Need help deciding which TV to buy

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I accidentally left my Panasonic Plasma the other day paused on COD4 for about 2 hours. When I came back I had some image retention but after changing it to the cable for about 2 minutes the IR went away completely. Burn-in is hardly an issue anymore.
Yeah... haven't seen any issues at all on my samsung plasma. The sammy also has some special features for this in case you are really paranoid about it. It has an adjustable image shift capability, and it also has an White screen for clearing the image. I haven't had to use either one, other than to just try it when I bought the set.

C

cccsdad

Audiophyte
I give up.

I WAS getting ready to buy a new LCD, but after comming in here and reading "Sonys have clouding issues", "Sharps have banding issues", Toshibas have Green Push issues" I've about decided to stick with my old 36" XBR.

A few questions:

1: Do the 92U Model Sharps still have the banding issues? Is there any press release from Sharp stating what the problem was and if they've corrected it?

2 I've heard through calibration, the "green push" associated with Toshiba's can be resolved?

3: I haven't heard much about the Mits. 46244 series, any info on them?

It seems ( after searching countless forums) as if the Samsungs seem to have the fewest negative comments.

Any NEW inf (especially realted to the Sharp 92U series, would be appreciated.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, I was just checking teh Panasonic website.
This is what I saw as main difference between teh 2.
Panasonic 77U vs 700U Comparison
77U
  • Anti-Glare Filter
  • 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • No PC Input
700U
  • Anti-reflective Coating
  • 5000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • Have PC Input
  • $200 more than the 77U
My question is about the contrast ratios. 5,000:1 as opposed to 10,000:1 sounds like it should huge make a difference, will it?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
My question is about the contrast ratios. 5,000:1 as opposed to 10,000:1 sounds like it should huge make a difference, will it?
From my understanding, contrast ratios are pretty bunk. You can't accurately compare one TV to another this way.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
From my understanding, contrast ratios are pretty bunk. You can't accurately compare one TV to another this way.
I knew that the rating system for contrast ratios was "funny" but these two TV's are both Panasonic. The other thing that gets me is that the more expensive model has the weaker rating. Whhhyyyyyyy????? It's like lusting after a pair of twins where one has a better rack and a wart on her nose.

annunaki

annunaki

The 700U is a better looking picture in my opinion. The picture seems more detailed with better, more defined blacks. It seems more natural. Numbers don't always tell the whole story. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The 700U is a better looking picture in my opinion. The picture seems more detailed with better, more defined blacks. It seems more natural. Numbers don't always tell the whole story. ;)
Thank you. Now I can go back to drooling over it without reservation. :)

F

freeride

Audioholic Intern
I WAS getting ready to buy a new LCD, but after comming in here and reading "Sonys have clouding issues", "Sharps have banding issues", Toshibas have Green Push issues" I've about decided to stick with my old 36" XBR.
I would keep in mind that people with issues tend to post about them more so than those that don't. Happy customers are too busy watching TV to post about how great their new set is.

Also, if you read alot about sony issues, it could be that they have the same defect rate as the Samsung, but they have just sold more TVs. It seems like every manufacture has some quality issues, but I think the majority of us don't see it.

I just bought a Mitsubushi 65733 RPT even though there are many posts about issues with them. Mine has not exhibited a single issue that has been seen by some of the unfornate users. It's awesome and defect free so far.

You can also protect yourself a little by buying from a store with a hassle free return policy like Best Buy, Costco, etc. or just buy an extended warrenty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis