never ending bass management!

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I have a Yamaha rxa3070 with external amps to run bp 2000 with built in subs, Have dual subwoofers set up in addition . the mains sound better run at large as one could imagine but that means I have to run receiver in extra bass mode to get bass to subs in two channel listening, my question is just what frequency is being sent to subs? they have no built in crossover.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Yamaha rxa3070 with external amps to run bp 2000 with built in subs, Have dual subwoofers set up in addition . the mains sound better run at large as one could imagine but that means I have to run receiver in extra bass mode to get bass to subs in two channel listening, my question is just what frequency is being sent to subs? they have no built in crossover.
What you set it at in the speaker set up menu.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
thanks for the reply, I have front channel to large so I get no option for subs crossover.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for the reply, I have front channel to large so I get no option for subs crossover.
That's funny.

A lot of people use subwoofers even when they have large/full-range speakers.

I would think that if you specify you are using subwoofers (regardless of speaker size), then the AVR should allow you to set the XO.

Is there an option to include the use of subwoofers in the AVR when you set the speakers to Large?

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
yes , its set to use subs, just no option for low pass. I like to use subs in addition to full range mains to even out response and to get higher SPLs out of bass. thanks for the input.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
More questions than answers but here goes.... Percentage music vs theater use? Those towers either are hooked up to LFE or not? What subs are you incorporating and how are they set up and what is the volume in cubic feet of the space including any open rooms?
Hopefully to start answering your question a bit, it would hopefully be the entire lower frequency but not sure. I think Gene mentions his sub and tower setup in the Yamaha 5100 review video.
Be aware that enabling extra bass will definitely boost the 50hz to 80hz on the mains. Possibly more than that is going on...

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
probably 60%music, LFE is going to subs, cubic ft is around 1360 opens into similar size room off back, I'm using pair turbo sounds 18" sound reinforcement subs from AKG fed by pair of carver TFM 55 set up in bridged mono. thank you!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have a rxa1050 and mine does the same as OP. What frequency IS LFE? I use a SVS PB 2000 does the sub amp control it then?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
yes , its set to use subs, just no option for low pass.
I have a rxa1050 and mine does the same as OP.
With Denon/Marantz, you can set the XO for any speaker (even large) as long as the Subwoofer Configuration is set to YES.

You can even set different XO for different speakers (Front L/R to 80Hz, Center to 100Hz, Surrounds to 120Hz) as long as the subwoofer is set to YES.

It seems strange that Yamaha doesn't allow you to set the XO when you set the Subwoofer to YES and front L/R to Large.

I assume Yamaha doesn't allow you to set the XO for individual speakers either?

Anyone else confirm this issue with other Yamaha models?

Last edited:
V

viseral audio

Audioholic
thanks for your interest, I think I should update my subs to SVS pb 16 ultra, I liked the turbo sounds because of their efficiency of 102db/watt and ability to handle spls of 130+

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha does allow you to set XO when speakers are set to small but not when set to large.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha does allow you to set XO when speakers are set to small but not when set to large.
So it seems based on your experience and the OP's, that Yamaha does NOT allow the user to set the XO if the main speakers are set to LARGE and subwoofer to YES.

Denon/Marantz allows the user to set the XO when the speakers are set to LARGE and subwoofer to YES.

What if you set the Mains to Large and the Center and Surrounds to SMALL? Will Yamaha allow you to set the XO?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess what Yamaha is trying to say is, "If your speakers are LARGE, then they must be able to play down to 20Hz. Thus, you don't need to set any XO." :D :D

Or actually the message is, "Please just let your subwoofers do all the hard work and just set your speakers to SMALL already for the love of gods!" :D

Last edited:
V

viseral audio

Audioholic
your 100% but I don't want to just play to 20hz, I want it to hit your chest and suck the life out of you!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Yes speakers set to small can be adjusted but those set to large cannot. My BMRs go down to 37 so I set them to small with XO at 40. That way I can set the sub to on but all I listen is TV and streaming music with very little, if anything, under 40.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes speakers set to small can be adjusted but those set to large cannot. My BMRs go down to 37 so I set them to small with XO at 40.
When I owned Revel Salon2, I set them to small and XO to 100Hz because I wanted my subwoofers to play. :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Changed the BMRs to 60Hz. We will see how that sounds.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
NICE Saturday here seems you aren’t the only one without a life ; ).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Changed the BMRs to 60Hz. We will see how that sounds.
I think the question is, do you think your speakers can play better bass than your big subwoofers? :D

Or do you even want your speakers to be stressed out playing the hard-hitting, gut-wrenching bass? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis