Enthusiast
i am a newbie in the world of Audiophile. My current set up is following
Denon x6300h 11.2 channel received
Front speakers: Klipsch RF7ii
Center speakers: Klipsch RC 64 ii
Sorround speakers: Klipsch RS 62 ii
Back speakers: Klipsch RB 81ii
Ceiling speakers: Klipsch cdt 5800 c ii

I am feeling that my receiver is not able to drive my speaker set up efficiently as I feel that the front speakers are robbing most of the power, stirving the back and sorround channels.

I am looking for a dedicated 200w power amplifier with either 3 or 5 channel support to drive my front speakers better so that my receiver can only take care of the sorround, back and atmos channels.

Can you suggest me a better power amplifier that will work with my receiver?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I suspect that this AVR with those speakers is fine, unless you happen to be in a very large room and like ear-bleeding levels.

Is their a particular reason you think you need a new amp? What is it about the sound that is lacking or needs improvement?

Do you have a sub-woofer.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
Yep I have two subs
Klipsch R112SW 12 inch 600 w subwoofers

My HT room is in top of large 3 car garage, so it is kind of a moderate to large size room.

My problem is, I feel that most of the sound is coming from the front 3 channels with occasional sounds from the sorround and back. I am trying to see if adding a dedicated amp for the front three speaker will free up more wattage for the sorround or not.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
what is your budget ? Emotiva XPA-5 is a relatively inexpensive 5 channel amp

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep I have two subs
Klipsch R112SW 12 inch 600 w subwoofers

My HT room is in top of large 3 car garage, so it is kind of a moderate to large size room.

My problem is, I feel that most of the sound is coming from the front 3 channels with occasional sounds from the sorround and back. I am trying to see if adding a dedicated amp for the front three speaker will free up more wattage for the sorround or not.
That seems perfectly normal to me. If you want "sound out of all the speakers equally", then perhaps you need to look at some of the DSP modes (all-channel stereo for example).

Indeed, most sounds will come from the front 3 speakers (in general). The other speakers add ambience or localized sound and effects as-needed.

I think you need to determine if your expectations are realistic before investing in an amp.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
what is your budget ? Emotiva XPA-5 is a relatively inexpensive 5 channel amp
I want to get something for 1k. I thought of Emotiva XPs 5. If that is absolute best, I will go for it. But wanted to make sure it works with Denon receiver. Also how does it effect the tone quality ?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I want to get something for 1k. I thought of Emotiva XPs 5. If that is absolute best, I will go for it. But wanted to make sure it works with Denon receiver. Also how does it effect the tone quality ?
absolute 'best', I doubt it. I have no personal experience with their stuff, just know that it gets recommended when cost is an issue. I'm more of a two channel guy, sorry.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
That seems perfectly normal to me. If you want "sound out of all the speakers equally", then perhaps you need to look at some of the DSP modes (all-channel stereo for example).

Indeed, most sounds will come from the front 3 speakers (in general). The other speakers add ambience or localized sound and effects as-needed.

I think you need to determine if your expectations are realistic before investing in an amp.
Let me clarify my expectation a little. Kindly let me know if this makes sense. I am seeing some Blu-ray movie, well known for their Dolby Dts support. Say for an example Gravity or mad max, the fury road or dark knight. If someone is shooting from left/right or if a satellite is colliding iss, then I will think that sound will be coming from back or sound. But it appears that sound is little faint, in comparison to the dialogue coming from the front

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The surrounds generally do not have the same volume as the fronts, as they're more about providing ambience/effects as slippery mentioned, although that would depend on the recording/soundtrack so might depend what you're judging it on. Your amp will spread it's power around as per the speakers' needs at any given time and not starve any particular speakers.

You might try an spl calculator to get an idea of power needs for your speakers at the distances you are from them (and I'd take off a few dB on the sensitivity numbers from Klipsch as they tend to be a bit overstated). In any case you have relatively sensitive speakers.

For three and five channel amps Emotiva, ATI, Outlaw and Monoprice Monolith amps come to mind. Or you could get two two channel amps unless you prefer one box. Your Denon will work with pretty much any external amp. Personally I'd get a pair of Crown XLS1502 but they might not appeal to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Let me clarify my expectation a little. Kindly let me know if this makes sense. I am seeing some Blu-ray movie, well known for their Dolby Dts support. Say for an example Gravity or mad max, the fury road or dark knight. If someone is shooting from left/right or if a satellite is colliding iss, then I will think that sound will be coming from back or sound. But it appears that sound is little faint, in comparison to the dialogue coming from the front
Did you use Audyssey to setup levels/delays?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Perhaps the "Echo Game Scene" from House of Flying Daggers may help to determine if your expectations are realistic.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
The surrounds generally do not have the same volume as the fronts, as they're more about providing ambience/effects as slippery mentioned, although that would depend on the recording/soundtrack so might depend what you're judging it on. Your amp will spread it's power around as per the speakers' needs at any given time and not starve any particular speakers.

You might try an spl calculator to get an idea of power needs for your speakers at the distances you are from them (and I'd take off a few dB on the sensitivity numbers from Klipsch as they tend to be a bit overstated). In any case you have relatively sensitive speakers.

For three and five channel amps Emotiva, ATI, Outlaw and Monoprice Monolith amps come to mind. Or you could get two two channel amps unless you prefer one box. Your Denon will work with pretty much any external amp. Personally I'd get a pair of Crown XLS1502 but they might not appeal to you.
Crown looks like a good option. I will check it out

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I don't use auto setup of any kind, including Audyssey - are you not able to adjust the levels of the surround speakers manually after Audyssey has been run?

You can get free SPL meter apps on phones, you might try running the built in speaker matching noise generator in setup to confirm your surround channels are playing at the same level as the fronts.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did you use Audyssey to setup levels/delays?
This is my question too.
My interpretation of the original question is not a question of more power, but more a question of setup, and maybe expectation.(he did say he’s a noob) As stated most of the soundtracks information will come from the front,(happen to be watching B vs S dawn of justice atm, and every speaker is busy so not always true) but since he has an atmos system, I’m feeling like something is off a little bit here. I’d like to see the room, and see that placement, and setup is correct.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, the receiver came with Audessy and I have used it
Okay you "have used it", but did you run the setup process following the instructions to the letter? If so, please post the settings including the distances, levels of each speaker and subwoofers, as well as the crossovers so we help you identify any potential issues.

You may in fact need an external amplifier but there may also be other reasons why you may not be getting enough sound from the surround speakers.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
Okay you "have used it", but did you run the setup process following the instructions to the letter? If so, please post the settings including the distances, levels of each speaker and subwoofers, as well as the crossovers so we help you identify any potential issues.

You may in fact need an external amplifier but there may also be other reasons why you may not be getting enough sound from the surround speakers.
I have followed the on screen direction to the core. Can some one guide on how can export the settings from audessey ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis