Need reliable 150w+ used or new 2 channel amp

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I like Emo gear, but I don't think heir new gear represents the same kind of value that their older designs did. Their new A500 is no where near the same amp that their UPA-5 used to be (and the UPA was $100 less, IIRC).
The new Emo BAS A-x00 series renders the fan argument mute, so I think Crown is a much better value and they have decades of experience designing and building gear to be bulletproof despite tossed about and abused by musicians on tour.
I have also heard good things about QSC.

That said, aside from the expense, I do not think you would regret getting the Emotiva!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Emo is still a good value, but not quite as much as the earlier days. It happens. The pro gear was always a good deal if you can take a few quirks since they're not always entirely geared toward home use. Tradeoffs with everything. I got my XPA-5 for a good price used, my XPA-3 b-stock, and my A100 on sale so they were better values that way.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just as an example of what it means to have the experience/engineering of a company like Harman International, notice how the fans in the Emotiva are blowing air directly into the cooling fins. The air is being rammed into the pockets of the heat sink and there are no vents underneath, so at the bottom there is poor airflow. There is venting above the heat sink, but the air still does not have an ideal free flow past the fins and out of the unit!

Crown shrouds their's for maximum efficiency, so I had a tough time finding an image, but I did find one from one of their earlier entry level models (X1000) courtesy of AVS forum!

Compared to the Emo, these heat sinks are a thing of beauty. You can see how much surface area they expose to the air and how efficiently the fans pull air through the fins in laminar (instead of turbulent) flow!

You can tell that the Crown design had cooling wholly integrated in their design from the outset!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Difficult to beat a 200W x 2Ch amp from Harman for about $200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
I had high hopes for the HK PA 2400 from eBay but it turned out to be a lemon. I'm a fan of Harman and JBL (Samsung?) so I think I'll probably go for the crown

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Just reviving this...I bought the crown then used it for awhile the put the whole rig in storage until last December. I think it’s ok but I have a hard time figuring out what volume level to match the preamp with. It has a tendency to be very loud but not in a smooth way, like it’s too much power. A clear sound but not very mellow. My ascend acoustics speakers sounded great a few years back with old NAD stuff, which broke.
I bought some rca to balanced cables and it sounded WORSE. Very PA-y sounding, just not as pleasing / musical as I would like.
I feel like chucking it for a XTZ or a DIY class D YouTube special. I have a Dayton 30 watt desktop amp that I hooked it up with and kind dug it more.
So any advice?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just reviving this...I bought the crown then used it for awhile the put the whole rig in storage until last December. I think it’s ok but I have a hard time figuring out what volume level to match the preamp with. It has a tendency to be very loud but not in a smooth way, like it’s too much power. A clear sound but not very mellow. My ascend acoustics speakers sounded great a few years back with old NAD stuff, which broke.
I bought some rca to balanced cables and it sounded WORSE. Very PA-y sounding, just not as pleasing / musical as I would like.
I feel like chucking it for a XTZ or a DIY class D YouTube special. I have a Dayton 30 watt desktop amp that I hooked it up with and kind dug it more.
So any advice?
What pre-amp are you using? All these different "sounds" seem more like setup/calibration issues.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
I’m using a Harman signature AP 2500 from the early 90s. OK I give, how do I calibrate?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m using a Harman signature AP 2500 from the early 90s. OK I give, how do I calibrate?
I was thinking something more modern like an avr/pre-pro. Just a matter of setting gain appropriately for the amp in use. Where on the Crown were you setting the gain/attenuation? The input sensitivity? For that matter which Crown? Which Ascend speakers? I don't see in the 2500's specs the output voltage altho they mention voltage of 1V on a couple measurements.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
.774, cbm 170se,
What I’ve been doing is setting the volume fairly hi on the pre then using a remote volume box so I can have a remote then setting the amp gain around 2 o’clock or sometime as low as 12 noon

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
.774, cbm 170se,
What I’ve been doing is setting the volume fairly hi on the pre then using a remote volume box so I can have a remote then setting the amp gain around 2 o’clock or sometime as low as 12 noon
Did you try the 1.4V setting first? I have a set of 170SEs as well (also 200SEs and Sierra1s). Remote volume box?

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
.774 is a bit louder.
I got this line volume box with remote that is used to add remotes to vintage receivers. It’s like a pass through thing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
.774 is a bit louder.
I got this line volume box with remote that is used to add remotes to vintage receivers. It’s like a pass through thing
I wonder if the box may affect sound quality too, your signal chain is only as good as the weakest part ....never needed anything like that, tho....got a make/model for me to check out? On my old analog gear I just walk over and adjust the volume :)

Just how high is the volume on the pre set? I'd start with the 1.4V first....a little extra volume isn't all that meaningful....did you ever get the clipping light to trip with either setting with your highest volume use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
MCM CUSTOM AUDIO 50-8394 LINE... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX82KH2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I need a remote. Don’t like getting up. Wife also likes mute button
Never clipped. I don’t turn it up that load
Pre volume is at 1 o’clock
LOL that's why I use modern gear. I have many remotes :) I suspect that unit adds more potential problems with signal degradation than any differences in amps would. I'd probably put the pre-amp at 3 oclock (assuming 6 am to 6pm rotation) and start with the 1.4V setting....and adjust gain/attenuator on the Crown just to the point of clipping with the loudest material I would use (so generally around or perhaps a bit beyond reference level on a pre I can calibrate to a standard like avrs/pre-pros offer).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
MCM CUSTOM AUDIO 50-8394 LINE... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX82KH2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I need a remote. Don’t like getting up. Wife also likes mute button
Never clipped. I don’t turn it up that load
Pre volume is at 1 o’clock
Bypass the remote box to verify that it is not the source of the poor sound quality!
Maybe someone will come along with a better approach, but I would set the Crown to top volume then raise the volume on your pre (without the remote box). This will ensure that your pre is not needing to be pushed hard.
Next, I would set the Crown at 75% volume, use the pre to adjust to your listening level and see how it sounds.
Next, I would set the Crown at 50% volume, use the pre to adjust to your listening level and see how it sounds.
The reason for this is I suspect that something about your gain structure is the issue (unless it is the remote box). Trial and error will help you determine where to set things (if it is a gain structure issue).
Once you get a clean sound, then add your remote box and see if that screws things up. I assume you have to set the pre and amp to pretty high volumes so the remote box will allow it to play as loud as you might like.

Something about two of the remote box terminals being labeled "INTPUT" makes me a little worried that it may be the problem!

Edit: I was typing when LovintheHD posted. I would go with his settings first (bypassing the remote box until you get the issue straight). If that doesn't work try my trial and error to test a range of configurations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis