Need some help with room gain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I didn't think there was a way maybe he meant lowering the crossovers on the front speakers that would do the same thing right?
Makes more sense but that's not exactly what he said otoh, he said "on the sub". I think I've seen an article of his where he prefers blending subs and just using the lpf on the sub but I might be thinking of someone else....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well boys you guys know I'm a bassaholic so I thought about it.... And decided...... F@$! it I'm going for the Near field effect! I'll let you know how it pans out fellas
2018-11-19 23.36.55.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I've got one at my back as well. And a transducer under my seat.
I've always wondered about those transducers are they cool do they add to the effect? Man the way you build subs I wouldn't be surprised if you had em at your back the front up high down low :) Someday I hope to get as many as you.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok fellas I'm just going to say after calibration with both subs Near field behind the couches? Here's my official review.

HOLY FRIGGIN AWESOMEBALLS BATMAN WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT BEFORE! THAT SOUNDS FRIGGIN EPIC!!!!!!!

Problem solved my bass has never sounded better my life has been made complete. It sounds and feels so good I feel like I smoked a bowl. Literally I feel high on sound right now. And I have both subs on -20 dude that's unreal. The plates don't even get warm on the amps. Man this is gonna help my subs last for a long long long time

Shady you're always saying your bass in your room when your measuring subs is right behind your chair. You sly dog you you sneaky devil all this time you got to experience what I just felt.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I LIKE NEARFIELD. o_O

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok fellas I'm just going to say after calibration with both subs Near field behind the couches? Here's my official review.

HOLY FRIGGIN AWESOMEBALLS BATMAN WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT BEFORE! THAT SOUNDS FRIGGIN EPIC!!!!!!!

Problem solved my bass has never sounded better my life has been made complete. It sounds and feels so good I feel like I smoked a bowl. Literally I feel high on sound right now. And I have both subs on -20 dude that's unreal. The plates don't even get warm on the amps. Man this is gonna help my subs last for a long long long time

Shady you're always saying your bass in your room when your measuring subs is right behind your chair. You sly dog you you sneaky devil all this time you got to experience what I just felt.

Your welcome! I don't really do it for the far greater tactile sensation though, I just do it because that is the location in my room that just happens to net the best response from a single subwoofer. The extra oomph that comes with the kind of placement is just icing on the cake though. Try listening to some dupstep or dumn'n'bass tunes with that placement with the subs running hot. Here, start with something like this.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Your welcome! I don't really do it for the far greater tactile sensation though, I just do it because that is the location in my room that just happens to net the best response from a single subwoofer. The extra oomph that comes with the kind of placement is just icing on the cake though. Try listening to some dupstep or dumn'n'bass tunes with that placement with the subs running hot. Here, start with something like this.
Will do I'll check that out!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

This looks like an ideal setup. Sweet! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've always wondered about those transducers are they cool do they add to the effect? Man the way you build subs I wouldn't be surprised if you had em at your back the front up high down low :) Someday I hope to get as many as you.
I still have subs around me in my main room, just one is behind my back. The little transducer does add a bit more, tho :) I just got a moderate one, a Clark Synthesis lower end model to try, shoulda got a couple so I can put weird faces on friends who've experienced it :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They are ready to install after I get better. I’ve got pneumonia still. It’s frustrating
Bro I can feel your pain I had walking pneumonia when I was younger that crap knocked me on my a@$! for awhile. Hope you keep getting better!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
They are ready to install after I get better. I’ve got pneumonia still. It’s frustrating
If you're not taking some, I would recommend to take a high dose of Vitamin C 4 times a day. That might help you getting rid of it faster.

I had left sided pneumonia many years ago, and it was gone within one week. I had increased my vitamin C intake at the time.

Let us know how you're doing. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you're not taking some, I would recommend to take a high dose of Vitamin C 4 times a day. That might help you getting rid of it faster.

I had left sided pneumonia many years ago, and it was gone within one week. I had increased my vitamin C intake at the time.

Let us know how you're doing. :)
I’ll try that. I did 5 days of antibiotics but still not well. Will have to go back to the dr again.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I’ll try that. I did 5 days of antibiotics but still not well. Will have to go back to the dr again.
Pneumonia may be viral and antibiotics are of no use in that situation. Antibiotics are only useful when the illness has a bacterial origin. Doctors often prescribe antibiotics when they don't know the cause of the illness.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The UMIK mics would be a terrible choice for karaoke. They have an omindirectional pickup pattern. They would constantly be getting into a feedback loop. That is the very last kind of microphone you want for that application. You need a directional cardioid mic for Karaoke. Just get something that was explicitly made for that application.
Actually that is an often repeated myth. Omni directional mics are actually the best mics for close miking of singers especially. All mics are directional at close proximity, exactly because they are proximal. Good omnis do not have the proximity effect, and all cardiods do. So actually you get a much more natural voice with an omni than a cardiod. I have been explaining this to people who should no better just about all my life. Because of the smoother response, you actually get less feedback with an omni.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Actually that is an often repeated myth. Omni directional mics are actually the best mics for close miking of singers especially. All mics are directional at close proximity, exactly because they are proximal. Good omnis do not have the proximity effect, and all cardiods do. So actually you get a much more natural voice with an omni than a cardiod. I have been explaining this to people who should no better just about all my life. Because of the smoother response, you actually get less feedback with an omni.
That sounds like you are talking about making recordings. I know that some recording engineers like to use omnis for recording vocals and instruments, however I can't believe that they would be anything other than problematic for karaoke.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Ok sorry for disappearing. I don't frequent this forum, just stop in from time to time to harass @shadyJ.

I meant that you should lower the crossover point on an individual sub, as in use its own built in LPF.

I know I know, but isn't it bad to compound multiple crossovers? Doesn't it screw up the sound? Well, not really. paralleling two 2nd order BW filters gives you a 4th order L-R filter. So we aren't talking about much different here. What it does is technically make the filter steeper, but as I said, the entire goal was to take advantage of that fact, since it changes the shape of the response. It adds group delay, but so does any higher order crossover. You can compensate for that by adjusting the delay. Make the sub farther away, or...rerun Audyssey, it will automatically compensate.

In my own system, I have it setup so the main speakers run full range. A global 150hz 2nd order LP filter is applied. I have a total of 4 subwoofers placed in various locations around the room. One is in the front left corner, one is front center, one is right front 1/3, and the other is left rear 1/3, roughly. The front two subwoofers are operating from 150hz and down. The next closest location to the listening position is crossed at 100hz 1st order. The last subwoofer is crossed at 80hz 1st order. In practice the slopes are steeper than that because of inductive losses and because of the cascading crossovers at 150hz and 100 or 80hz. This arrangement creates minimal excess group delay from the filters and provides for good integration.

So the rear most subwoofer isn't actually crossed at 80hz however. Because I wanted to get a flatter response and it had too much upper bass, I actually set the crossover at closer to 60hz and turned the level up. If you saw the response of just that sub, you would swear it was crossed at 80hz (it effectively is), but the electrical slope is much lower.

In general it is best not to focus on numbers and rather on results. A crossover point is fairly meaningless if the speakers response is not flat. The response of most speakers are not flat, even subs, which are very smooth typically, are not necessarily flat. All speakers are bandwidth limited, they all have a high pass filter. Maybe not electrically, but certainlly acoustically. Depending on the way the sub's response rolls off on the bottom can make the placement of the low pass filter as much a low pass filter as EQ.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis