A

asere

Audioholic
Terrible center speaker design, just bad, especially for $1k. Do not walk away from those speakers, run away from them. It crazy to have tweeters spaced apart like that, it creates a lobing nightmare.

If you want a vastly better center for less money, look at the Paradigm Premier center speakers.
That bad? Man I was planning on replacing my SVS Prime center with it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

A

asere

Audioholic
That would be a significant downgrade.
Wow really? The vp180 is huge. I thought it would yield clearer vocals without having to go so loud? My SVS Prime center is puny next to it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow really? The vp180 is huge. I thought it would yield clearer vocals without having to go so loud? My SVS Prime center is puny next to it.

The VP180 has fundamental design problems. It might have a dynamic range advantage, but it will definitely not have clearer vocals at any loudness level. The Prime center should yield clear vocals without needing to be loud. This makes me think you might have a setup issue. Make sure that the center speaker is not in a congested area. If you are running the system with some kind of automated EQ calibration, turn it off. Make sure the center speaker is aimed right at the listening position. Also make sure you don't have big reflective surfaces along the line of sight of the center, such as a big coffee table. Make sure the bass isn't too hot; loud bass can mask midrange sound, and that can really hurt dialogue intelligibility.

A

asere

Audioholic
The VP180 has fundamental design problems. It might have a dynamic range advantage, but it will definitely not have clearer vocals at any loudness level. The Prime center should yield clear vocals without needing to be loud. This makes me think you might have a setup issue. Make sure that the center speaker is not in a congested area. If you are running the system with some kind of automated EQ calibration, turn it off. Make sure the center speaker is aimed right at the listening position. Also make sure you don't have big reflective surfaces along the line of sight of the center, such as a big coffee table. Make sure the bass isn't too hot; loud bass can mask midrange sound, and that can really hurt dialogue intelligibility.
My SVS center dialog is clear. I just thought the vp180 would be clearer though before you told me this.
I do notice that with Audyssey Dynamic Eq engaged it drowns the dialog some.

A

asere

Audioholic
Terrible center speaker design, just bad, especially for $1k. Do not walk away from those speakers, run away from them. It crazy to have tweeters spaced apart like that, it creates a lobing nightmare.

If you want a vastly better center for less money, look at the Paradigm Premier center speakers.
Which Paradigm Premier would you recommend that's an upgrade from the SVS Prime?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Which Paradigm Premier would you recommend that's an upgrade from the SVS Prime?

I don't know that the Paradigm Premier center would be better than the SVS Prime but my guess that it probably is, although the Prime isn't likely to be bad. The premier centers are very good center speakers. The 600C will have more bass capability but if you cross the center over at 80 Hz or higher, that doesn't do you much good, and you might as well go for the 500C. What are your left/right fronts?

A

asere

Audioholic
I don't know that the Paradigm Premier center would be better than the SVS Prime but my guess that it probably is, although the Prime isn't likely to be bad. The premier centers are very good center speakers. The 600C will have more bass capability but if you cross the center over at 80 Hz or higher, that doesn't do you much good, and you might as well go for the 500C. What are your left/right fronts?
My L R is SVS Prime towers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My L R is SVS Prime towers.

If it were me, I would just stick with the Prime center, unless there were some noticeable shortcoming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis