Need help with new Denon X4400H

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No no no no I keep telling my babies not to overreact the Denon just will never compete with them it doesn't have port holes!!!!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Hey waddya mean optimistic Mr KEW buddy sir? Just waddya trying to say here! :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No no no no I keep telling my babies not to overreact the Denon just will never compete with them it doesn't have port holes!!!!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
You over reacted, that's an "improved" feature after past complaints apparently. Nothing to worry, no change in auto set up.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You over reacted, that's an "improved" feature after past complaints apparently. Nothing to worry, no change in auto set up.
Yeah I was hoping it was I just figured I'd check in with you guys to be safe it makes sense really if your going to calibrate manually and not use Audyssey just all my old recievers didn't have it of course so I was just running it by you guys to be safe

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The RSL speakers got installed they hooked up and working just need one more thing to be delivered a few tiny hookups and we are good to go! Once I reset it and rerun Audyssey and play with it I'll let you guys know how everything sounds it's a cold rainy day here in San Antonio so what a great day to chill all day and play with the system!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I was hoping it was I just figured I'd check in with you guys to be safe it makes sense really if your going to calibrate manually and not use Audyssey just all my old recievers didn't have it of course so I was just running it by you guys to be safe
Apparently some people didn't like the old way because they got startled by the 70-75 dB pink noise even if the volume was turned way down.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently some people didn't like the old way because they got startled by the 70-75 dB pink noise even if the volume was turned way down.
Oh that makes sense though. It can startle cats probably. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah also it makes for better measurements manually if you can level match through the master volume each channel precisely and know where your at with the volume I'll bet. Makes a lottof sense that way me? I'll just let Audyssey do the bulk of it and just tinker with the end a little bit:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the volume dial indicates just what level now for the test tones? If you set the volume scale to relative, do you dial it to -30dB to approximate the fixed levels of 75dB?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So the volume dial indicates just what level now for the test tones? If you set the volume scale to relative, do you dial it to -30dB to approximate the fixed levels of 75dB?
You'd need the spl meter or a better measuring Mic like you were telling me about to figure it out but I bet if you were setting it up manually you could figure it out exactly using the right equipment. At least that's what's popping into my mind. I guess I was just thinking a possible advantage is you would know where on each channel 75db is at on your master volume. I don't know if that would help or not but it seems like it might I could be stretching tho

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd need the spl meter or a better measuring Mic like you were telling me about to figure it out but I bet if you were setting it up manually you could figure it out exactly using the right equipment. At least that's what's popping into my mind. I guess I was just thinking a possible advantage is you would know where on each channel 75db is at on your master volume. I don't know if that would help or not but it seems like it might I could be stretching tho
Well, the old fixed levels were often 75dB or -30dB from reference, so that when you dialed it to 0 you had reference level. Just wondering how this new variable level is setup, what it's basis is in relation to the volume dial....is it covered in the manual?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the old fixed levels were often 75dB or -30dB from reference, so that when you dialed it to 0 you had reference level. Just wondering how this new variable level is setup, what it's basis is in relation to the volume dial....is it covered in the manual?
They just gave me the quick start guide manual since its an open buy I downloaded the manual online but didn't find any mention of it yet so far which is why I kind off freaked a little but it might be in there I haven't been able to go through everything just the basics like setup and stuff.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Everything still works the same if you run Audyssey/auto setup, that is, the test tone will be at the same level as before. The change applies only when you use the test tone manually. Before, the tone level was fixed to about 75 dB, i.e. volume dial at 0 post Audyssey run. Now, the tone level will follow the volume dial position, so if you want it to be at approximately 75 dB, set the volume to 0 manually.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everything still works the same if you run Audyssey/auto setup. The change applies only when you use the test tone. Before, the tone level was fixed to about 75 dB, i.e. volume dial at 0 post Audyssey run. Now, the tone level will follow the volume dial position, so if you want it to be at approximately 75 dB, set the volume to 0 manually.
You sure that's how it's setup, e.g. if you were working without spl meter? Or would it now be 85 when set to 0? Any specific info from D&M on this?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You sure that's how it's setup, e.g. if you were working without spl meter? Or would it now be 85 when set to 0? Any specific info from D&M on this?
I own one, so I know that's how it works now, and other users on AVS confirmed the same. I did check it with a spl meter and I got about 71-72 dB at volume 0, same as my Marantz AV8801. I expected it to be 75 dB but it's not quite. I also checked it with movies, and have no trouble hitting a little higher than 105 dB at volume 0. So I am quite sure everything is good, no change from the old way. Again the new way only affects the test tone when used manually.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I too have a 4400H, but as I just connected my new Fronts (HSU CCB-8s), I didn't bother with my SPL meter as I was too eager to hear them. I'll try to check this out.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They just gave me the quick start guide manual since its an open buy I downloaded the manual online but didn't find any mention of it yet so far which is why I kind off freaked a little but it might be in there I haven't been able to go through everything just the basics like setup and stuff.
How’s the ceiling speakers? Did you like their sound? I lowered my side surrounds for Atmos today but still haven’t cut in my ceiling speakers yet.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How’s the ceiling speakers? Did you like their sound? I lowered my side surrounds for Atmos today but still haven’t cut in my ceiling speakers yet.
They are friggin amazing and the new Denon and Atmos? You need to hurry up and get those ceiling speakers in just saying

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis