never ending bass management!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
yes , its set to use subs, just no option for low pass. I like to use subs in addition to full range mains to even out response and to get higher SPLs out of bass. thanks for the input.
I guess you will have to ditch the Yamaha and go with Denon/Marantz.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well avoiding setting mains to small and receiver crossover and also avoiding high pass and old school crossover methods with the subs, if sides are small then set Yamaha 3070 to 11 ch music dsp and the bass from sides goes to sub LFE and any other LFE such as his BP2000 towers...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes speakers set to small can be adjusted but those set to large cannot. My BMRs go down to 37 so I set them to small with XO at 40. That way I can set the sub to on but all I listen is TV and streaming music with very little, if anything, under 40.
You should set the xo to 50 at least. That way the roll off after the xo blends better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldnt run the mains and center as large, as dedicated subs are way more capable than DTs built powered woofers FWIW...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldnt run the mains and center as large, as dedicated subs are way more capable than DTs built powered woofers FWIW...
Agreed. But he said he preferred to keep them as large.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
WORK, what’s that? I’m retired FINALLY.
That's when the alarm wakes your butts up at 5:30AM and have to do things that you would rather not do because you would rather be at home enjoying your HT system! :eek: :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. But he said he preferred to keep them as large.
That's when Yamaha says, "I don't care if you like them large because you're getting them small!" :eek: :D

Damn, I really hate working on the weekends. :(

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
I think the yammys have a setting called extra bass that lets the mains run full range along with the sub..... I think.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
This subject made me think what genre of music, except dance, has bass in the 40 to 20hz range, as well as what sort of subs are out there today which can deliver that range without the volume setting on amp set at a level too high for the enjoyment of anything other than the bass in the music?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This subject made me think what genre of music, except dance, has bass in the 40 to 20hz range, as well as what sort of subs are out there today which can deliver that range without the volume setting on amp set at a level too high for the enjoyment of anything other than the bass in the music?
That holds true which is why most dont try to run speakers full range (and most dont truly have full range). For music one can employ one of direct modes if they want to run full range for music and use a crossover for HT.

I think if the OP would try it in the manor described, he would be happier.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I really want to thank everybody for their reply, in the end I'm looking for bass thats not bloated and boomy but has tremendous dynamic range and impact that just makes you want to listen all day.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I really want to thank everybody for their reply, in the end I'm looking for bass thats not bloated and boomy but has tremendous dynamic range and impact that just makes you want to listen all day.
I am not sure about the latest YPAO version but Audyssey XT32 does work, it may not be perfect or as good as the latest greatest such as Dirac live but it works to minimize bloated and boomy bass. It is easy to compare by turning it on and off, as well as by plotting your own graphs using REW.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would call Yamaha and try to find out the frequency range sent when using the extra bass feature. Back in the day the Yamahas just passed 90hz low pass but it was called bass both instead of extra bass. The review here on Bass Mgmt pictures a A3030 and says 50hz to 80hz is boosted so you may need to verify it with Yamaha or trust it.
If Yamaha support doesn’t know you could search thru tons of owners threads on AVS forum or post there.
If you want a pure solution you could imagine this is a 2ch setup with no bass management and use the sub to set the crossover but you are using LFE... Others would know more than me about this old school approach...
Practical solution is use the extra bass and tune the sub to your liking or on the fly. Or like I mentioned use 11 ch stereo dsp and make sure side speakers are set small and use that for LFE to forward to your mains via the LFE in on your BP2000 towers.
Creative outside the box idea would be to use either the scene or global settings to store a setup that tricks the 11 ch stereo dsp setting by using sides as small like above however not actually using the sides physically. Ya I’m reaching a bit here. :)
Honest assessment is the built in sub approach at Def Tech was the most successful in their center channels where you are putting the sub inside the center at mid wall. You are compromising to put subs in the left right instead of mid wall or in a corner of a room...
Curious the history of how you assembled the system and if only the 3070 is new? Good luck! :)

https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/utilizing-extra-bass

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis