Need expert advice if an external Amp will improve my system?

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Spending hours listening to some of the recommended materials, and played with all the available setting on the subs. In the large room size that i am in, we narrowed down to 2 settings which we prefer and produce a great amount of satisfaction.

(A) 1 port open, EQ2, Q Control 0.7
(B) 2 ports open, EQ2, Q Contorl 0.7

Both of this produced some really quality bass and sound. It largely depend on what type of songs that i play. If i play R&B type of songs, (A) works great.
However for other type of songs, (B) works better as it produce more sound stage like listening in a concert.

Me and my wife decided to go with option (B) for now. And maybe change to option (A) once in a while if we are into R&B song day. So far, i am happy with the performance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Spending hours listening to some of the recommended materials, and played with all the available setting on the subs. In the large room size that i am in, we narrowed down to 2 settings which we prefer and produce a great amount of satisfaction.

(A) 1 port open, EQ2, Q Control 0.7
(B) 2 ports open, EQ2, Q Contorl 0.7

Both of this produced some really quality bass and sound. It largely depend on what type of songs that i play. If i play R&B type of songs, (A) works great.
However for other type of songs, (B) works better as it produce more sound stage like listening in a concert.

Me and my wife decided to go with option (B) for now. And maybe change to option (A) once in a while if we are into R&B song day. So far, i am happy with the performance.
That's awesome. It sounds like you guys gave it an honest try and came to slightly different conclusion. I don't think there's really "one setting to rule them all", and I might change it between certain movies and music myself.

You've come a ways in your journey and learned a li'l bit! I hope things are improved for you now!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, can vary quite a bit. Might be more accurate than a wife, tho :)
Lol! ‘Specially MY wife.
I will give her credit though. Even as technically challenged as she is, she will happily drag the BT speaker(which doesn’t always like to connect etc) around everywhere she goes to avoid her phone speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah. Agree with @Pogre. Nice job!
I can only hope you’re not missing the ol pb1k’s.....

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Yeah. Agree with @Pogre. Nice job!
I can only hope you’re not missing the ol pb1k’s.....
Those dual PB1000s served their duties well when i owned them. Now that i have owned dual HSU, i have a clear comparison.

PB1ks sounded loud, but there is no vibration that i was looking for. And the bass sometimes sounded boomy in some songs that i played, it may likely due to distortion because the dual were trying to pump out the output in the room size i am in and tried their very best.

Now that i played the same songs using HSU, i only realize what a clean and poweful bass sound like......and more so, now it's vibrating couch :).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much commission did you receive from HSU? ;):eek::p:p.........lol
Ha ha! I literally lol'd.

I love my HSU subs but if I could I'd have SVS. The subs they make that would be big enough for me cost a lot more than a pair of VTF-3 MK5s do tho.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Ha ha! I literally lol'd.

I love my HSU subs but if I could I'd have SVS. The subs they make that would be big enough for me cost a lot more than a pair of VTF-3 MK5s do tho.
I think HSU falls right in the sweet spot of price per performance. There are other brands that have great reviews, but only until you listent to it personally to be able to say if you love it.
Having said that, i don't think it's worth the additional $$ to get way much higher performance from the branded series anyway unless u r into feature like controlling the subs from a phone app.

Unless one day, i am rich enough to own a big house with a dedicated home theater room, then it's time to invest more $$ into a higher end subs to achieve that GOD LIKE experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis