mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Naw, I was thinking about that guy in that white house?
.....well, then that's a different situation....the guy in The White House can't even read speeches with BIG letters on his script lying right in front of him, but, if you make over 200,000 annually, individually, he got you some special tax-cuts....anybody qualify for the special tax-cuts here?....Mtry, thanks for settin' me up, and what's this thread about?....oh, yeah, a new amp for your system....yes, indeed, a truly joyous event....I've hugged both the UPS and FedUp guys after they lugged the boxes to the door....and no, I ain't funny that way, I didn't kiss 'em, haha........

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
.....well, then that's a different situation....the guy in The White House can't even read speeches with BIG letters on his script lying right in front of him, but, if you make over 200,000 annually, individually, he got you some special tax-cuts....anybody qualify for the special tax-cuts here?....Mtry, thanks for settin' me up, and what's this thread about?....oh, yeah, a new amp for your system....yes, indeed, a truly joyous event....I've hugged both the UPS and FedUp guys after they lugged the boxes to the door....and no, I ain't funny that way, I didn't kiss 'em, haha........

You're too much. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow, my side is aching so much. Must be something I read or ate. LOL:D

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
amplified-the way two go

indcrimdefense said:
frankf,

having experimented with my system, and after several lengthy demos, adding a quality amp to a system will make a difference, and one that is worthwhile in my opinion. i have zero experience with yamaha receivers, other than a 20 min. listening session w/ the new 2600 this weekend. i have had 4 demo amps in & out of my system this year, as well as various other components, in a search for better sound. my system: denon 2805, klipsch RF-7 front & RF-5 rear, denon 2910 (for SACD & DVDA), cary audio DVD6 (for redbook cd & dvd). adding the cary DVD6 made a marked difference for redbook cd when using analog connections. it's not quite SACD, but for quality recordings its damn close, and while it's not a DVDA player, it also does a great job of playing those as well.

amps in order of preference: 1) cary audio cinema 5, 2) krell showcase 5, 3) B&K ref 125.2, and 4) rotel 1080. have also had a 2+ hour demo session w/ aragon pre/pro & i think a 3000 series amp with a set of RF-7. good, but not as good as the cary audio gear or the krell amp.

adding an amp can be an improvement, but the real improvement in sound quality was dropping the receiver and going to an amp & pre/pro, demo pre/pro i had was a cary cinema 6 and a rotel stereo pre-amp. after hearing the cary amp & pre/pro combo, using my denon receiver as a pre/pro w/ an amp simply does not produce the same sound quality as the cary combo. i really wish my receiver alone sounded that good, so i could quit spending money. but it doesn't, so i continue to search. however, i do like the receiver as a pre/pro using an amp better than the receiver alone, whether using a 2 channel amp to power the fronts & receiver powers the rears of using a multi-channel amp & using receiver as only a pre/pro. it's not a question of sheer volume, but of the quality of sound achieved using an amplifier. this is NOT to say that simply adding an amp will make your system sound better. the denon 2805/rotel 1080 combo did not sound better than the 2805 alone, but this may have been due to an amp that was not broke in. the 2805 paired w/ the B&K amp has a nice sound. best sound quality using receiver as pre/pro was w/ the krell amp, it did sound better than the cary amp w/ the receiver. however, it was not as good as the cary combo of amp & pre/pro.

from experience, find a dealer who is willing to allow you to demo whatever your considering purchasing. take it home & listen, from there your wallet will tell you what to do. if you don't like what you hear, you won't buy it. for real fun, get demos from several dealers at the same time & compare & contrast. this allowed me to quickly eliminate the rotel as an option, as i had the cary equipment at the same time. having 3 demo systems in your home at one time may start to cause the wife or significant other to look at you very funny, but when they could "care less" about your equipment (other than what your spending), and then out of the blue look at you and ask for you to go back to the other system because it sounded better, then your getting somewhere. i have also found that friends who could care less about stereo/home theater to be quite useful when they look at you and say "why does this not sound as good as what was on a couple of minutes ago." almost all of time i agreed with their opinions. different audio components can sound different from one another, even at the same power ratings, or whatever other specifications you want to look at. unless your much wealthier than i am, your not going to buy a component that doesn't enhance the sound quality of your system. if you can't hear a difference, or if it actually sounds worse, then don't buy it.
thanks for the advice and good idea with the demos.
this week i have been to two stores listening to speakers as well as the rotel and anthem amps. i also made sure my speakers were at the right angle of the dangle and even used an spl meter from my friendly radio shack. everything checked and double checked with a little help from my friends.
my thoughts are that i am going to make two changes.
first - replace my definitive bp1.2x speakers with the bpx
second - in conjunction with my yamaha 3300 i am going going to purchase a new amp 200 watts per channel
i am ordering the outlaw amplifier with a 30 day money back guarantee. the rotel is to pricey and the anthem just does not cut it. the rotel and outlaw spec are very close with the outlaw just a little better.
plus i spoke to a gentleman by the name of scott and he said "if you don't like it or find something better within 30 days send it back and we will refund your money". can't ask for more than that.
asking for demos in the area where i live are unheard of. you have almost commit yourself to buying the piece first.
my thoughts about this are that i have a feww extra bucks and i want to get the max out of my system. bottom line is to me there is no real problem i just like mixing things up a bit. having a few extra dollars is letting me have the fun i enjoy.
thanks for the input.

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
amps

mulester7 said:
.....you guys in the hole with Mtry don't understand the concepts here....you continue to defend your receivers, and that ain't where it's at....we're not talking louder, we're talking cleaner....try serious watts RMS on the front three, or continue to walk on in darkness....let's all take note....no one, has taken me up on the shipping back on slave power.....
now thats what i am talking about! jack! i deceided to, after listening and tweeking and measuring and repeating these steps over again that i am going to do two things.
1- purchase a 200 watt per channel amplifier rotel,cary, or outlaw
2- replace my bp1.2x speakers with the bpx
sound crazy, well maybe. but you know what they say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".
besides what is one more piece of equipment!

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
report back

frankf

don't forget to report back to us on your experiences with the new equipment. I would recommend inserting the new amp in your system first to make listening evaluations, followed by the new speakers a little later. That way you will be able to pin down the differences they each make. Have fun!

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
fun is what it is!

eirepaul said:
frankf

don't forget to report back to us on your experiences with the new equipment. I would recommend inserting the new amp in your system first to make listening evaluations, followed by the new speakers a little later. That way you will be able to pin down the differences they each make. Have fun!
it will take some time before i can give you all the final results,but you can place a bet on it that i will get back to you when those results are in.i will be ordering the outlaw amp on friday and i am going to an home theater & audio store on friday as well.good idea about the speakers. your idea makes good sense.i would not have thought about that until after. another i should have!
thanks again and now i am going to my home theater room to watch "masters and commander"

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
frankf said:
it will take some time before i can give you all the final results,but you can place a bet on it that i will get back to you when those results are in.i will be ordering the outlaw amp on friday and i am going to an home theater & audio store on friday as well.good idea about the speakers. your idea makes good sense.i would not have thought about that until after. another i should have!
thanks again and now i am going to my home theater room to watch "masters and commander"
.....Frank, that was a Grandiose suggestion by Eirepaul....try the amps first, and you might keep the present speakers......

W

Wrk_hrd2Play_hr

Audioholic Intern
My personal experience

Several months ago I posted a similar question where I asked whether my setup would benefit from the addition of an Anthem MCA series amp. Just as this thread has, that one turned into a pissing content from folks from both camps (the Mulester vs. Mtrycrafts kind...if you know what I mean).

Well....I finally did pull the plug and added a 250w Parasound Halo A51 amp to my Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver. Here is a link to my OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.....biasis and technical BS aside. You be the judge.

Studio 100s + Parasound amp

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Wrk_hrd2Play_hr said:
Several months ago I posted a similar question where I asked whether my setup would benefit from the addition of an Anthem MCA series amp. Just as this thread has, that one turned into a pissing content from folks from both camps (the Mulester vs. Mtrycrafts kind...if you know what I mean).

Well....I finally did pull the plug and added a 250w Parasound Halo A51 amp to my Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver. Here is a link to my OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.....biasis and technical BS aside. You be the judge.

Studio 100s + Parasound amp
.....Wrk_hrd2Play_hr, I apologize if you think I'm trying to whiz further than MtryCrafts....I have only posted in defense of....I feel like this point over amps was the reason I registered back in April....over 1300 posts later, I've elevated from Bose, I'm upholding "clean" RMS Watts-Continuous as on a quest, holding the banners of Audioholics.com high in the air with honor, workin' these counters to the point of slingin' snot, and still a spambot, small letter....probably best not to change it though, might mess me up....but that decision rests in Clint's able hands.....oh, WorkHardToPlayHard, (shore easier to type), which post is yours over there?....what is your handle over there in deserter-land?....did ya' trash the amp?.......

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Well....I finally did pull the plug and added a 250w Parasound Halo A51 amp to my Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver. Here is a link to my OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.....biasis and technical BS aside. You be the judge. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=609829
Mule: 1
Marty: 0

Nice amp purchase BTW. For those who aren't familiar with the awesome Studio 100's, here's the specs:

Drivers
1" Dome
7" Poly Midrange
3-7" Poly Bass Drivers "woofers"

Sensitivity -- Room / Anechoic (by some not a "power hungry" speaker)
91 dB / 88 dB

Suitable Amplifier Power Range
15 – 350 watts

Maximum Input Power
210 watts**

Impedance
Compatible with 8 ohms

I'm (and always have been) in Mule's corner regarding added amplification - especially with towers such as Polk's RTi/LSi series, as well as all Paradigm towers. 89-91dB Sensitivity IMO has never been an efficient speaker. But then again, I'm from the era of 97dB + 3 ways (you always went with a 12" woofer) when subwoofers and HT hadn't hit their mark.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I just hooked up my Studio 100's a week age to a Denon 5803, and could not be happier. I purchased them predominantly for movies, but I just listened to some Eric Clapton, followed by Mannheim Steamroller, and my room was filled with accurate, enveloping sound. I occasionally found myself looking over my shoulder for the drummer or the sax player. Next stop...some Robert Cray (to try out the servo 15). I'm obviously a fan.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"Suffice to say, the addition of the Parasound Halo amp (driven by the 4600) has really addressed two of my prior concerns – low end extension (or lack thereof) and brightness. The single biggest difference was how much stronger the low end of the 100s became after the addition of the Halo. Additionally, because of the improved bottom end, the sound became a lot more “balanced” and the harshness a lot more tamed. To be frank, I don’t think the amp reduced the perceived harshness or “warmed” the sound, but rather brought up the low-end and improved the overall tonal balance of the speakers, to where they no longer felt harsh."

"Another significant difference between the 4600 and the 4600+A51 was when I turned up the 4600 (with an external amp) to pretty high levels, the low-end was not able to keep up and the sound got harsher as I went up the dial. The Halo, without a doubt, addressed this issue.

"I can now play the 100s at very loud levels with solid low-end extension and without any worry of them being unduly stressed."

" I have also observed the movement of the low end drivers and notice that they are a lot more controlled."

W

Wrk_hrd2Play_hr

Audioholic Intern
Typo I've since corrected in my original post.

"Another significant difference between the 4600 and the 4600+A51 was when I turned up the 4600 (without an external amp) to pretty high levels, the low-end was not able to keep up and the sound got harsher as I went up the dial. The Halo, without a doubt, addressed this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
Just what the heck does that mean.:confused: :confused:
Work hard to play hard: Several months ago I posted a similar question where I asked whether my setup would benefit from the addition of an Anthem MCA series amp. Just as this thread has, that one turned into a pissing content from folks from both camps (the Mulester vs. Mtrycrafts kind...if you know what I mean).

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....let's see....controlling the speaker elements better, cleaner, authority in the low-end especially, and you suddenly find out the authority extends to the highest cymbal or bell.....yep....WorkHardToPlayHard, that surround receiver pushing the other speakers getting more harsh the louder they got was increasing distortion.....DTulouseStreet, did you ever find the damping factor rating of the Earthquake 3 channel amp?.....112 signal noise at 1k....111 at 5k....110 at 10k....with 95 db seperation, and THD's having two 0's before every one....with the highest being .006....boys, that's plumbed stout.....

.....edit....that wasn't enough recognition for 95 db seperation, and the worst variance for transparency, and non-color, as the signal moved through the entire unit, was one-tenth of one decibel....+/- .1 db--20 to 20k.....I believe that rating was at 20 to 20k, I remember it was .1 for sure.....what?....ok, I'll come clean....I got a check from Earthquake to push this....only wish.....killer product....but.....there's nothing crisper than high damping factor.....yeah, I know, I've looked at the decay-charts, but all I know for sure, is what I've heard....and that's all I can use to report......boys, let the three-ways go if surround is your thing....elevated 2-way floorstanders with just barely elevated 2-way rears and surrounds, with subs, the 10 inch voice is best, and you stand to have a decent system, Sir....warning....I am only confidently vocal as per experience....and with me, that's usually just enough to be dangerous.....sometimes....on rare occassion.....I suspect the real estate values of land right on the gulf, have transcended to a "we'll pay you" situation....not too hot lately on demand, I suspect.....youse?......

Last edited:
T

tdeluce

Audioholic
mulester7 said:
.....let's see....controlling the speaker elements better, cleaner, authority in the low-end especially, and you suddenly find out the authority extends to the highest cymbal or bell.....yep....WorkHardToPlayHard, that surround receiver pushing the other speakers getting more harsh the louder they got was increasing distortion.....DTulouseStreet, did you ever find the damping factor rating of the Earthquake 3 channel amp?.....112 signal noise at 1k....111 at 5k....110 at 10k....with 95 db seperation, and THD's having two 0's before every one....with the highest being .006....boys, that's plumbed stout.....

.....edit....that wasn't enough recognition for 95 db seperation, and the worst variance for transparency, and non-color, as the signal moved through the entire unit, was one-tenth of one decibel....+/- .1 db--20 to 20k.....I believe that rating was at 20 to 20k, I remember it was .1 for sure.....what?....ok, I'll come clean....I got a check from Earthquake to push this....only wish.....killer product....but.....there's nothing crisper than high damping factor.....yeah, I know, I've looked at the decay-charts, but all I know for sure, is what I've heard....and that's all I can use to report......boys, let the three-ways go if surround is your thing....elevated 2-way floorstanders with just barely elevated 2-way rears and surrounds, with subs, the 10 inch voice is best, and you stand to have a decent system, Sir....warning....I am only confidently vocal as per experience....and with me, that's usually just enough to be dangerous.....sometimes....on rare occassion.....I suspect the real estate values of land right on the gulf, have transcended to a "we'll pay you" situation....not too hot lately on demand, I suspect.....youse?......
Having a hard time making out exactly what you are saying BUT:

The SNR on my unit was tested to be 116.9 to 117.1 db for each channel.
Don't have the damping spec...

Widescreen mag reviewer claims best amp they ever reviewed under $4,000
in issue #46 ( which of course was a few years ago ).

Here are some other reviews for the five channel version ( same chassis but
two more monoblocks ):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/earthquake-cinenova-grande-power-amplifier-10-2004.html

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cineova.htm

http://www.earthquakesound.com/clint_walker.htm

Seems to sound better than the Outllaws to me even at regular listening
levels. Fuller, richer, more dimensional...

War of the Worlds at reference level - well, this AMP definitely is MUCHO better. Un-frig'in-believable!!!

Its a keeper :)

At $1399 it is a steal. I believe they are releasing a new model with
XLR inputs so someone is blowing out the old stock cheap ( although
mine was assembled / tested on 11/07/05 ).

This AMP rocks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis