Netflix Already Facing Hard Times while AT&T, Disney and Comcast Want to Kill it

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
It's been a rough summer so far for Netflix. The company experienced its first ever loss in domestic subscribers in the second quarter of 2019 and only reached about half of its projected gains in the international market. Meanwhile, everyone's favorite streaming service is losing some of its most popular shows due to the coming competition from some of the biggest media companies in the world. Is this the beginning of an inevitable end to Netflix? Maybe. But the company's founder and CEO, Reed Hastings is no stranger to risky deficit spending, and the company has one asset that not even the media giants can match ⁠— over a decade of detailed analytics on your viewing data.

Read the full article:
AT&T, Comcast and Disney Prepare to Destroy Netflix
Netflix.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think Netflix is doing itself any favors going woke on top of everything else...

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I don't think Netflix is doing itself any favors going woke on top of everything else...
I think "wokeness" in media is going to have usefulness for a limited time because it's free publicity. But it'll wear out, someday we'll look back on it, when the majority starts seeing it as the exploitative marketing tactic that it really is.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Another good article, Wayde. I do hope that Netflix comes out on top, I much prefer their original content to that of any of the Disney-owned franchises. As far as I am concerned, the best stuff to come from Marvel was produced by Netflix with a couple exceptions.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another good article, Wayde. I do hope that Netflix comes out on top, I much prefer their original content to that of any of the Disney-owned franchises. As far as I am concerned, the best stuff to come from Marvel was produced by Netflix with a couple exceptions.
I agree. I have Netflix and have been happy with the service. I think they knocked Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1) out of the park. I'm beginning to see the influence of the culture war in some of their newer content now tho (to be fair, they're not the only ones) and it turns me off.

I'd like to see them succeed and not be buried by these huge companies, but... let's see what they do with The Witcher. I am really looking forward to this series as I'm very familiar with the source material, which is heavily based in Polish mythology. It's one of the reasons I'm maintaining my sub. If there are themes or situations forced into it for the sake of wokedness that have nothing to do with the source I'm not gonna be a happy camper. As of right now I think it's looking pretty good. Henry Cavill is a good casting choice for the part of Geralt and the trailers I've seen are promising.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think "wokeness" in media is going to have usefulness for a limited time because it's free publicity. But it'll wear out, someday we'll look back on it, when the majority starts seeing it as the exploitative marketing tactic that it really is.
Generally agree with this. It's useful for moving the conversation forward, which is absolutely necessary! Do I mind a Female 007, regardless of race? No. And I didn't mind the Woke-Bot from Solo, either. :) The sad part is our society still largely abides by the same set of rules that minimizes/marginalizes the role of any non-white-male...
A Copernican styled paradigm shift for our society is long overdue: just as Geocentrism died, so too should the way we value other humans. When we, as a whole, learn to stop celebrating our differences and begin to celebrate ourselves for our similarities, we will find ourselves much better off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. I have Netflix and have been happy with the service. I think they knocked Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1) out of the park. I'm beginning to see the influence of the culture war in some of their newer content now tho (to be fair, they're not the only ones) and it turns me off.

I'd like to see them succeed and not be buried by these huge companies, but... let's see what they do with The Witcher. I am really looking forward to this series as I'm very familiar with the source material, which is heavily based in Polish mythology. It's one of the reasons I'm maintaining my sub. If there are themes or situations forced into it for the sake of wokedness that have nothing to do with the source I'm not gonna be a happy camper. As of right now I think it's looking pretty good. Henry Cavill is a good casting choice for the part of Geralt and the trailers I've seen are promising.
Isn't the Jessica Jones series a "woke" one from the get-go?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Isn't the Jessica Jones series a "woke" one from the get-go?
If it was, it didn't feel shoehorned in, forced or out of place with exaggerated situations. Same with Luke Cage. I read comics. One of the things I like about the mcu and Marvel Netflix series is they stay pretty true to the source material.

If JJ was woke, then she was written that way and they did her character justice. At least the first season...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it was, it didn't feel shoehorned in, forced or out of place with exaggerated situations. Same with Luke Cage. I read comics. One of the things I like about the mcu and Marvel Netflix series is they stay pretty true to the source material.

If JJ was woke, then she was written that way and they did her character justice. At least the first season...
So Stan Lee was before his time? :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A product of his time, tho I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with Jessica Jones. She debuted in 2001...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I don't really follow it but seem to remember Stan was somewhat "woke" in any case.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Blah. I like Katee Sackoff and was really looking forward to Another Life. Disappointment of the year. The overdone-to-the-extreme Wokeness might have been palatable if they didn't mess everything else up too, but since they did it sure didn't help. I sure hope they don't mess up the Witcher like that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I don't really follow it but seem to remember Stan was somewhat "woke" in any case.
I think he was a proponent of equality for women and minorities, but a lot of his original stuff is really dated. When he first created the X-Men Jean Grey was little more than your typical damsel in distress for the boys to save, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also hope Netflix weathers this along with Amazon Prime....it would take something extraordinary for me to bother again with ATT (just cut off D*) let alone Disney....

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I can see Disney making the punisher rated t for teen or pg13 lol.Godi hope not..

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I also hope Netflix weathers this along with Amazon Prime....it would take something extraordinary for me to bother again with ATT (just cut off D*) let alone Disney....
Me too. I've had Netflix since they were renting DVD's. I'm a Prime member too. I cut the cable a while ago and they're both staples of mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If Netflix dies (which I doubt), it will be a sad day for my wife and daughters...... and a lot of people.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Me too. I've had Netflix since they were renting DVD's. I'm a Prime member too. I cut the cable a while ago and they're both staples of mine.
Yep started with discs over 20 years ago (and still have a 3 disc bluray plan on top of streaming).

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I haven't had cable for 5 years now hope netflixs does make it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis