T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Preface: I just picked up a RX-A3080 yamaha in my main setup a few months ago and love it. That said, the Onkyo 596 receiver that was in here was moved to the garage and has since died. I would like to find a cheap but quality replacement. I'm okay with refurbished, open box or what ever as long as it gets me a good deal on a reliable product.

Needs: 5.1 or 7.1 power output, at least 1080p or 4k hdmi switching (will be on a 1080p tv) and good reliability. At least 1 subwoofer output.

Only thing hooked to it is a 1080p apple tv. Used in garage gym for videos and music. No major power requirements as the speakers are small Definitive Pro Monitor 800's.

Was looking at stuff in the $500 or less range. Anything in the Yamaha or Marantz line that fits the bill in this range? Remember, I rather have reliability over the latest stuff (don't need 8k).

Wish I had kept my old Yamaha 461 receiver (can't remember exact model but it was the older style with orange display lighting). Was a battle wagon for stuff like the garage but finally let it go a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Do they still have those? I looked online and they don't show it on their site. Thought they may be gone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if you insist on reliability, I'd say the new Yamahas are out. If you enjoy a challege, have at it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Do they still have those? I looked online and they don't show it on their site. Thought they may be gone.
I would think if you visited one store they can call other stores and find one for you if they don't have it in stock

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Nothing to consider on craigslist?
I looked and don't see anything good that isn't too far to drive, as in another city. I found a refurbished NAD T748 V2 for $399 but don't know if that is a good unit or not.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
What about the Marantz NR1200, NR1710 or similar? They can be found around $539 to $599 but there are other options of similar price. Just wondered how these thin ones compare.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Maybe call Best Buy see if they have an open box on this unit it's like $443. Maybe they can locate one at a store nearby or close enough to drive to
Good idea. I'm going to check on the costco model tomorrow as it looks to be similar to the RX-V6A. If no longer available I'll check on the Best Buy option or others. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked and don't see anything good that isn't too far to drive, as in another city. I found a refurbished NAD T748 V2 for $399 but don't know if that is a good unit or not.
Yeah for me nearest town with anything worthwhile audio-wise on CL is 45 minutes away but I can combine it with other errands if interesting enough. Refurb with warranty especially I'd think for $400 is a worthy garage avr!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Possibly RXV685 if they go on discount at Black Friday. In the past they have dropped to just under $400 on Amazon but not a guarantee it will happen this year.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe take a spin through a pawn shop. I’ve seen a lot of nice stuff popping up lately.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
You gotta go all-Yamaha now. That way you can do all MusicCast for music streaming. :D
after reading about the new 8k models I am prob going to avoid them for now. Especially for a 13 year old Sony 1080p tv and1080p Apple TV.

what is the best Yamaha from the prior series that is similar to the level of the RV4A or RV6A

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So what about a refurbished RX-A680 ? Is it sufficient for the system I've described? Any benefit to the RX-A780 or RX-A880 other than power?

This is an old 1080p TV and 1080p apple tv being used for modest level listening in a gym with my recently replaced DefTech Pro 800 monitors and Pro 1000 center. Still planning to add a speedwoofer for the sub in this room at some point also.

I like the idea of matching the receiver to my RX-A3080 in the living room regarding the music cast feature. I like the aventage line. Also like the idea that I could shuffle this to a bedroom system or move to 4k at some point and it still work. Just don't know what the lower levels give up over the mid levels in the aventage lineup.

Thank you.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So how about between a new RX-V685 and a refurbished RX-A780?

The 780 is $50 cheaper but specs seem similar other than the aventage added features like the middle foot, and supposed higher quality internal components in some spots.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis