Need help deciding which TV to buy

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
So I am currently shopping around for my very 1st LCD TV.
Stumbled upon this website and was hoping to get some info from knowledgeable people.

After reading some, I decided for a LCD TV for my HTPC System in my livingroom instead of a Plasma.
My livingroom is 16' L x 13' W.
I would be watching Movies, playing video games and also doing soem PC stuff like web browsing/etc with it.
I have a good sound system for me so the TV Sound is not important for me.

I was thinking soemthing of 40"-50" LCD TV and need help in getting the right one.
I have a large window on 1 side of my livingroom that brightens up the whole room (window is 5' H x 8' L)
The window is on the right side of my livingroom.

I guess my livingroom getting somewhat bright during the day time (have shades but doesn't fully darken the room) makes me iffy on glossy screens but would like info on both glossy and matte screens.
(I own both a Matte and glossy 17" LCD Monitors for my PC's already but unsure on how the difference would be on such a bigger screen)

So far I was mainly debating on:
  • Samsung 65F and 61F Series.
Main issue I have with those are to get the glossy or the Matte one considering my livingroom setup.

Other ones I was looking at are:
  • Samsung 71F/69F and 81F Series
  • Sony BR4 series
  • Sony V3000 series
  • Sony W3000 series
  • Toshiba LX177 Regza
  • Toshiba HL167 Regza

I am very new to the LCD TV and this would be my very 1st one.
Don't know much about them so hoping for soem help here on which to get and where to get them if possible.

I am happy with my Audio and just need a good LCD TV.

Getting Pros/Cons of the what I listed above and possibly other alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Well, I have been doing a lot of research lately also on similar sets and I'm probably driving myself a little crazy in the process.

Here are my thoughts on the sets I have been looking at and am currently having difficulty deciding between;

Samsung FP-T5084 50" 1080p Plasma;
This TV seems to have everything; great HD picture, great blacks, high resolution, good connectivity and so on. My biggest concerns are the silly looking large plastic bezel and the reflectivity of the screen. But for HD movie performance, it's as good as I've ever seen. The only better picture I have seen is on the $5000 Pioneer.

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U 50" 1080p Plasma;
This is Panasonic's entry into the high-res 1080p plasma field. Great HD picture, great blacks, only 2 HDMI. I really can't tell much difference between this and the Samsung in PQ, and the price of the Panny and the Samsung are basically the same at $2300.

Sony KDL-46XBR4 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD;
The newest offering from Sony is probably the best LCD on the market today. But whether it has a better picture than the above plasmas is not easily apparent to me. I haven't been able to find a shop that has this TV next to any of the other TVs I'm interested in, so I haven't been able to do direct side-by-side comparison, but from what I see the Sony is very impressive. The price is still high though, about $2700. Is it worth $400-500 more than the Plasmas? Probably not, especially since the screen is 4" smaller, but it does have a key advantage - a non reflective screen. Depending on lighting, this may be a key consideration.

Samsung LNT4671F 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD;
Another impressive LCD as far as LCDs go. But the typical oversaturated color issues are still noticable. I like this TV, but can't help noting the Plasmas have better HD movie color and PQ. I don't really notice the difference that 120Hz makes over plasma or other 60Hz panels, but I haven't really spent a lot of time evaluating it either. Priced around $2400, I still don't see why I would settle for 4" less screen realty vs. the 50" plasmas.

I have also seen the Samsung 81F LED Backlighting series, but again not side-by-side with any other TV so I couldn't really discern the differences. The 81F however does come with a very steep "coolness" upcharge for the LED feature, putting it near $4000 for 46" of screen real estate.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 2 plasmas at the top of my list. I have to go look at them again. My viewing area has a double french door directly opposite the wall the TV is going to be on, and a large window to the right as well. However, the vast majority of my use for this TV will be nighttime viewing of movie material, so I'm not too concerned about the ambient light and reflectivity issues of Plasmas.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The new Panasonic plasma have some of the most burn resistant phosphors on the market. And they typically measure only 2nd to Pioneer plasmas, so far as image fidelity.

I soon need a new computer display, and right now, a 42" 1080P Panasonic plasma looks to be the ideal display for this purpose. If I had to buy one today, that is what I would go with.

-Chris

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
I am leaning on a LCD TV vs a Plasma due to the following:

• Big window on the right side of my livingroom
  • Use it also as a HTPC Monitor for PC Related programs/games

Right now I am torn between the Sony and Samsung LCD TVs.
trying to decide and justify what to get and what size.

My Sofa is around 9-10' from where teh TV will be and my love seat will be around 6' away.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I am leaning on a LCD TV vs a Plasma due to the following:

• Big window on the right side of my livingroom
  • Use it also as a HTPC Monitor for PC Related programs/games

My Sofa is around 9-10' from where teh TV will be and my love seat will be around 6' away.
Well, the new Panasonic 1080P units have an anti-glare coating similar to that used on LCDs. So glare is not much of an issue with these compared to other plasmas.

As for computer use: that is my intended application. And if you also plan to use it for HT, the plasma will provide better image quality than a current-technology LCD television.

-Chris

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
So you saying that for the most bang for the buck .... Plasma > LCD at this time for all my needs?

And which Plasma are good right now?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
So you saying that for the most bang for the buck .... Plasma > LCD at this time for all my needs?

And which Plasma are good right now?
Pioneer has, for the last few years, had the best measured qualities. Panasonic has almost always been 'almost' as good in terms of measurable image quality. However, Pioneer costs substantially more than Panasonic. Panasonic also has a 1st rate warranty, and they even provide you with a loaner unit if they have to take off your panel to repair it. I already purchased one Panasonic plasma. Now I am almost ready to buy another. Note: You need to use HDMI input to Panasonic plasma panels to get use of full 1080 resolution.

-Chris

Last edited:
K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Well, I just came back from Best Buy.
I don't know what it is but I am really leaning towards LCDs.

Saw the Sony V2500/V3000/W3000 and Samsung 61F/66F/71F all on the same feed.
(I didn't get to see a Sony XBR4 so was not able to do a full compare, but seen 1 at CC and it is a nice picture and similar to the Samsung 71F when I did saw it.)
I really did not notice any major difference in picture quality up close and personal.
1 thing I did notice is that the Sony somehow have more brighter colors.
I read soemwhere about some special feature in the Sony and that this may be what caused this.

1 thing I am VERY sure of is that I HATE the Glossy screens.
All of them are fine when there is any picture in the screen BUT once a Black is shown, its insta-mirror reflection.

Considering my livingroom beign well-lit, non-glossy/matte screens are for me.

For the price, Samsung seems to be the winner for me and the 61F is what I am leaning towards to.

But would liek to know, what is the difference between the following:
  • Samsung 61F
  • Samsung 66F
  • Samsung 69F
  • Sony v3000
  • Sony w3000
  • Sony XBR4

Right now, for the price, I am leaning towards the Samsung 61F but would like to know why I may want to chose the other Matte Screen LCD TV I listed.
Picture qualitywise, they all looked about the same to me ...

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I went with the 4061f and it seems you are thinking about the same things I was when shopping around.

I am quite picky when it comes to picture quality, and I am very satisfied with the 61.

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Thing that gets me is that the Sony XBR4 and Samsung 71F models are mostly shown on the floor playing on a Blu-Ray feed.
Was wondering if you can possibly get a near similar picture if you play Blu-Ray on the 61F.

When I went to this 2nd BB store, the salesman there actually stated get the 61F if I want the "Best" Matte Screen LCD.
Of course he also said the difference between the 61F vs the 71F is the glossy screen and that the 71F has 120mhz processor and the 61F has 24mhz.
Isnt the 120hz the refresh rate and that teh main difference between the 2 are the glossy screen and 60hz vs 120hz refresh?

Maybe I am not very well educated on TV but I didn't see any major picture quality diffrence except when I saw the Blu-ray feed.
but its not a good comparison as I didn't see a 61F on Blu-Ray feed for a proper comparison.
(Also, does the 61F have HDMI 1.3?)

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
If u're really sure on getting an LCD, don't forget to compare their black-levels. At the time I was looking around, plasmas won that fight hands down. I've got windows all over my apartment, and the Panny Plasma I have has not really given me issues with reflections...(except when it's off ofcourse :)

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Well, I was also looking at some Plasmas on display and I really did not see much of a difference either on Picture Quality of LCD vs Plasma there.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
This is a common problem I have with reviewers, especially on CNET; they review a 1080p set, but they base their test results on the set's 1080i processing. The obvious reason for this method of testing is so they can compare the set side-by-side with other tv sets (including those that are not 1080p) from the same source signal. But in my opinion this is bogus.

The local Magnolia in my area has a display area where they pipe through a 1080i signal to all the sets around the room, but again, no 1080p signal. Ask them to put out a 1080p signal and they can't do it for one reason or another. This makes comparing the sets in their native resolution very challenging. If you're lucky they may have your desired set in one of the special viewing rooms where they have a BD player connected, but then you can't see it side by side with other sets, so you're back to square one.

Do you ever get the feeling that there is some kind of conspiracy... why else would it be so difficult to view TVs in their native 1080p resolution side by side with other comparable sets?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Well, I was also looking at some Plasmas on display and I really did not see much of a difference either on Picture Quality of LCD vs Plasma there.
From my experience, most plasmas seem to have a better black level and more natural color tones, but LCDs tend to have brighter displays. The effect on various source material is the LCDs can often look like they have more pop, particularly in a brightly lit store display. But what I have also noticed is the plasmas tend to have better off-center angled viewing. Then you have the whole reflectivity thing. Aside from Samsung, which makes highly reflective LCD screens, the LCDs tend to stand up better in bright rooms.

Unfortunately, there is no clear winner between these technologies. It all depends on what you watch and where you watch. For example, for lights out HD movie material, I prefer Plasma over LCD, but this is only one type of material I watch. For sports, SD or low-res DVD (480p) you have a lot of other factors that come into play. Often, it comes down to compromises, so you have to sacrifice something to the best of something else.

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
I am pretty much decided now that I am getting the Samsung 4061F.
Its a good size for my Livingroom and nice price as well.
Gives me enough cash to buy a Entertainment Center Case for it.

Right now I am going to buy the Case 1st soemtime this week and get the 61F on Black Friday in a couple of weeks.

At this time I can get the 4061F at $1331 after a 10% discount and will pick it up instead of delivery at CC.
Hoping that come Black Friday it will be reduced even more

And oh yeah.
My family love to watch DvD Movies in our livingroom.
Also have my sons Wii in it for gaming.
And with my HTPC Hook up to it, am planning to do some web surfing and PC gaming on it also.
From what I read, LCD TV is best for my needs and why I am choosing LCD vs Plasma.
My Livingroom is also bright during the day so a Matte Screen LCD would be best for me I think.

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Oh question.

Is it worth it to buy an Extended Warranty for a LCD TV?
Planning to use my Visa card to buy it in a few days.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
Oh question.

Is it worth it to buy an Extended Warranty for a LCD TV?
Planning to use my Visa card to buy it in a few days.
I would not get the warranty... I have faith in samsung. You will find opinions are split 50/50 on this.

One of my big selling points for the 61 vs the newer 71 was the matte screen, and boy am I glad I went with it. I sometimes eat dinner while watching a movie, so I keep a light on beside me. If I had a glossy screen, I'd get a nice big reflection in the middle of the screen of a lamp. Not so with the matte 61f :D

I think you will be pleased with this tv, especially at that price. I watched the 61f fall from $2400 in July to 1500 in October, which is when I purchased.

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Thats what I felt also.
Even in the barely lit BB/CC showroom, I was noticing the glare on the Glossy screens.
That just sold me that Matte screen is for me for screen type.

I was reading about some TBE issues on the 71F and unsure if its fixed on the 69F.
Considering they are newer models, I decided on the cheaper 61F.
Like I said before, when running on the same feed ... I really did not notice a difference in Picture quality.

The Samsung 61F is around $1450 now at CC and I can get a 10% Discount when I buy it before the year is over via the AAA Membership Discount.
I am thinking of waiting to buy it on Black Friday in hope of a lil more price Drop + 10% Discount.

Right now I am trying to get rid of my old Entertainment center case and buying a new one.
Already found a good Entertainment center that can hold my soon to be new LCD TV for $199.
(Think it can hold upto 47" W)
Just have to get rid of the old one so I can have room in my small apartment.

I am hoping that the 40" will suffice me for now when I use it in my livingroom.
TV will be around 6' from the Loveseat and around 11-12' from the sofa.
Was debating on the 46" but not sure it will be worth the extra $500 for 6" more diagonally (3" across)
Any1 know if 40" will be good for a room my size?
But of course if for some crazy reason when Black Friday comes and a 4661F is not too much away from my budget ... I may just get that.
I really wanted to get soemthing <$2000 and even if possible <$1500 and the 4061F seems to be it for now.
But would getting a 46" vs a 40" really make a difference for me and my viewing situation?

If wondering why I chosing CC to buy it from.
Well ... I can pick it up at CC and thinking that if any issues arise within a few months, I can just drive there.
Also saves me any possible shipping cost online and it seems to be the cheapest deal for me with discount included.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm pretty sure that Sony's LCD screens are made by Samsung so the difference would be in the control circuitry. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Jim

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Decided to get the 61F come Black Friday.

Iffy on the 69F due to TBE Issues I read about and didn't read much complaints on the 61F.
4061F is around $1400 at Amazon and the 4661F around $1800.
Hoping some price drop to near $1500 for teh 4661F on the 23rd :D
/prays

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis