Need passive filter for home speakers

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Onkyo would be bottom of my list. Onkyo got into trouble with HDMI board failures and went broke. They are now owned by Voxx/Sharp corporations. They have always been bottom feeders, and have a long way to go to develop a trustworthy track record.

I would say most members here are either with Sound United, under the Marantz/Denon banner, or Yamaha, with a few Sony owners.

Sony seem to be good value, but for some reason are relatively a small player in the receiver market.

The big problem is that AV receivers are problematic devices, but in your situation you don't have much alternative.

I would still say that Marantz Denon and Yamaha are your safest options, as long as you avoid the cheaper Yamaha offerings.

I personally have never used receivers, but AVPs and separate amps, but for your use that is not a realistic option at this time.
Good to know thank you for the info . I actually had a marantz 5.1 pre pro and their amplifier years ago . I’m kicking myself for selling it , as it would have worked very nicely in this situation. Overkill for sure , but srs I hated those port holes and thought it was a strange design .
I don’t know anything about Onkyo , but my friend is pushing it because that’s what they sell . He is more of a fan of the Pioneer Elite series,but he knows I don’t want to spend a ton on a 2.1 system .
I think I’ll take another look at Denon again.
‘The model that’s on sale now, the AVR S760 seems extremely inexpensive , which made me question the internals . Hopefully its not just using chips and lead weights to make it seem like a good unit

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good to know thank you for the info . I actually had a marantz 5.1 pre pro and their amplifier years ago . I’m kicking myself for selling it , as it would have worked very nicely in this situation. Overkill for sure , but srs I hated those port holes and thought it was a strange design .
I don’t know anything about Onkyo , but my friend is pushing it because that’s what they sell . He is more of a fan of the Pioneer Elite series,but he knows I don’t want to spend a ton on a 2.1 system .
I think I’ll take another look at Denon again.
‘The model that’s on sale now, the AVR S760 seems extremely inexpensive , which made me question the internals . Hopefully its not just using chips and lead weights to make it seem like a good unit
That is a 2021 model so you would have to be suspicious of the provenance from the seller. There is a lot of grey market stuff around. I would buy a current model from a reliable seller.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
That is a 2021 model so you would have to be suspicious of the provenance from the seller. There is a lot of grey market stuff around. I would buy a current model from a reliable seller.
Thanks I wasn’t aware of that.
guys I know I’m all over the place but I‘m seriously considering the Pioneer Elite series . I would have sworn years ago that I read that some people found the class D amplifiers too warm with the highs ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

guys I know I’m all over the place but I‘m seriously considering the Pioneer Elite series . I would have sworn years ago that I read that some people found the class D amplifiers too warm with the highs ?
That is the same outfit as Onkyo.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Solen is in St-Hubert, QC, and also sells speaker kits. Not as wide a selection as Madisound but worth a look.

I purchased my Denon AVR from ElectronicsForLess last year. Waited for a sale and discount code to get a better deal. Several Denon models on sale currently.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Solen is in St-Hubert, QC, and also sells speaker kits. Not as wide a selection as Madisound but worth a look.

I purchased my Denon AVR from ElectronicsForLess last year. Waited for a sale and discount code to get a better deal. Several Denon models on sale currently.
I was looking at a Denon on sale , but not sure about the quality .

Thats certainly a good price but I’m tempted to go with Pioneer Elite series knowing it has better components. But the Denon checks all the boxes ,it just has 25 watts less per channel

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Thats certainly a good price but I’m tempted to go with Pioneer Elite series knowing it has better components. But the Denon checks all the boxes ,it just has 25 watts less per channel
The Denon brand is definitely a more reliable product than the Pioneer one. Your mind is made up, it's your money and you can do whatever you want to do with it.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
The Denon brand is definitely a more reliable product than the Pioneer one. Your mind is made up, it's your money and you can do whatever you want to do with it.
I’m not married to it . I mean the Denon could save me a lot of money , and I‘m assuming it will work just as well in my set up, as I’m not driving tower speakers here .
I’m visiting a friend on the weekend in the City of Lethbridge Alberta , and although it’s no Calgary , there may be some somewhat decent stores to purchase a receiver. I was going to order online ,but seeing as I’m going there anyways .
I have to build a new cabinet to hold a different receiver, so the sooner I get one in my hands the better

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I’m not married to it . I mean the Denon could save me a lot of money , and I‘m assuming it will work just as well in my set up, as I’m not driving tower speakers here .
I’m visiting a friend on the weekend in the City of Lethbridge Alberta , and although it’s no Calgary , there may be some somewhat decent stores to purchase a receiver. I was going to order online ,but seeing as I’m going there anyways .
I have to build a new cabinet to hold a different receiver, so the sooner I get one in my hands the better
I think you are hearing it from all of us to avoid products from that Voxx/Sharp outfit. They have always been bottom feeders.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
I think you are hearing it from all of us to avoid products from that Voxx/Sharp outfit. They have always been bottom feeders.
I’m definitely seeing a trend here . I wasn’t aware they were companies to avoid , and if I can I will try not to buy brands made by them .
As I mentioned earlier , I was debating to go with Anthem , but not if there’s fan noise . Guess Denon may be the winner

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I’m definitely seeing a trend here . I wasn’t aware they were companies to avoid , and if I can I will try not to buy brands made by them .
As I mentioned earlier , I was debating to go with Anthem , but not if there’s fan noise . Guess Denon may be the winner
I think Denon/Marantz and Yamaha are pretty safe choices. Sony may well be a good choice also, but we don't have many receiver owners here. Sony seem to be good value for money.

Personally I have never owned a receiver, but I have had a very good track record with Marantz AVPs.

Last edited:
M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
I had Marantz in the past , actually I have there slim network receiver in my garage . Unfortunately I sold my marantz pre pro and amp years ago , as I could have installed it .
The new yamaha receivers look to weird now imo . Yamaha was actually the first receiver I bought when I moved into my house .
Never been a Sony fan for some reason , but should probably take another look .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

If you're worried that 75W is too little, the X2800H would be a step up at 95W/ch at $1,300 Cdn. It's kind of sad what has happened with Pioneer and Onkyo. Pioneer Elite series were great products but now it's a gamble whether support will still be around in the future. Marantz AVRs will have similar specs to Denon, but you will pay more for the name and the looks. The Cinema 60 for example is $2,200.

How many speakers are you looking to run? There are some two channel options with bass management, but unfortunately the cost is higher due to smaller supply and demand. You can usually find a 7 channel AVR for the same or less money than 2 channel offerings, but the form factor will be smaller.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
People get creative when talking about class of amp let alone the whole warmth/bright thing. I don't believe the current series is class D in any case. I'd simply compare feature sets/prices for an avr choice, maybe the flavor of dsp you want to use.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
If you're worried that 75W is too little, the X2800H would be a step up at 95W/ch at $1,300 Cdn. It's kind of sad what has happened with Pioneer and Onkyo. Pioneer Elite series were great products but now it's a gamble whether support will still be around in the future. Marantz AVRs will have similar specs to Denon, but you will pay more for the name and the looks. The Cinema 60 for example is $2,200.

How many speakers are you looking to run? There are some two channel options with bass management, but unfortunately the cost is higher due to smaller supply and demand. You can usually find a 7 channel AVR for the same or less money than 2 channel offerings, but the form factor will be smaller.
I’ll be running 2 stereo channels by the tv , and in the future 2 additional stereo speakers , one on each side of the mirror . Well plus a 12” subwoofer.
I’m assuming most 5.1 and 7.1 receivers let you run the rear channels the same as the front and not as surrounds .
At least I hope.’
I’ll take a look at the model you posted

Last edited:
M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern

I just seen this model - Denon X2800H. It has that extra wattage , but tbh I don’t understand the speaker configuration . I want to run 2 channel stereo using the front terminals, and also another 2 channels stereo from the surround channels terminals .I don’t know if the speakers can be configured that way ? Meaning two sets of stereo front channels , not rear fill on the surround speaker terminals

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ll be running 2 stereo channels by the tv , and in the future 2 additional stereo speakers , one on each side of the mirror . Well plus a 12” subwoofer.
I’m assuming most 5.1 and 7.1 receivers let you run the rear channels the same as the front and not as surrounds .
At least I hope.’
I’ll take a look at the model you posted
Most avrs have an all-channel stereo mode where the l/r signal is output thru each pair of speakers (and summed to center if one present). Don't have rear channels in 5.1 surround, tho....just surrounds, rear surrounds come in with 7.1....personally I would use a surround mode.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Many thanks for chiming in everyone . After reading all your comments I finally committed to buying a new receiver .
I don’t see any other choice as I made a bad decision years ago when I purchased the Cambridge components.
No disrespect to Cambridge as their stereo equipment is gorgeous imo , and I’m sure their internals are top notch ,
but unfortunately it’s not the best choice for my gym .

So I just bit the bullet and ordered Denon‘s AVR-C2800H .

I’m a minimalist, and the models below this one have too many little buttons imo . I really like this model , and although it has way more features and channels than I require , I’m certain I’ll be pleased with this receiver .
Ordered directly through Denon if anyone is wondering. Checked BestBuy in Lethbridge and this model was not available, just a plethora of lower end models .
I am a big fan of Anthem ,but unfortunately their receivers have fans that are noticeably loud for some users .So that was a deal breaker for me , not to mention I don’t like their new plasticy look .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Many thanks for chiming in everyone . After reading all your comments I finally committed to buying a new receiver .
I don’t see any other choice as I made a bad decision years ago when I purchased the Cambridge components.
No disrespect to Cambridge as their stereo equipment is gorgeous imo , and I’m sure their internals are top notch ,
but unfortunately it’s not the best choice for my gym .

So I just bit the bullet and ordered Denon‘s AVR-C2800H .

I’m a minimalist, and the models below this one have too many little buttons imo . I really like this model , and although it has way more features and channels than I require , I’m certain I’ll be pleased with this receiver .
Ordered directly through Denon if anyone is wondering. Checked BestBuy in Lethbridge and this model was not available, just a plethora of lower end models .
I am a big fan of Anthem ,but unfortunately their receivers have fans that are noticeably loud for some users .So that was a deal breaker for me , not to mention I don’t like their new plasticy look .
That receiver should do fine. As mentioned, if you want the same level signal in all four speakers, just set the surround mode to All Channel Stereo. You could also configure the surround back as Zone 2 and send the same source to both the main zone and zone 2 which is a little more set up work but gives independent volume control of each zone. You just have to be aware that some source connections will not operate over zone 2 (refer to the manual).

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
That receiver should do fine. As mentioned, if you want the same level signal in all four speakers, just set the surround mode to All Channel Stereo. You could also configure the surround back as Zone 2 and send the same source to both the main zone and zone 2 which is a little more set up work but gives independent volume control of each zone. You just have to be aware that some source connections will not operate over zone 2 (refer to the manual).
That would be great will try . I wasn't going to install my inwall speakers till I got the main wall with the mirror resheeted with mdf (it’s 3/8” plywood now ) but I’m feeling a little anxious with this new receiver on the way .
I‘m looking forward to being able to tweak settings on the side as you listen as opposed to crawling under the stairs to try different settings on the sub .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis