Need reliable 150w+ used or new 2 channel amp

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
I bought a used NAD 216..loved it, but it developed a popping noise in left channel, which I was unable to get fixed. (put in $60, and tech still couldn't fix, so I gave up)
Bought a HK PA2400, on eBay, which lasted 2 months, then keeps blowing fuses. I could get this looked at, I suppose, but I'm tired of dragging these things to the tech, and spending $$ on them.

So I'm ready to dump these, sell 'em for parts/as-is and get something else. I've had it.

What's good, at least 150w per channel, and under $500, new? I'm interested in Emotiva Basx 300, but there is a waiting list.

What about used? What's reliable/solid build?

fwiw my preamps are either a NAD 116 or HK AP2500

Let me know, thanks!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You could get 2 Behringer A500s for $400 run them bridged mono, or consider a pro amp from crown.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
What about the Behringer KM750? Any good?

I really liked way the NAD sounded, but don't want to take a chance on another used one. Would like something that will last for a few years.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What about the Behringer KM750? Any good?

I really liked way the NAD sounded, but don't want to take a chance on another used one. Would like something that will last for a few years.
Not familiar with that model. I do have the a500 in my office system. Watt for dollar is great, and the specs are very good verified by 3rd party measurements. I personally would probably get a crown pro amp if I had to make another purchase

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A300 would be what I'd hold out for. There was a lot of hype around the Behringer a500 and I wasn't all that impressed with them. Cost vs watt is always good with them, but their quality (a few years back) with this particular amp wasn't so great. Haven't tried one since.

Used - Marantz MA500 or MA6100 are 150W and the MA700 are 200W. $200 should get you a pair of the first two.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Hmm...
So what would be the big difference btwn getting a crown XLi-800 or the Emotiva Basx A300 other than size & looks and approx $200 difference? Power is power, no? (im not an electronics person btw)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The QSC RMX850a is a very reliable pro amp putting out 185 clean watts/ch at 8 ohms and 280 watts/ch for a 4 ohm load. You can get it new for $399.99 from B & H Photo or Parts-Express.
You can't kill it. It's built like a tank.
The only thing that could bother you is the cooling fan. It all depends on your sitting distance from it.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm...
So what would be the big difference btwn getting a crown XLi-800 or the Emotiva Basx A300 other than size & looks and approx $200 difference? Power is power, no? (im not an electronics person btw)
The EMO is $400 & 150WPC, the Crown (made by Harman International, same company who owned Revel, Lexicon, Mark Levinson) is about $200 & 200WPC.

So difference is that the Crown has more Power and about half the price. They will sound extremely similar when level matched (same exact volume). In regards to aesthetics, I think they are on the same level.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the Emotiva fan cooled like the XLi? I've read the XLi fans are on the quiet side, not sure if as quiet as the XLS Drivecore series, tho

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmm...
I've heard good things about crown amps, but have never owned one. Thoughts from my experience...wait on the Emo...I have an A500 5ch and a A800 multizone...the A800 is new so I can't really vouch for it yet, but the A500 is been stellar so I have good vibes with their BASX line.

If you don't want to wait (been there) the Parasound Bstock amps are maybe even better values. The 275 V2 is right on the edge of your price range....minor cosmetic blemishes but full warranty.

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Parasound-Model-275-v2-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier-B-STOCK-FULL-WARRANTY?cat=45

They buy a lot of Parasound b stock. I've done biz with those guys...quality group.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
A300 would be what I'd hold out for. There was a lot of hype around the Behringer a500 and I wasn't all that impressed with them. Cost vs watt is always good with them, but their quality (a few years back) with this particular amp wasn't so great. Haven't tried one since.
Used - Marantz MA500 or MA6100 are 150W and the MA700 are 200W. $200 should get you a pair of the first two.
Mine is 3yrs old and no issues, except its not the prettiest face plate. I have it stuffed into a small rack space and has never gotten warm. Good to know about the QC issues.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mine is 3yrs old and no issues, except its not the prettiest face plate. I have it stuffed into a small rack space and has never gotten warm. Good to know about the QC issues.
Apart from quality control issues with the Behringer products, they have a crappy service.

I had a defective DEQ2496 equalizer which I had serviced locally under warranty. It came back in the same defective state, as if the service shop hadn't done any work on it. After several emails to the Music Group which handles their after sales service, I finally received a replacement unit but it took 3 months for the damn thing to arrive!

I would never buy a Behringer product again.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've heard good things about crown amps, but have never owned one. Thoughts from my experience...wait on the Emo...I have an A500 5ch and a A800 multizone...the A800 is new so I can't really vouch for it yet, but the A500 is been stellar so I have good vibes with their BASX line.

If you don't want to wait (been there) the Parasound Bstock amps are maybe even better values. The 275 V2 is right on the edge of your price range....minor cosmetic blemishes but full warranty.

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Parasound-Model-275-v2-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier-B-STOCK-FULL-WARRANTY?cat=45

They buy a lot of Parasound b stock. I've done biz with those guys...quality group.
The OP is looking for a 2 channel amplifier with a rated power of at least 150 watts/ch. The Parasound amp which you suggest only has 90 watts/ch.

It's always preferable to have some headroom.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The OP is looking for a 2 channel amplifier with a rated power of at least 150 watts/ch. The Parasound amp which you suggest only has 90 watts/ch.

It's always preferable to have some headroom.
1st suggestion...wait for the A300...if he didn't want to wait...the Parasound...yes, less wpc, but a very stable amp.

Agree 100% on peference which is why I would wait on the A300.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is the Emotiva fan cooled like the XLi? I've read the XLi fans are on the quiet side, not sure if as quiet as the XLS Drivecore series, tho
The A300 does not have a fan. If you have a fully closed rack with an open back maybe a pro amp fan wouldn't be such a big deal. I don't like amps with fans personally, but I also have a fully enclosed rack.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The A300 does not have a fan. If you have a fully closed rack with an open back maybe a pro amp fan wouldn't be such a big deal. I don't like amps with fans personally, but I also have a fully enclosed rack.
Even with my open rack my Crown XLS amps' fans are never heard. Better deal on the Crown, too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even with my open rack my Crown XLS amps' fans are never heard. Better deal on the Crown, too.
Some of them are quiet for sure and I am OK with something that doesn't look like a common component. One of my recent Emotiva devices had a fan and I didn't know that it did. The UMC200 I think.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The A300 does not have "a fan"...it has two (just below the cooling fins)!

However, in your defense, Emotiva never uses the word fan on their website (at least not regarding this amp)!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis