW, in doing the vertical bobble head thing I can detect no noticeable comb filtering. Given that they are spaced about 4 feet apart theory tells me that I should have vertical comb filtering through a much wider range than the VP180 so it should be much more noticeable.

Either:
1. I have lead ears
2. comb filtering is not as serious a problem as some make out (at least not in my room).

Take your pick.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Isn't that what is important? Most of the people commenting in this thread, including me, have no speaker design experience, so other than quoting theory, can't really comment with authority.

Personally I chose dual vertical centers (bookshelves) based on theory. FWIW, in doing the vertical bobble head thing I can detect no noticeable comb filtering. Given that they are spaced about 4 feet apart theory tells me that I should have vertical comb filtering through a much wider range than the VP180 so it should be much more noticeable.

I went from 7.2 back to 5.1. These http://www.sourcespeaker.com/LS26.html where my rear surrounds. Now if I would use the as dual centers how would you set these up?
That's how I had them setup before, facing up, for my rear surrounds.

Last edited:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
From the pics you posted on photobucket, it does not look like you have room to vertically place them above and below the display. You can try one above and one below the display oriented horizontally to see if you get any improvement over your current center.

Are these speakers matched to the mains? Is there something in particular you are trying to improve on over your current setup?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
From the pics you posted on photobucket, it does not look like you have room to vertically place them above and below the display. You can try one above and one below the display oriented horizontally to see if you get any improvement over your current center.

Are these speakers matched to the mains? Is there something in particular you are trying to improve on over your current setup?
I was thinking how I could but these speakers to good use. Alex stopped by an recalibrated by system this week, he did seem impressed with this center speaker, especially since it has 3 tweeters. I did mount mount them on top and bottom before and it sounded good (maybe a little dominating) since I do give them 350 watts each and I do like to run my system at around 0 db. I am starting to learn a little about a calibated system. My thing was always high power, chest pouding bass till the paint comes of the walls, but I am finding out that not what it's all about. Could dual centers be properly calibrated?

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Sure, you can properly calibrate dual centers.

The advantage of a dual center is that it anchors dialog to the screen for movies. I have seen it posted on a number of occasions where people had issues with the dialog being a little low or high on the screen (single center above or below the screen). It is not always an issue though.

I sometimes wonder how it affects the soundstage for music, but have not found the time to play.

GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
This is the center I am using at this time. Since I do not have much or should I say almost no knowledge of speaker behavor, how would you rate this design. To me it sounds great. Should this design work or not. I don't see many centers with multiple tweeters.http://www.sourcespeaker.com/CC-4.html

Vertical tweeter configuration, like I've been saying the Axiom center should have been using :) Looks much better to me than having the tweeters horizontally, that's for sure...

Now if it's good/bad... You'd need to take some measurements, the distance between tweeters/woofers all have an effect, and just by looking at an image like that, I really couldn't tell you either way... Definitely not knowledgeable enough... Guess, they're very close to each other, so probably fairly good. But, like I've been saying, the comb filtering (bad) of the tweeters, will be worst vertically (good) instead of horizontally (bad).

Ex of discussion: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/101601-tweeters-line-array.html further than I usually go ...

Last edited:
A

autoboy

Audioholic
We went with the Axiom VP180. When everything gets set up, I'll try to bring my M60 over to his house to compare what it would sound like with 3 matching speakers across the front. Mine are v2, his m60s are v3. But, I want to get to the bottom of this lobbing issue, at least in his room.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Has anyone here had a chance to listen to this speaker? I would be really curious to hear what you think.

J

jcmccorm

Audioholic Intern
Oh sure, *now* I see this thread about how much the VP150 bites, right after I just ordered a pair of M22's and a VP150. :)

No worries, I'm sure it'll be fine. Once it arrives and I get it set up, if I don't like it, I can send it back (nice return policy they have there). This is a bedroom system. The seating is "captive" and centered. The VP150 will be mounted atop the display and tilted down. I bet it will be just fine.

Cary

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I have had the 150 for quite some time now. Its a decent center and should match with the M22's just fine. I have M22's in my bedroom and absolutely love them. In fact, I am in love with all my Axiom speakers other than the 150. I just "Really like" that one. I would like to upgrade it which is why I am hoping to hear some impressions on the bohemouth that is the VP180

A

asere

Audioholic
I realize this thread is old but giving it a shot at resurrecting. What are your thoughts on the vp180 v3?
I'm planning on buying one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I realize this thread is old but giving it a shot at resurrecting. What are your thoughts on the vp180 v3?
I'm planning on buying one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Terrible center speaker design, just bad, especially for $1k. Do not walk away from those speakers, run away from them. It crazy to have tweeters spaced apart like that, it creates a lobing nightmare.

If you want a vastly better center for less money, look at the Paradigm Premier center speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis