Need some suggestion on power amplifiers

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
All of this just reminds me of why I do not like surround sound. I know this is not helping the OP's problem. Peace and goodwill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have followed the on screen direction to the core. Can some one guide on how can export the settings from audessey ?
You mean save your Audyssey settings in your computer? Or export them to share here? If the latter most just take screen shots/photos and post those (or list the parameter/values). If the former the instructions are in the manual.

By following on-screen direction you mean the GUI from the avr, that still doesn't tell us how you positioned the mic (with a tripod, mic boom, sitting on a pillow or chairback?), where you put the mic (did you start at your primary listening position at ear level) or where/how many other positions you used, etc. There are some huge threads on the nuances of setting up Audyssey, just using the on-screen GUI leaves a lot on the table...

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
CD65F67D-0009-4A86-82C6-C2FCE153F1AC.jpeg
04630CDD-6F72-4280-B504-FBCC27F05D4A.jpeg
7D5FF6A4-DF52-4AA3-9E1D-41F25F560463.jpeg
3957EB24-A78D-47AC-B780-3CC37184DF52.jpeg
CD65F67D-0009-4A86-82C6-C2FCE153F1AC.jpeg
I am attaching the configurations from Audessey calibrator

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
I used the AVR GUI. Used total 8 positions. Three positions on the sofa at sitting ear height position and then then 3 in the floor in front of the primary sitting positions still mainting the ear height and then 2 more position at the back of the couch. I think it is pretty standard

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
Btw my sitting position little offcentric. While sitting in the primary sitting position, looking at the screen, my right wall is nearer than the wall on my left

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used the AVR GUI. Used total 8 positions. Three positions on the sofa at sitting ear height position and then then 3 in the floor in front of the primary sitting positions still mainting the ear height and then 2 more position at the back of the couch. I think it is pretty standard
Your mic position number 1 was your favored seat? Is it roughly in the middle of most of the used seats? You took measurements on the floor but maintained the same ear level as the seats? Mic was pointing up and you used a tripod or ?

I'd change your L/R to small and start with a crossover of 80hz on all speakers....

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
Yes, number one position is at the middle of the couch. When I put that in front of the clinch on the floor I extended the tube to maintain same height as on the clinch. Mic upright in all position. Used a paper cylinder that came with avr to position mic

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just checked out the manual for that mic stand they provided...interesting. Rather than use actual seats I just use a circle around the main seating position fwiw.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
105 db is the target peak volume for reference listening levels at the seating position.

Your speakers are 97 db 2.83 v/ 1 meter listed as 8 ohm so that would be 97 db per 1 watt at 1 meter

The right surround is 9.7 feet which is basically -6 db. That would leave you with 91db per 1 watt to hit reference levels at your listening position with your furthest surround you only need 25 watts. This means you probably don't have an amp problem, but possibly a placement or calibration one.

R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
105 db is the target peak volume for reference listening levels at the seating position.

Your speakers are 97 db 2.83 v/ 1 meter listed as 8 ohm so that would be 97 db per 1 watt at 1 meter

The right surround is 9.7 feet which is basically -6 db. That would leave you with 91db per 1 watt to hit reference levels at your listening position with your furthest surround you only need 25 watts. This means you probably don't have an amp problem, but possibly a placement or calibration one.
You got me there. It appears like it will take more than using audessey to do auto calibration. My knowledge is so limited that I am scared to touch anything. What would be the most non intrusive way to tweak the calibration? Can I get any professional help

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You got me there. It appears like it will take more than using audessey to do auto calibration. My knowledge is so limited that I am scared to touch anything. What would be the most non intrusive way to tweak the calibration? Can I get any professional help
If you know how to navigate the menu system, I would change all speakers to small, and set the crossovers to 80hz. That is a pretty common baseline, and actually where a lot of systems stay. See how that sounds to you. I would leave the distances even if the physical distances are different. The reason why, is Audyssey sees the room acoustically, not visually so if it sets a distance different than the physical measurement that’s how Audyssey hears it due to room interactions. This can be variations in ceiling height, or furniture placement etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could use the Audyssey App that enables a bit of manipulation of the Audyssey results.

What would you change/adjust about the audio at this point? If you simply want to increase levels in the surrounds you could go into the manual speaker setup and do that (and the speakers to small and 80hz crossovers as suggested).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is one reason why Audyssey has so much bad reviews. It took me hours to finally get good results as confirmed by my in room frequency/phase response plots using REW. It would have been quicker if I did not do the plots but then I most likely wouldn't end up with the best possible results, but just reasonable results.

Based on the screen shots, I suggest you run Audyssey again and pay attention to the following:

1. For position 1, put your mic in your actual listening position, not in the middle of your couch.
2. Ear height is fine but if the couch back is on the high side, you have to put the mic several inches above the highest point of the couch back.
3. Keep the distance between each mic positions shorter, say 12 to 18 inches.
4. Make sure all your subwoofers filters are defeated/disabled/bypassed or if that cannot be done set any low pass filters to the maximum/highest, the phase to 0 degree and PEQ (if any) disabled/or minimum if cannot be disabled.
5. Try turning the subwoofers volume a little lower. The AVR-X6300H screen during the first step should let you know if the level is acceptable, mine shows green when it is, but be sure to set it so that it just turn green, doesn't need to be steady green. Your sub level now is -7.5 so it is okay but from my experience that is still too high, I would keep it within the range of -1 to -3 or if you like your bass hot, -3 to -5.

You don't need professional help, you just need to follow instructions and fine tune the steps listed above and/or other tips experienced users posted on forums such as the hometheatershack and possible avsforum. Professional help is only good if you are sure you have the right person.

After you run it again, please post the settings and we can go from there.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you know how to navigate the menu system, I would change all speakers to small, and set the crossovers to 80hz. That is a pretty common baseline, and actually where a lot of systems stay. See how that sounds to you. I would leave the distances even if the physical distances are different. The reason why, is Audyssey sees the room acoustically, not visually so if it sets a distance different than the physical measurement that’s how Audyssey hears it due to room interactions. This can be variations in ceiling height, or furniture placement etc.
I agree, but I would like him to re-run Audyssey first, and then do those things you and HD mentioned, and then some...

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I want to get something for 1k. I thought of Emotiva XPs 5. If that is absolute best, I will go for it. But wanted to make sure it works with Denon receiver. Also how does it effect the tone quality ?
I have a XPA-5 1st gen, although it is a nice amp and very dynamic, at normal listening volume levels there is virtually no difference in sound between the XPA-5, and my AVR. But with that said when I do crank up the volume say pass the half way say about the 1 to 2 o clock, abour umm..-12 to -10 bd, reference levels yeah there is a difference. But other than listening that loud all the time no my AVR would drive my surrounds and front 3 very nicely, I just wanted more power key word being 'wanted' :D. But you are getting solid advice from the old timers in here, guys are pretty sharp man most of, if not all of them have been there done that sort of thing with
add on amps.;)

Last edited:
R

Roy1976

Enthusiast
I did rerun the Audessey and sound quality is little better. However I have a different problem now. With legitimate atmos content and even after selecting Dolby Atmos as the audio encoding type in the Blu-ray player, my movie sound option of my Denon receiver does not show atmos as an option. It only shows Dolby sarround/ multi channel in. I used to get an option as Dolby Atmos / Dolby sorround before. This new setup now has changed something that is not showing the atmos option any more. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did rerun the Audessey and sound quality is little better. However I have a different problem now. With legitimate atmos content and even after selecting Dolby Atmos as the audio encoding type in the Blu-ray player, my movie sound option of my Denon receiver does not show atmos as an option. It only shows Dolby sarround/ multi channel in. I used to get an option as Dolby Atmos / Dolby sorround before. This new setup now has changed something that is not showing the atmos option any more. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Good to know you are getting some improvements. Regarding your Atmos issue, is it possible that you accidentally messed up your Blue ray player settings?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally if you're seeing multi-ch in on the avr I'd think you've got your bluray player set to output that way (i.e. having the player do the decoding and sending the multi-ch pcm signal to your avr), assuming your avr can apply Dolby Surround to a multi-ch signal. Look in your audio settings of your bluray player and change it to bitstream if you want the avr to do the decoding....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Generally if you're seeing multi-ch in on the avr I'd think you've got your bluray player set to output that way (i.e. having the player do the decoding and sending the multi-ch pcm signal to your avr), assuming your avr can apply Dolby Surround to a multi-ch signal. Look in your audio settings of your bluray player and change it to bitstream if you want the avr to do the decoding....
Agree, I was thinking the same. In addition, in some cases I believe one needs to disable down mixing, secondary audio etc. etc., depending on the BDP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agree, I was thinking the same. In addition, in some cases I believe one needs to disable down mixing, secondary audio etc. etc., depending on the BDP.
Yep, forgot about checking those, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis