Need help with choosing new floorstander speakers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They list the 3060s as -6dB at 35Hz. They do not list any info, even in the manual for the 3070s.

Sketch A.F.

Edit:
Interstingly, they list the crossover frequency on the 3060 as being the same as the FR... If that were to hold true for the 3070, the bottom end would be a grossly underwhelming 50Hz @ -6dB! If true... this isn't just sketchy, but should be a crime!
Wow! F6 at 35hz... aye caramba!
My guess was the 3070 was f3 around 30-35. I’m even more confident that my initial thoughts of dynamic capability mismatch is correct.
I feel like the upsides is these. Smallish room, suspended apartment building floor, apartment living so limited volume. I don’t think it will take a lot of subwoofer to get the job done here. Just one or two with better specs, and linearity.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep. That’s all I could find as well. The spec I’m looking for is f3, or lower frequency capability.
Yup. And I even think you're being optimistic guessing an f3 of 30-35 hz too. I would guess more like -6 at 35. It's just a li'l fella!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
*I kept getting error messages when I tried posting earlier...

View attachment 36606
Interesting. I got that today too, but I was on Rain Birds website, and following an internal link. Weird. I’ve only seen that message a few times in all my browsing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. I got that today too, but I was on Rain Birds website, and following an internal link. Weird. I’ve only seen that message a few times in all my browsing.
I did a soft reset on my router and tablet, cleared caches, etc.. Seems to have cleared it up. Before that I couldn't post anything with either Brave or Chrome. It was only here too, weird.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Guys... Everyone seems to be mocking my Q Acoustics 3070s sub‍♂ but at the mo I can actually feel it.. it sounds good with my fronts and rears since I set everything up with Audyssey last night ... I’m sure there are a lot better subs but until I’m earning money again.. I have to go with what I’ve currently got and upgrade in stages

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Guys... Everyone seems to be mocking my Q Acoustics 3070s sub‍ but at the mo I can actually feel it.. it sounds good with my fronts and rears since I set everything up with Audyssey last night ... I’m sure there are a lot better subs but until I’m earning money again.. I have to go with what I’ve currently got and upgrade in stages
Apologies for making you feel as if we’re mocking your gear. All were trying to do is point out specs. I can see where it might feel like we’re picking on it, but the truth is, we’ve already been where you are, and can’t go back. Just trying to lead you is all.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Guys... Everyone seems to be mocking my Q Acoustics 3070s sub‍♂ but at the mo I can actually feel it.. it sounds good with my fronts and rears since I set everything up with Audyssey last night ... I’m sure there are a lot better subs but until I’m earning money again.. I have to go with what I’ve currently got and upgrade in stages
I’m not mocking the sub... I am mocking Q Acoustics, however, for not publishing any details about the product! :)
I’ve seen a lot of good press for Q-Acoustics Speakers.
That said, rare is the time a speaker company builds a good sub. Just a simple truth that seems to be reinforced countless times.
:)

glad you are enjoying things!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol!

Sorry, we do get a little carried away in the spirit of the discussion and I missed that you're tapped now. I really don't mean to make you feel like you're getting beat up. I do want to impress upon you how important good bass is when it comes to good sound so you don't stick it on the back burner, run out and spend money on more speakers or amplification or something. Good clean bass can elevate your whole system, I promise. My experience was that my main speakers even sounded cleaner because there was distortion permeating throughout. I didn't even realize it was there until it was gone. It was a real eye opener for me and I've been beating the bass drum ever since, lol.

Right now, that I more fully understand your situation, you work with what you got. That means careful placement, room correction... basically everything you're doing now, lol. You say you've made some improvements and like how it's sounding now?

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
I think most of you are from the USA on here?
Obviously we’re all in the same boat wherever in the world we are... I’m a self employed musician and since March I’ve lost about £6000 British in lost earnings with my successful Bon Jovi Tribute band... all our shows cancelled until whenever

by now if we still had our gigs, I’d have upgraded everything by now :) I hate being broke lol The Coronavirus is awful and at least we are all staying healthy... my AV system is gonna be awesome as soon as I can afford it.... meanwhile I’m back to some keyboards practice enjoy your weekend folks gotta go phone my teenage daughter who lives in Ormond Beach in Daytona

Attachments

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Nice looking room!
1) Definitely should have speakers set to small (but Pogre makes a point about your sub possibly being especially inept)!
2) Leave Audyssey Dynamic EQ on, but turn Dynamic Volume off! As a simplified explanation, Dynamic EQ increases the bass to mid-range balance as you reduce the volume so you still get a full sound at low listening levels. Dynamic Volume compresses the audio signal, so the difference between a loud and soft sound is reduced this is not something you would usually want for home listening (it is a common and more useful feature in many cars where road noise would cover up quiet sections, but if you turn up the volume, the sound would blast you out of the car when it got loud. Classical music is the most common example of wide dynamics between quiet and loud - much of modern music is created/mixed with the idea that the listener is using earbuds where there might be a fair amount of background noise. Exeriment for yourself, but most agree that Dynamic Volume should be avoided!
3) That glass coffee table positioned midway from the mains is really setting off my OCD. If it really needs to stay, consider putting a small rug on top of it (Austin Powers voice on) - "Shag, baby!" But seriously, at least consider putting some throw pillows on you sofa and moving them to parts of the coffee table (ideally where the reflection point from your mains are) that you are not using when you are listening. Anything you can do to absorb or scatter sound-waves reflecting off of that glass surface will help. Re-run Audyssey with the pillows on the table.
You might do a test to understand why it matters so much - simply listen with, then set the glass aside and listen again. Ideally, you would run Audyssey for both situations, but for a general "quick and dirty" test, run Pure Direct! What is happening is all high frequency (and much mid) gets reflected to your ears arriving microseconds after the direct signal from the speakers. The timing is close enough that your brain does not recognize it as a reflections (as it would a reflection off of the ceiling) instead, the attacks and releases of sounds are being "smeared" over that extra time, (perceptually) reducing the level of detail that your speakers are capable of!
I do have 6 pillows on my couch at all times, but the picture I took was before I did Audyssey, I took them off lol!
Maybe I’ll lay a throw over the coffee now then table yeah?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think most of you are from the USA on here?
Obviously we’re all in the same boat wherever in the world we are... I’m a self employed musician and since March I’ve lost about £6000 British in lost earnings with my successful Bon Jovi Tribute band... all our shows cancelled until whenever

by now if we still had our gigs, I’d have upgraded everything by now :) I hate being broke lol The Coronavirus is awful and at least we are all staying healthy... my AV system is gonna be awesome as soon as I can afford it.... meanwhile I’m back to some keyboards practice enjoy your weekend folks gotta go phone my teenage daughter who lives in Ormond Beach in Daytona
I think most of us are in North America. I'm in the US, Arizona, in the middle of the desert.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
I’m looking at getting all this before the years out

Cyrus One with HT Bypass

Denon AVR-X3600H

I’ve just gotta choose a sub now that’ll wipe the floor with my Q Acoustics 3070S, no I don’t want 2 subs lol!! I’ve only room for one

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
a quick question.. don’t laugh

is it a no no to use a pair of floorstanders as rear surrounds?
Been offered a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 from a friend for a stupidly good price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Been offered a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 from a friend for a stupidly good price?
Not at all if you have the room! The word "overkill" comes to mind but when you're an audiophile overkill is in your nature!

So... what's a stupidly good price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m looking at getting all this before the years out

Cyrus One with HT Bypass

Denon AVR-X3600H

I’ve just gotta choose a sub now that’ll wipe the floor with my Q Acoustics 3070S, no I don’t want 2 subs lol!! I’ve only room for one
Why an integrated amp AND an AV receiver? Are you planning 2 different systems?

*Edit: It's a headphone amp! D'oh! I get it now, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Better served as surrounds rather than rears, but really not a problem either way. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis