This is my current setup below
I’m based in the UK

1 x Denon AVRX2200W Amp
4 x Q Acoustics 3010 on their stands
1 x Q Acoustic 3070S Sub
1 x Q Acoustic 3090C Centre Speaker
1 x Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player

Watching movies is okay, happy with the sound

When listening to music cd’s, my system is weak and has no guts... I want a lot more fullness and a bigger musical sound if that makes sense?

I’m thinking that getting some floorstanders will change my weak sound ?
The 3010’s on stands are thin and weak sounding

I can’t afford to upgrade my Denon amp at the minute, but I will do towards the end of the year

My speaker choices are these below
I obviously can’t demo any due to this Coronavirus pandemic, so any advice would be great based on my current equipment

Monitor Audio Bronze 6
Monitor Audio Bronze 5
Dali Oberon 5
Dali Oberon 7
Fyne Audio F303
Q Acoustics 3050i

Attachments

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Your Denon is fine - no need to upgrade that.

You don't necessarily need towers. In fact, you might get more 'bang for your buck' by getting nicer bookshelf speakers instead of relatively cheap towers.

The 4" "woofer" on those Q Acoustics speakers just isn't big enough to provide much bass. Even when mated with a subwoofer, it's going to struggle in the region just above the crossover (the mid and upper bass region).

That sub isn't the most powerful either.

1. What is the crossover frequency set to for the sub to speakers? Most recommendations say 80Hz is good, but with those small speakers, you might get better results upping the crossover frequency to 100Hz, 120Hz, or even 150Hz.

Beyond that, I'd say get better bookshelf speakers. I don't know what the used market is like in the UK, but you might find much better used bookshelf speakers than any of the new towers you mentioned at similar prices.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Guys

I’m based in the UK

1 x Denon AVRX2200W Amp
1 x Q Acoustic 3070S Sub

When listening to music cd’s, my system is weak and has no guts... I want a lot more fullness and a bigger musical sound if that makes sense?

I can’t afford to upgrade my Denon amp at the minute, but I will do towards the end of the year

I obviously can’t demo any due to this Coronavirus pandemic, so any advice would be great based on my current equipment

Monitor Audio Bronze 6
Monitor Audio Bronze 5
Dali Oberon 5
Dali Oberon 7
Fyne Audio F303
Q Acoustics 3050i
Welcome to AH,

Firstly, I suggest that you listen to several loudspeakers before committing to purchasing them. Take one or two of your favorite CDs for a proper assessment in the store. Bookshelves from either KEF, Jamo or Dali should be able to provide a good dynamic audio performance. If you could take some home for trying in your listening room with a possibility of returning them if not satisfied would be ideal.
Take your time, you will have to live with them for a while. Let us know of your experience and your final choice.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys

I did think about some bookshelf speakers but I reallly do want floorstanders

on a UK AV forum... most people keep saying my Denon AVRX2200W isn’t good enough to power these speaker choices I’ve made..

I’ve managed to sell the front 2 QA 3010’s to my friend and have 2 remaining behind my couch which I still use in my setup

Obviously I cannot demo any speakers until shops allow this and this won’t be very soon due to Coronavirus

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Bad advice from the UK AV forum (happens on a lot of forums, unfortunately). The Denon isn't your weak link; the speakers and subwoofer are.

Again, what do you have the crossover frequency set to?

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Bad advice from the UK AV forum (happens on a lot of forums, unfortunately). The Denon isn't your weak link; the speakers and subwoofer are.

will check tomorow as in bed - it being 2.45am here lol

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Also, are you using the sub at all when you play music, or just when you play movies?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a serious review of your Denon AVR-X2200W receiver. It's not so bad compared to some more expensive AVRs:

I realize that you would be interested in getting floor standing speakers. What is your budget? Probably you might be able to get an interesting product with Jamo or Dali at a decent cost.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Yeah my sub is on when I have music on (i think)
I only listen to my Music in 2 channel stereo
I’d better check that too! But I’m sure it is

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Here is a serious review of your Denon AVR-X2200W receiver. It's not so bad compared to some more expensive AVRs:

I realize that you would be interested in getting floor standing speakers. What is your budget? Probably you might be able to get an interesting product with Jamo or Dali at a decent cost.
my budget is no more than £650 British

Richer sounds is a common website to look for stuff

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Monitor Audio is a reliably good brand. Dali is good too. I have heard some of the Fyne speakers and enjoyed them. Q Acoustics has a good reputation but I haven't heard anything from them that I recall. If you ar not able to demo these speakers, I would just go with Monitor and they normally go for a flat response, and after that you can just EQ the response to your taste if you are not happy with it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On your list, I like the Monitor bronze 6. They make very nice speakers. I’m a tower guy, and find that even above the XO point, they (can) deliver better dynamics and midrange power, and punch. Many times they’re easier to drive than BS speakers, and have better power/thermal sharing due to the extra drivers. IE: towers aren’t only about bass extension.
As mentioned, the current speakers are just too small. I think it’d be fine in a bedroom or den sized room. You can raise the XO, but that sub imo, will just get boomier as the XO goes up. Plus, you’ll still have a “scooped” midrange, but it’ll just start higher in the frequency range.
The subwoofer is also, too small, and probably wouldn’t keep up with the Monitors if you wound them up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Guys

I’m based in the UK

1 x Denon AVRX2200W Amp
1 x Q Acoustic 3070S Sub

Monitor Audio Bronze 6
Monitor Audio Bronze 5
Dali Oberon 5
Dali Oberon 7
Fyne Audio F303
Q Acoustics 3050i
I would take a serious look at the KEF Q550. Normally that is above you price range. However Music Matters have them on special right now at the very good price of 599 GBP, whereas everyone else has them at $795. If you are going to use a receiver that will be an easier and safer load, as there is only one acive woofer and two ABRs. For your situation that would be my pick of the bunch.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
I would take a serious look at the KEF Q550. Normally that is above you price range. However Music Matters have them on special right now at the very good price of 599 GBP, whereas everyone else has them at $795. If you are going to use a receiver that will be an easier and safer load, as there is only one acive woofer and two ABRs. For your situation that would be my pick of the bunch.
The bass response on Q550 aren’t low enough at 58hz, that’s pretty bad for a speaker really
I really wanted to get the Kef in White

I’m looking at 32 to 40hz for a bigger overall sound

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
I’m Absolutely gutted!!

went to buy some “open box” Dali oberon 7’s for an amazing price and the company’s website says a 10% deposit and pay the rest in 12 months, so I said yes please and the guy then says oh sorry we can’t do finance on open box deals!! Yet it says they do!! Back to square one!! can’t believe it

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern

here is a picture of the back of my sub for you.. good setting? Or do I have to change anything on it? And do I have to change any settings on the Denon AV amp aswell?

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The bass response on Q550 aren’t low enough at 58hz, that’s pretty bad for a speaker really
I really wanted to get the Kef in White

I’m looking at 32 to 40hz for a bigger overall sound
In that case your budget is way too low. The big sound mainly come from 80 to 2.5 KHz and especially from 80 to 500 HZ. You have a sub in any case for the last two octaves. What you really want is that good mid band response. The KEF leads in that department. If you want bass extension from the towers, then there will be more than one bass driver. The speaker will then be 4 ohm even if the manufacturer claims 8, and then your receiver will struggle. In addition you will need to buy a much more expensive set of speakers to get a good mid band response and bass extension.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
here is a picture of the back of my sub for you.. good setting? Or do I have to change anything on it? And do I have to change any settings on the Denon AV amp aswell?
Turn the knob for crossover all the way up to 150, then go into the menus on your Denon receiver and see what the crossover is set to there. It's on the Denon that you should do the adjustments, not on the subwoofer.

WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

Audioholic Intern
Please see these pictures of my Denon settings - there are so many as I used Audyssey to calibrate when I bought it and redo it if i move home...

do you understand if I’ve done anything wrong based on my room pictured here etc?

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis