Need passive filter for home speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys I’m curious as to how you stream your music off a NAS drive with Denon ?Upstairs I stream right now on my anthem AVM60 pre pro using their PlayFi App on my Ipad.
I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly , but does Denon have its own app that you can use on an IPad , or do you have to use some paid service to stream your own music ?
I’m just trying to stream my CD’s that I ripped onto a NAS drive in WAV 44.1.
Have you tried Foobar2000?

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried Foobar2000?
No idea what that is , will google .

update - when I google it they claim it’s for a windows platform. Never mind I see a version for Mac

so Denon doesn't have their own streaming App?

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Guys I’m curious as to how you stream your music off a NAS drive with Denon ?Upstairs I stream right now on my anthem AVM60 pre pro using their PlayFi App on my Ipad.
I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly , but does Denon have its own app that you can use on an IPad , or do you have to use some paid service to stream your own music ?
I’m just trying to stream my CD’s that I ripped onto a NAS drive in WAV 44.1.
IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
No idea what that is , will google .

update - when I google it they claim it’s for a windows platform. Never mind I see a version for Mac

so Denon doesn't have their own streaming App?
Do you have your rips in your Apple Music Library?

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Do you have your rips in your Apple Music Library?
No never have . I have taken all my CDs and uploaded them to a NAS drive at 44.1 WAV , as I don’t like compression if I can avoid it . I typically change the input on my Anthem avm70 to PlayFi , then open the PlayFi app on my iPad.
Cambridge also has their own dedicated App

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I was just curious as the Denon supports Airplay 2 as well as being fitted with HEOS. When rips are in an Apple Music Library or iTunes library in a Mac and any attached network storage set up as an iTunes server, the iTunes Remote app can access them and play them to a selected device or to multiple devices if Airplay 2 is supported in all devices.

If subscribing to Apple Music, rips will appear alongside selections added to the library from Apple Music that may or may not be downloaded. Albums downloaded from the service can be downloaded in their lossless or hi-res ALAC form.

The Anthem here does not support Airplay, but does support DTS-Play-Fi. I’ve used with my Onkyos. My Yamaha is fitted with MusicCast and does support Airplay. But, unlike the Onkyos, Chromecast and DTS Play-Fi are not supported so I use Airplay when sending music to all of them at once.
IMG_4778.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg

Here is an album I ripped in 16/44.1 AIFF to my Mac. It could also have been ripped in WAV. In this case, I’m using Airplay to play it from my Mac to one of my Onkyo receivers. I could also have sent it to three other receivers as well since they all support Airplay 2 and adjust their volume levels independently of each other.
IMG_4781.jpeg

As an aside, any AVR and speakers can be damaged when played beyond their limits. While Onkyos had HDMI board issues years ago, they were the first to get HDMI 2.1 ports right while Denon/Marantz and Yamaha f#%ked up their offerings. I’ve three Onkyos that work just fine and all three support DTS Play-Fi.

If getting sauced on occasion and blasting music down there, I would be careful or go with a more robust unit. I have had several Denon AVRs over several years.They are wonderful machines. They also run very hot.

More annoying than the lack of bass management on two channel units is the lack of front pre outs on lesser AVR units. The Yamaha RX-V6A actually has Front Pre Outs and, believe me, it needs them. You’ve got to go higher up on the food chain at Denon and Onkyo to get them.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
I was just curious as the Denon supports Airplay 2 as well as being fitted with HEOS. When rips are in an Apple Music Library or iTunes library in a Mac and any attached network storage set up as an iTunes server, the iTunes Remote app can access them and play them to a selected device or to multiple devices if Airplay 2 is supported in all devices.

If subscribing to Apple Music, rips will appear alongside selections added to the library from Apple Music that may or may not be downloaded. Albums downloaded from the service can be downloaded in their lossless or hi-res ALAC form.

The Anthem here does not support Airplay, but does support DTS-Play-Fi. I’ve used with my Onkyos. My Yamaha is fitted with MusicCast and does support Airplay. But, unlike the Onkyos, Chromecast and DTS Play-Fi are not supported so I use Airplay when sending music to all of them at once.
Here is an album I ripped in 16/44.1 AIFF to my Mac. It could also have been ripped in WAV. In this case, I’m using Airplay to play it from my Mac to one of my Onkyo receivers. I could also have sent it to three other receivers as well since they all support Airplay 2 and adjust their volume levels independently of each other.
As an aside, any AVR and speakers can be damaged when played beyond their limits. While Onkyos had HDMI board issues years ago, they were the first to get HDMI 2.1 ports right while Denon/Marantz and Yamaha f#%ked up their offerings. I’ve three Onkyos that work just fine and all three support DTS Play-Fi.

If getting sauced on occasion and blasting music down there, I would be careful or go with a more robust unit. I have had several Denon AVRs over several years.They are wonderful machines. They also run very hot.

More annoying than the lack of bass management on two channel units is the lack of front pre outs on lesser AVR units. The Yamaha RX-V6A actually has Front Pre Outs and, believe me, it needs them. You’ve got to go higher up on the food chain at Denon and Onkyo to get them.
I did notice the x3800H has a lot of preamp out options . If I’m spending that kind of money I would never invest in Denon though , as I’d just buy another pre pro from Anthem and be done with it .
I’m pretty much considering the Denon as a disposable unit , that’s why I’m going with their cheaper version that still gives me base management.
If I was working right now and had more disposable income , at this point I’d put my existing AVM 60 pre pro and amplifier in the gym and upgrade the home theatre to the newer Anthem pre pro and matching amp .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I hear ya'. I would have suggested an Integra/Onkyo/Pioneer model as a "disposable" unit over the Denon simply because they support DTS Play-Fi so that you would only have to use the single DTS Play-Fi app in your iPad to get music to either or both of your systems at once.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
This may sound outlandish , but just looking at all scenarios.
I really don’t have room for towers ,and unfortunately one would have to sit fairly close to the front of the subwoofer , but my other thought was to use those same paradigm slim speakers you see in the pic,but redesign and replace that shelf with a deeper one that would have the proper enclosure volume for say 2-8” midbase drivers on each side , or 6.5’s for that matter .
Build a passive crossover network so that 20hz to 600hz (just an example ) goes to the 8 inch drivers ,and the higher frequencies go to those existing speakers .
Now I’d have decent midbase and highs ,but I’d still cut the very bottom end frequencies off with the Denon receiver.
Just a thought , as regardless of buying another receiver that has a high pass filter , I’m still lacking in midbase unless I turn the subwoofers frequency up . I tried that recently and didn’t Ike the sound and prefer the subs cutoff at 80hz

you have to use your imagination a bit ,but pic below is what I’m trying to describe

Last edited:
M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Hey all I installed the Denon receiver late last night to test . I’m sure the neighbours love me .
‘The x2800s was not supposed to be here till sometime next week , and after doing some research I couldn’t justify paying double for 15 extra watts, so I ordered the x1800s through Amazon .
Funny thing is they both showed up yesterday and I was super tempted to keep the 2800. But for the price of the 2800 , if you add 300 more bucks you could get a quality receiver like the Anthem mrx 540 .
I was very close getting the Anthem 540 instead,but was concerned about complaints regarding fan noise as I’m very sensitive to fan noise so this was a deal breaker . Apparently they have updated the firmware to address the fan issue , but I’d prefer if companies could just design a receiver without fans , or at the very least just use quality fans or larger slower fans . It‘s not rocket science .

Anyways I’m really liking the control the Denon has. It’s certainly a bonus being able to change crossover points and gains as your sitting and critiquing a song again .
I just wish Denon would have better designed the remote and had it so it gave you quick access to the base and subwoofer level as Anthem did.
I do like that Denon has the volume on the right side of the remote as opposed to the left like most .
Imo the Denon does not give you that real feeling of confidence with their products , as this receiver seems like it’s a very low budget plasticy thing . But considering my Cambridge was triple the cost, I guess they have to compromise somewhere. Let’s face it , for $799 that’s an incredible deal for a receiver.
The important part is it sounds good . I’m using the Denon App for streaming . It’s pretty self explanatory and I found my NAS drive pretty quickly.
Thanks everyone for your input

Now to figure out what to do about those speakers someday. Another thread I guess

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis