Need passive filter for home speakers

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Wow that’s brutal . Wish I had enough real estate for conventional speakers , but that’s not an option. Well it is if I rethink the entire thing and mount conventional speakers under the oled panel .
With this new information, I think the speakers are more of an issue than the amp . If I had known this a few years ago I would not have used these speakers .
i took a chance because years ago I was using a paradigm sub and centre combo , and it sounded great imo .
In reality these slim speakers are just not going to cut it I guess.
Glad I posted a thread here with you guys , and I thank all of you that chimed in , great stuff
I just looked at the second photo you posted. That is indeed difficult. I have lived in problematic rooms before. In that situation, I would just stash conventional speakers under the tv in a semi-portable arrangement. Then either leave them under there to do whatever they will at low volumes, and bring them further out when trying to eek out something a little better from it.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
I just looked at the second photo you posted. That is indeed difficult. I have lived in problematic rooms before. In that situation, I would just stash conventional speakers under the tv in a semi-portable arrangement. Then either leave them under there to do whatever they will at low volumes, and bring them further out when trying to eek out something a little better from it.
If I pulled the oled further ahead I could I theory build my own speakers beside the oled panel , as it would give me the opportunity to build speaker boxes that are triangular in shape , maybe getting me enough volume for some decent 6.5 mids and some tweets .
ideally I’d like 8” midbass drivers though

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If I pulled the oled further ahead I could I theory build my own speakers beside the oled panel , as it would give me the opportunity to build speaker boxes that are triangular in shape , maybe getting me enough volume for some decent 6.5 mids and some tweets .
ideally I’d like 8” midbass drivers though
I would not use 8" drivers. They will have cone break up in the critical part of the speech discrimination band and need a crossover that is far lower than ideal. Whereas there are some good 6.5" drivers that can be crossed in the 2.5 to 3 KHz vicinity.

Designing and building speakers is a rewarding but difficult endeavor, with a very significant learning curve.
These days life has been made easier, with box modelling and crossover modelling software. In addition there are measuring mics and software that is affordable.

I have always designed and built my own speakers, and I have to say that it is easier and more certain in this computer age. I first started using computer assisted design back in 1984, and so qualify as an early adopter.

I am about to do a three week trip to the UK, so I can't really get interested in your project until then.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
I would not use 8" drivers. They will have cone break up in the critical part of the speech discrimination band and need a crossover that is far lower than ideal. Whereas there are some good 6.5" drivers that can be crossed in the 2.5 to 3 KHz vicinity.

Designing and building speakers is a rewarding but difficult endeavor, with a very significant learning curve.
These days life has been made easier, with box modelling and crossover modelling software. In addition there are measuring mics and software that is affordable.

I have always designed and built my own speakers, and I have to say that it is easier and more certain in this computer age. I first started using computer assisted design back in 1984, and so qualify as an early adopter.

I am about to do a three week trip to the UK, so I can't really get interested in your project until then.
Yes building your own could easily end up in a disaster. My idea is to buy a kit with raw drivers that are already proven , then building my box with the same enclosure volume ,but in a triangular fashion . I do like the idea of using 6.5” drivers real estate wise , especially 2 on each side . I mean my studio 100‘ s all use multiple 6.5” drivers and sound great to me .
Anyways thanks for chiming in, and have a great holiday

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes building your own could easily end up in a disaster. My idea is to buy a kit with raw drivers that are already proven , then building my box with the same enclosure volume ,but in a triangular fashion .
abyways thanks for chiming in, and have a great holiday
Yes, that certainly is a possible approach. You say that is a gym. What sort of size of space are we dealing with here? Is this a home gym or commercial space? If this is a commercial space, then robust engineering needs to tbe the order of the day.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Yes, that certainly is a possible approach. You say that is a gym. What sort of size of space are we dealing with here? Is this a home gym or commercial space? If this is a commercial space, then robust engineering needs to tbe the order of the day.
No just a home gym in my basement . The lg panel and speakers are in the far corner 0f the gym , but years ago I purchased paradigm studio in wall speakers that were going to be installed on each side of the mirror . That way I should get enough volume through out the space . The gyms the length of the house and just over half the width at about 13’ . Not sure how long the house is though , it’s old and only 870 sq ft .

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Well I’m debating to start from scratch. I’m a real fan of Anthem as my home theatre system upstairs is an avm 60 pre pro with their 225 watts per channel separate amp .

I may buy this receiver here . Have to see if it has control over high pass frequencies first

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I’m debating to start from scratch. I’m a real fan of Anthem as my home theatre system upstairs is an avm 60 pre pro with their 225 watts per channel separate amp .

I may buy this receiver here . Have to see if it has control over high pass frequencies first
That is a huge not very promising space. That corner location is a problem. You are going to need some speakers with some serious spl. to fill that space. I am not surprised your current system is totally inadequate.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Well things have changed . I have definitely damaged those paradigm speakers ,as I can hear distortion out of them even at low volumes now .
I am looking at a Denon AVR-S760H, it’s on sale right now and to boot it has a high pass option . But it’s obviously too late now that the speakers are garbage .
But regardless it would be nice to have the option of a low and high pass crossover in the future .
my thoughts now are to build my own speakers in the same location as the ones I have now, but with real drivers .
i can build a triangular enclosure to fit the location I have now in theory . Just need to find a decent kit that has the raw drivers and crossover network that is already proven .
Anyone have an opinion on Denon receivers ? I‘d also like to find a decent 3way driver kit that uses two 6.5” drivers for mid bass , plus a mid and a tweet .
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hard to make a suggestion without a budget for the speaker kit. There's lots of options available through parts express, madisound, and diy sound group.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Hard to make a suggestion without a budget for the speaker kit. There's lots of options available through parts express, madisound, and diy sound group.
Good point , I’d like to keep it under 2K . I’m in Canada unfortunately, so everything you buy from the US is just about double by the time it’s on your doorstep .
another option for speakers would be to rebuild the shelf the oleds sitting on , make it deeper and an actual enclosure with drivers on the front of it

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you only use this area for working out or do you ever watch TV in it?

The reason I ask is that I feel like a quartet of some good in ceiling speakers spread throughout the room would be a good way to get some music throughout the space more evenly if it's only use is for exercising.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well things have changed . I have definitely damaged those paradigm speakers ,as I can hear distortion out of them even at low volumes now .
I am looking at a Denon AVR-S760H, it’s on sale right now and to boot it has a high pass option . But it’s obviously too late now that the speakers are garbage .
But regardless it would be nice to have the option of a low and high pass crossover in the future .
my thoughts now are to build my own speakers in the same location as the ones I have now, but with real drivers .
i can build a triangular enclosure to fit the location I have now in theory . Just need to find a decent kit that has the raw drivers and crossover network that is already proven .
Anyone have an opinion on Denon receivers ? I‘d also like to find a decent 3way driver kit that uses two 6.5” drivers for mid bass , plus a mid and a tweet .
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
If you can be patient, I can help you and design custom speakers, but I leave for the UK for three weeks on Monday. For speakers of the size you are going to need, I strongly advise a two way, or at most a 2.5 way speakers. Since they are going to be on the wall, then almost certainly 2 way.
They won't need much if any baffle step compensation.

If you take a standard kit, the Baffle Step Compensation is going to be excessive. This is going to be much more akin to in wall design.

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
That is why you absolutely need a unit with proper bass management. If you go passive you will have no idea where the crossover actually is and you can guarantee an awful frequency response.

So you will need a sub with an FR out to at least 150 Hz and preferably higher.

I would sell that Cambridge unit and buy an AVR with bass management. Otherwise I think you are going to have damage. If distortion is obvious something is going to blow up and be more expensive.
I agree I definitely made a mistake and should have done my research back then . I’m ordering a Denon AVR-S760 receiver today. It’s on sale and I believe it checks all the boxes .
Later I’ll address the speaker issue , as I don’t think these slim ones are going to cut it .
Even the subwoofer placement is not ideal , and I’m debating to move it to where the stereo is located to see if it will correct some of the excessive base in the corner . It seems as though there’s a massive amount of base a few feet in front of the sub and behind it in the other room , but where I actually want the base it’s much lower .
I went outside and I’m surprised the neighbours are not complaining, as it’s louder behind the sub than anything .
The entire project is a total backfire tbh . I’ve got so many hours into this that it’s extremely hard to tear it all apart again , then there’s the cost

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Do you only use this area for working out or do you ever watch TV in it?

The reason I ask is that I feel like a quartet of some good in ceiling speakers spread throughout the room would be a good way to get some music throughout the space more evenly if it's only use is for exercising.
I do sit between sets and watch music videos ,but this wasn’t built to be a home theatre room . On occasion , like once a month , I go down there to get juiced . When I’m drinking I like to blast the tunes pretty hard.
Nice thing about this setup is no more spilled beer on the carpet upstairs .

i only have a 7’ ceiling so ceiling speakers aren’t really an option, but good call .

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
If you can be patient, I can help you and design custom speakers, but I leave for the UK for three weeks on Monday. For speakers of the size you are going to need, I strongly advise a two way, or at most a 2.5 way speakers. Since they are going to be on the wall, then almost certainly 2 way.
They won't need much if any baffle step compensation.

If you take a standard kit, the Baffle Step Compensation is going to be excessive. This is going to be much more akin to in wall design.
Thank you , there’s no rush on the speakers . I’m kind of liking this kit here . Dual 6“ midbass drivers and a tweeter. Now I’m thinking a 3 way system may be over complicated, and a 2.5 speaker setup may be the better way to go . Good call .
I’m open to other kits , as I just seen this and it looked like a viable option depending on how much volume I need in the enclosure

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree I definitely made a mistake and should have done my research back then . I’m ordering a Denon AVR-S760 receiver today. It’s on sale and I believe it checks all the boxes .
Later I’ll address the speaker issue , as I don’t think these slim ones are going to cut it .
Even the subwoofer placement is not ideal , and I’m debating to move it to where the stereo is located to see if it will correct some of the excessive base in the corner . It seems as though there’s a massive amount of base a few feet in front of the sub and behind it in the other room , but where I actually want the base it’s much lower .
I went outside and I’m surprised the neighbours are not complaining, as it’s louder behind the sub than anything .
The entire project is a total backfire tbh . I’ve got so many hours into this that it’s extremely hard to tear it all apart again , then there’s the cost
You should have posted here first!

M

MajorTendonitis

Audioholic Intern
Ok not getting a very positive review from the home theatre guys here . My buddies into pro audio , does the sound for concerts etc , and he’s not a fan of Denon , well at least the model I want .
He’s talking me into Onkyo , so I’ll take a look .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok not getting a very positive review from the home theatre guys here . My buddies into pro audio , does the sound for concerts etc , and he’s not a fan of Denon , well at least the model I want .
He’s talking me into Onkyo , so I’ll take a look .
Onkyo would be bottom of my list. Onkyo got into trouble with HDMI board failures and went broke. They are now owned by Voxx/Sharp corporations. They have always been bottom feeders, and have a long way to go to develop a trustworthy track record.

I would say most members here are either with Sound United, under the Marantz/Denon banner, or Yamaha, with a few Sony owners.

Sony seem to be good value, but for some reason are relatively a small player in the receiver market.

The big problem is that AV receivers are problematic devices, but in your situation you don't have much alternative.

I would still say that Marantz Denon and Yamaha are your safest options, as long as you avoid the cheaper Yamaha offerings.

I personally have never used receivers, but AVPs and separate amps, but for your use that is not a realistic option at this time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis