Need help with choosing new floorstander speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In that case your budget is way too low. The big sound mainly come from 80 to 2.5 KHz and especially from 80 to 500 HZ. You have a sub in any case for the last two octaves. What you really want is that good mid band response. The KEF leads in that department. If you want bass extension from the towers, then there will be more than one bass driver. The speaker will then be 4 ohm even if the manufacturer claims 8, and then your receiver will struggle. In addition you will need to buy a much more expensive set of speakers to get a good mid band response and bass extension.
58 hz does seem a little bit high doesn't it? Wouldn't he want to use a 120 hz crossover then? My bookshelf speakers dig deeper than that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Please see these pictures of my Denon settings - there are so many as I used Audyssey to calibrate when I bought it and redo it if i move home...

do you understand if I’ve done anything wrong based on my room pictured here etc?
I would switch "LFE + Main" to just "LFE". Everything else looks pretty good.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
I would switch "LFE + Main" to just "LFE". Everything else looks pretty good.
Why do I change from LFE+Main to just LFE?

i don’t understand Technical stuff lol sorry

and IF I buy some floorstanders in the next week or so... I’ll have to redo the Audyssey calibration again yeah?

would I also need to change any other settings you’ve seen in my pictures of my settings above? Like maybe front left and right would need to be changed from SMALL to LARGE because bookshelf speakers are small and floorstanders are large I take it??

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Please bare in mind that my post on here was just to say that I wanted a bigger sound than I was getting when listening to music cds in 2 channel stereo and not in 5.1 surround sound etc

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why do I change from LFE+Main to just LFE?

i don’t understand Technical stuff lol sorry

and IF I buy some floorstanders in the next week or so... I’ll have to redo the Audyssey calibration again yeah?

would I also need to change any other settings you’ve seen in my pictures of my settings above? Like maybe front left and right would need to be changed from SMALL to LARGE because bookshelf speakers are small and floorstanders are large I take it??
LFE + Main doesn't really have any effect unless your speakers are set to large. Then it sends a signal to your mains and your subs which does more harm than good in most cases. Just muddies up your bass and sounds like crap. Your speakers aren't large enough to where it'll have much effect on you either way to be honest. We just usually recommend LFE only.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
LFE + Main doesn't really have any effect unless your speakers are set to large. Then it sends a signal to your mains and your subs which does more harm than good in most cases. Just muddies up your bass and sounds like crap. Your speakers aren't large enough to where it'll have much effect on you either way to be honest. We just usually recommend LFE only.
here are the specs for my 4 x bookshelf speakers, the Q Acoustics 3010

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, lol.

Everything looks pretty good on paper the way you have it. As long as you're not stuffing speakers into cabinets and cubby holes you should be sounding pretty good. How did you pick a spot for your sub?

*Edit: Speaking of which, those sub specs don't tell us very much. Q Acoustic make some pretty nice speakers, but their one subwoofer I saw left a lot to be desired. If you're after some improvements I'd start saving up for a better sub.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
It did notice your center crossover is to low. I would match it the fronts. I doubt that will change much but it can’t hurt to make the adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Okay, lol.

Everything looks pretty good on paper the way you have it. As long as you're not stuffing speakers into cabinets and cubby holes you should be sounding pretty good. How did you pick a spot for your sub?

*Edit: Speaking of which, those sub specs don't tell us very much. Q Acoustic make some pretty nice speakers, but their one subwoofer I saw left a lot to be desired. If you're after some improvements I'd start saving up for a better sub.
What sub would you recommend based on my Denon AVR?

specs for it are here

Attachments

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yep, turn the knob on your subwoofer up to 150Hz.

Then, as Jeff R. suggested, change the center channel crossover frequency to around 100Hz.

The other settings look reasonably correct.

If you buy new speakers, or even just move your current speakers, you need to re-run Audyssey.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

specs for it are here
You choose a subwoofer based on your budget and the overall size (volume) of your room, along with your listening habits (super loud? not very loud?)

Often TWO subwoofers are recommended. Two decent subwoofers placed several feet apart often yields better performance than one good subwoofer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

specs for it are here
Sub recommendations have very little to do with your avr. More to do with your room size and listening habits. SVS is always a good recommendation, solid manufacturer. From what I understand XTZ make good subs also and might be available for you. I'm assuming UK? Europe?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sub recommendations have very little to do with your avr. More to do with your room size and listening habits. SVS is always a good recommendation, solid manufacturer. From what I understand XTZ make good subs also and might be available for you. I'm assuming UK? Europe?
I would look at XTZ first if I was there.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
So... looking back at everyone’s comments

My plan is this...

Pick up Bronze 6’s tomorrow
Come home and set everything up

When asked what speakers I have on the Denon AVR speaker setup menu

I Set the existing Rear Q Acoustics 3010’s as SMALL still?
but now I have Bronze 6’s as the fronts, change that from SMALL to LARGE?

I rang Monitor Audio UK this morning and spoke to Chris who works there and he said that he would still leave the new Bronze 6 front 2 speakers on SMALL setting on my Denon AVR ... thought that was a bit odd but surely he knows what he’s talking about, where as I do not

you guys said set the subwoofer mode from LFE+MAIN to LFE only? Even with new Bronze 6’s?

Then I run Audyssey setup?? All done?

Found a pair of Bronze 2’s online as new for £90 with stands!!!
Sell my 2 x Q Acoustics 3010’s and buy the Bronze 2’s for the rear? Massive improvement?

Then later this year, replace the Denon AVR for someat better and then the sub?

Work in progress

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think you have a good plan moving forward. I agree with setting the monitors to small, and LFE only. LFE+mains makes a muddy mess, and while it CAN work, and some people do like it better, it takes mains that are much more capable with bass than the 6’s.
The reason for “small” has only to do with bass extension, and not the physical size. I wish they’d stop using that naming system.
Selling the Q’s to get monitor surrounds is a great choice too.
I also think I’d replace the sub first, and AVR later. Unless you notice it struggling, which you probably won’t, if listening at same volumes. If you go mental with volume knob though... Btw, they’re always works in progress lol.
And congratulations. I think the 6’s are a good choice, and you’ll love them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis