Need advices about buying a mp3 player

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Hi,

I had an iPod Nano 4th that I used for many years but the battery died recently, I liked the sound quality despite the small storage capacity. I'd like to find a new mp3 player but I'm not sure what to buy. Recently I tried that mp3 player :

TIMMKOO MP3 Player with Bluetooth, 4.0" Full Touchscreen Mp4 Mp3 Player with Speaker, Portable HiFi Sound Mp3 Music Player with Bluetooth, Voice Recorder, E-Book, Supports up to 512GB TF Card (Black) - Walmart.com

and the sound quality was horrible especially when I turned up the volume, my iPod sounded so much better. I have a large mp3 music collection "168GB" on my laptop and I'd like to find a mp3 player with an SD storage expandable up to 512GB, compatible with iTune or not, I don't care too much about all the extra stuff but a high sound quality.

Thanks for your help.

Serge

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't know much about iPod Nano, but iPods will connect to car stereos, etc., if that is factor for you. I have a Teac CD player that recognizes an iPod, which is very cool. I had iPod Classics over the years, but now I have an iPod Touch. I think it's 6th Gen. You can find them fairly cheap. Ipod Touch also has Blueteeth which is an option if you have a modern receiver at home. I don't use that though as it hasn't been a super reliable connection for me.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Have you solved your problem?

If not and if you are only looking for something for the car, does your car's entertainment system have a USB input? You might want to keep a USB stick just always plugged in and you an have everything you want with you. Car entertainment systems are notorious for being stupid about indexing music on a stick. Many will play the songs on an album in alphabetical order instead of album order. But that can be corrected using a drive sort software like drivesort.exe.

Of course a lot of people bluetooth their phones to the car now to play music. I don't like to do that but many people do.

If you are looking for something to play music though headphones while out and about, and don't want to use your phone, finding something good is a real challenge. The whole standalone music player market is pretty hollow. Many people use their phones now.

I did want a new portable music player because my 7th gen iPod Classic with the 160gb drive is now not large enough for my music and it's quite old and probably won't last longer. I also don't like bluetooth and didn't want another thing (headphones) to charge.

There is basically no middle market for portable music players. It's either really cheap stuff for $50 or very expensive stuff. I ended up getting a Fiio M11S https://www.fiio.com/m11s . Excellent sound. Plays FLAC and ALAC as well as MP3 and AAC (M4a) . It has a MicroSD slot so space isn't a problem. My music library is now about 170GB. I also wanted to use wired headphones. It's a bit large and heavy. And none of these units have good battery life these days.

I really don't understand why no one can make something as good as the iPod Classic was anymore.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Have you solved your problem?

If not and if you are only looking for something for the car, does your car's entertainment system have a USB input? You might want to keep a USB stick just always plugged in and you an have everything you want with you. Car entertainment systems are notorious for being stupid about indexing music on a stick. Many will play the songs on an album in alphabetical order instead of album order. But that can be corrected using a drive sort software like drivesort.exe.

Of course a lot of people bluetooth their phones to the car now to play music. I don't like to do that but many people do.

If you are looking for something to play music though headphones while out and about, and don't want to use your phone, finding something good is a real challenge. The whole standalone music player market is pretty hollow. Many people use their phones now.

I did want a new portable music player because my 7th gen iPod Classic with the 160gb drive is now not large enough for my music and it's quite old and probably won't last longer. I also don't like bluetooth and didn't want another thing (headphones) to charge.

There is basically no middle market for portable music players. It's either really cheap stuff for $50 or very expensive stuff. I ended up getting a Fiio M11S https://www.fiio.com/m11s . Excellent sound. Plays FLAC and ALAC as well as MP3 and AAC (M4a) . It has a MicroSD slot so space isn't a problem. My music library is now about 170GB. I also wanted to use wired headphones. It's a bit large and heavy. And none of these units have good battery life these days.

I really don't understand why no one can make something as good as the iPod Classic was anymore.
Hi CrazyFingers,

Thanks for your message. Well I've resolved this problem a while ago actually and I bought a refurbished LG V30 phone to use as a mp3 player. I also bought a SD card and copied all my discography on it and it's a large music library like yours. I play all my music with VLC player and it sounds really great, I'm very satisfied with it. The portable music player before sucked and the sound really bad and I'm happy that I returned it, I know there are better mp3 players but they cost way too much. I know it's a shame they gave up on making iPod classic but that's the way it is unfortunately.

Have a great day,

Serge

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis