Need help with new Denon X4400H

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys just bought a Denon 4400H from Bjorn's open item comes with full warranty.
The guy is coming by to install new ceiling speakers to replace my old ones tommorow morning so I figured I'd hook everything up check if all speakers were working. I checked the connections on the old ceiling speakers first on the old reciever all good. Then I put in the Denon started plugging in components and speakers I made sure everything was unplugged before I did this. Once everything connected I power it on up
So far so good I want to run level tones to see if my speakers are hooked up correctly. This is where my issue comes in. I run the test tones and I can barely hear any static at all. I have to turn it up to +12db to hear anything at all. This includes the subs. I've never owned a reciever that didn't put out test static for each speaker that wasn't fairly loud I mean that's how you level match your speakers with a meter. It has to be fairly loud. I've got a bad bad feeling that I may have just bought a lemon and will have to return it. Unless I'm doing something wrong here. Running it in eco mode or something. At first I thought maybe my preouts are bad or not up to running my emotiva amp. But when I switched them to the regular speakers on the recievers amps still I can barely hear the noise. This guy is coming over to do the install tommorow for the ceiling speakers but there's no point if I don't have a working reciever. Man any input from you guys would sure be appreciated

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Send to me for testing...
Can’t remember, did you get an spl meter? What readings do you get when running test tones?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, you're only doing manual setup rather than initiate Audyssey?

I'd do at least a soft reset (unplugging it for a while) and if that doesn't do it, then run a full microprocessor/factory reset.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I'd do at least a soft reset (unplugging it for a while) and if that doesn't do it, then run a full microprocessor/factory reset.
No I just wanted to make sure my speakers were plugged in right to the right spots then I planned on running Audyssey. But I think I figured out what the problem is. I turned the friggin volume knob up and the static levels went up! But that's weird on my onkyo it doesn't matter where the volume knob is if its on 0 those tones are the same if it's on reference maybe Denon does that so you can set testing especially with Audyssey at a specified volume setting? Audyssey probably turns up the volume automatically. Maybe some 4400H owners can tell me why that is weird

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So like I was telling HD when I turned the volume knob up the test tones went up that's the first reciever that does it that way on the Onkkyo I had in there it doesn't matter where that master volume knob is at that level tone is loud. Maybe Denon just does that for a reason? Hopefully some 4400H owners can chime in that know the answer

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Like I said I may have figured it out but since I bought it open item it probably won't hurt to do a complete reset although I figured Bjorn's would have done that before they put it out for sale. They have a full repair shop in store I'm pretty sure they would have bench tested it and everything. But like your saying HD it can't hurt to run the reset just to be safe

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Send to me for testing...
Can’t remember, did you get an spl meter? What readings do you get when running test tones?
Have you ever owned a reciever where the test tones where affected by the master volume? This is the first one for me but since I'm only beginning to step up to the big boys club I know only a little you know I'm a complete noob. But I'm on the path to enlightenment! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said I may have figured it out but since I bought it open item it probably won't hurt to do a complete reset although I figured Bjorn's would have done that before they put it out for sale. They have a full repair shop in store I'm pretty sure they would have bench tested it and everything. But like your saying HD it can't hurt to run the reset just to be safe
I doubt they either reset it let alone did a bench test.....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt they either reset it let alone did a bench test.....
Yeah your probably right wishful thinking on my part. Well I'm gonna use my test tones to make sure I plugged all the speakers into the right place. Wait to hear from some Denon 4400H owners if this is standard having the test tones be connected to the master volume. Also call Denon if no one has an answer. And then run the factory reset like you said cuz that's still a great idea. And then run Audyssey by the time that's all done they should have the ceiling speakers in place

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I dont have the denon 4400h but the new denon/marantz recievers/processors dont use a set main volume for manual test tones, at least my marantz av8805 doesnt and have read many other newer denon/marantz units do also. The audyssey setup run use its own volume as you suspected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I dont have the denon 4400h but the new denon/marantz recievers/processors dont use a set main volume for manual test tones, at least my marantz av8805 doesnt and have read many other newer denon/marantz units do also. The audyssey setup run use its own volume as you suspected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah man kool thanks bro that is such a relief would have been heart broken to have to take this bad boy back

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you ever owned a reciever where the test tones where affected by the master volume? This is the first one for me but since I'm only beginning to step up to the big boys club I know only a little you know I'm a complete noob. But I'm on the path to enlightenment! :D
Welcome brother......the path to enlightenment is long and beautiful.........(zen master voice, or something cheesy like that lol)

Seems like a long time ago a had a couple that worked like that. I mean like back in the 90’s or early 2k’s. Wouldn’t matter much I think. The point is/was to level the channels.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is pure speculation, but as a thought exercise to explain things it has value.
Consider that the unit was opened, it may likely have been returned to the store.
The previous owner ran the setup routine (which includes Audyssey).
The previous owner had very efficient speakers (let's say 103dB).
This would cause the AVR to set the relative level very low so as not to blow you out of the room (which seems like a decent reason to not have the test tone at a fixed level?).
The store doesn't do anything to the AVR. The previous owner says it works fine, he just decided he didn't need it, so they put it on the shelf as a open box unit.
Now you bring it home and set it up with less efficient speakers (say 85dB) and the volume is now 18dB below the optimal level set by/for the previous owner's speakers! In this condition your adjusting the AVR to +12dB would still be 6dB shy of "optimal" (as determined by the setup routine).

Assuming there is a modicum of reality in the above scenario,
1) You really should return the AVR to its default settings. There are so many "nooks and crannies" in the setup menus, it is simply best to start with a clean slate to make sure there are no errant settings from the previous owner. Note this will also reset time/phase/distance matching of the previous owners speakers. (Seems like the default is to assume all speakers are 11 feet away so they are all in sync without customizing to your layout).
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/EU/EN/GFNFSYvyalrwrt.php
2) Run the setup routine. After a reset, it will automatically suggest this. You can skip it, but I can't think of a reason you would. If you do not believe in Audyssey, you can turn Audyssey off, but you will retain the level matching and the time/phase matching of the setup routine.

I understand you may not have time or want to run Audyssey before the installer puts in the speakers, but the reset is quick and returns everything to the defaults which are chosen as "non-problematic neutral settings". Things won't yet be "optimized" as Audyssey is supposed to, but having someone else's settings is a "worse than non-problematic neutral" situation!;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome brother......the path to enlightenment is long and beautiful.........(zen master voice, or something cheesy like that lol)

Seems like a long time ago a had a couple that worked like that. I mean like back in the 90’s or early 2k’s. Wouldn’t matter much I think. The point is/was to level the channels.
Kool kool yeah it's a neat feature it's the first one I've had that does it but it's a pretty neat idea when you think about it. Time to get off my ass and buy an SPL meter!!!!!!!! .......AFTER I RUN AUDYSSEY BABY!!!!!!ohhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhh:p:p:po_Oo_Oo_O

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Note the reset will reset more than the auto-setup routine.
For example, the previous owner may have set his CD player up for the RCA inputs (instead of the optical input, etc). May have also set the CD input to convert to surround sound (I would generally want my CD to default to stereo).
Realistically, they probably didn't do too much if they were not committed to the AVR, but you never know...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Note the reset will reset more than the auto-setup routine.
For example, the previous owner may have set his CD player up for the RCA inputs instead of the optical input, etc. May have set the CD input to surround sound (I would generally want my CD to default to stereo).
Realistically, they probably didn't do too much if they were not committed to the AVR, but you never know...
Sir! Yes sir! I read you loud and clear sir! :D Seriously tho kidding aside I already love the set up menu. And the remote it's really easy to learn my way around I'm already way more comfortable on here then I was starting off on the onkyo. Not that the onkyo was bad just feels easier to pick up for me on the Denon. And I really like the look of it in the rack she's a sexy one that denon is!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sir! Yes sir! I read you loud and clear sir! :D Seriously tho kidding aside I already love the set up menu. And the remote it's really easy to learn my way around I'm already way more comfortable on here then I was starting off on the onkyo. Not that the onkyo was bad just feels easier to pick up for me on the Denon. And I really like the look of it in the rack she's a sexy one that denon is!
Uh oh the subs will be jealous! LOL. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis